Thread: Soaking?

herbaltree

Smile Soaking?

Hello!

I'll soon be getting an albino C.cranwelli (mega excited!) and whilst doing a load of research, I noticed that a few members on here spoke about 'soaking' their frogs. I just wondered what the purpose of this is and how necessary is it? In my set-up I have a shallow water dish which I assumed would be adequate for topping up moisture and using as a loo?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Soaking?

Quote Originally Posted by herbaltree View Post
    Hello!

I'll soon be getting an albino C.cranwelli (mega excited!) and whilst doing a load of research, I noticed that a few members on here spoke about 'soaking' their frogs. I just wondered what the purpose of this is and how necessary is it? In my set-up I have a shallow water dish which I assumed would be adequate for topping up moisture and using as a loo?

Thanks!
    Soaking the frog yourself is not actually necessary. Although it is beneficial to soak them once a week to help remove old sheds that didn't quite come off all the way and also allows you to interact with your frog somewhat. While frequent handling is frowned upon and causes stress as Pacman Frogs aren't to keen on being handled. It is still beneficial. It also allows them to exchange stored water within their body. Some will use their given water source on their own frequently while others hardly at all so if you soak your frog once a week or so it will help the with hydration and removing old sheds, but also allows them to get used to you so they are not scared everytime you're around or have to handle the frog to clean the enclosure.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Nationality
    [Canada]

would you please clarify - soaking in what? there are a few advices on a forum - soaking in pedialyte and with honey, which one is better for regular soaking? or just dechlorinated water is sufficient?

IvoryReptiles

Regular soaking is just that......regular water source in a tub while you spot clean the enclosure is a convenient way to do it. We feed & clean frog nightly because of our situation. Once a week, they are soaked while we do thorough cleaning.....it's usually no longer than 5 minutes per frog, but it's enough to make sure they are hydrated & cleaner. The honey/pedialyte soaks are for medicinal purposes usually.

herbaltree

And it all becomes clear! Thanks for your replies!

Nationality
    [Canada]

thank you so much! that is what I'll try to do for my guy.

Thread Information