Thread: Hey there from Austin TX

Jlkelly88

Talking Hey there from Austin TX

Hey everyone. I am from Austin TX. I am an artist and I have a zoo at my house. All reptiles, amphibians, and arachnids though. I am allergic to fuzzy things. I found this forum after I picked up a toad from the local pet store. He is a Suriname Toad I was told. I can not find much info on him online. But I think I found his scientific name... Smooth-sided toad (Bufo guttatus).

I have him in a 20 gallon long for now on some compressed coconut fiber. He seems like he is doing fine on it. I need to pick up some dechlorination drops from the store tomorrow before I can put his water dish in the tank with him.

I am assuming he is wild caught, he was at the store with two other females. I wanted to get a pair but I decided against it because I do not know much about this specific toad or how to breed them. If anyone has any info on these guys please let me know. Is it easy to breed them? Should I even attempt? I am contemplating going back for a female.

Also, I have my eye out for some Amazon Milk Frogs, Mossy Frogs, Tomato Frogs, and Pixies.

Looks like an awesome forum with a lot of good information.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hey there from Austin TX

Welcome to the forum. I like Austin a lot. And there's great fieldherping around there. Your toad requires the same care detailed in the "Toad Basic Care" article linked on the left of every page on this site. They like it somewhat warm though and don't let them get cold in the winter. They're not easy to come by so if you do want that female then get her now or you might not have another chance ;(. They are wild caught, unfortunately. I'd love to see photos of your frogs and toads please .
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jlkelly88

Thanks I will check out the basic toad care section. For now he is the only toad I have. Do you think I could successfully breed them in captivity? Do you know if it has been done?

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Jlkelly88 View Post
    He is a Suriname Toad I was told. I can not find much info on him online. But I think I found his scientific name... Smooth-sided toad (Bufo guttatus).
    First of all, let me welcome you aboard. So do you have a Surname toad (Pipa pipa) and a smooth-sided toad (Rhaebo guttatus)?

Jlkelly88

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    First of all, let me welcome you aboard. So do you have a Surname toad (Pipa pipa) and a smooth-sided toad (Rhaebo guttatus)?
    I just have a smooth sided toad but it was sold in the store as a Suriname toad.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I don't know if they've been bred in captivity. I doubt it though but there's no reason not to try.

Jlkelly88

True, I am going to have to go back and see if they still have some girls. I am worried about parasites though. Since they are wild caught.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

If you look in Kurt's article on White's (might be Red Eyes, not sure) he tells you what medication and dosage you need to treat them for parasites.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Jlkelly88 View Post
    I just have a smooth sided toad but it was sold in the store as a Suriname toad.
    Don't you just hate when pet store do that? A Suriname toad is a totally aquatic frog of the family Pipidae or tongueless frogs. Its the family in which you will find the African clawed frog in.

Jlkelly88

Yeah it is rather irritating when they re selling an animal but don't even know what it is called... lol

Kurt

I see it all the time.

Bearnandos

Hi
    I also have a zoo in my home - dogs, marine and tropical fish, various frogs, tortoise and fly river turtles....but no arachnids as my husband has a phobia..we can be newbies on this site together lol

Kurt

Fly River turtles? Now there is a really cool turtle! Expensive too!

Bearnandos

The first fly river was a hatchling I bought was only £45 8 years ago, I believe it was a accidental delivery...did the cardinal sin and bought without knowing much about the turtle The shopkeeper told me they only grow to 8" head to tail max so I thought he would be perfect for my 260L community tank.
    He is now around 14" and in his 3rd tank.........and will grow to double that size.
    Now he is with a female fly around the same size as her owner did not have the space for her size - she knew we were planning to build a 600 imp gal tropical pond for our fly river after the new year.
    So not really expensive for the turtles - but super expensive to house well in UK....gonna cost me around £10,000 (US$16,000) oh well learnt my lesson.

Jlkelly88

Quote Originally Posted by Bearnandos View Post
    The first fly river was a hatchling I bought was only £45 8 years ago, I believe it was a accidental delivery...did the cardinal sin and bought without knowing much about the turtle The shopkeeper told me they only grow to 8" head to tail max so I thought he would be perfect for my 260L community tank.
    He is now around 14" and in his 3rd tank.........and will grow to double that size.
    Now he is with a female fly around the same size as her owner did not have the space for her size - she knew we were planning to build a 600 imp gal tropical pond for our fly river after the new year.
    So not really expensive for the turtles - but super expensive to house well in UK....gonna cost me around £10,000 (US$16,000) oh well learnt my lesson.
    Those really are amazing turtle sand you are lucky to have them. It does suck that is will cost you so much to keep them in the UK. =(

Kurt

Never thought about the expenses of keeping them. I was always kept away by the prices of these turtles, over $1,000 each.

Bearnandos

They cost that much now in UK, but most specimens I have seen are in poor condition....think due to incorrect diet - too much protein
    I have my heart set on a couple of the rarer darts - but will not be getting any until I know I have alot more experience as they are in the region of £600 a pair here........oh I wished I lived in USA lol.

Kurt

I take it that things are expensive in the UK?

Thread Information