Thread: Peacock Ornate Tree Frog, Leptopelis vermiculatus

itzjezze

Default Peacock Ornate Tree Frog, Leptopelis vermiculatus

I just aquired my first frog. I have a 10Gal aquarium, undertank heater on half of the tank with a 60watt red bulb above it. I keep half of the tank warmer than the other side and keep an average of 60-70F (Coolside) 75-85F(Warmside). I use coco loose substrate, I have a few grape branches and some fake viny leafy bunches on the walls but nothing setup for climbing yet and I have a few real bamboo plants in 3/4 of the corners. And ofcourse I have a small half circle hiding log wich is under the heating bulb with the undertank heater underneath of that.
    From what I understand, other than the lack of hight in the terrarium, I have everything setup correctly to keep my little guy happy. We got his 3 days ago and he spends 98.99% of his time at the very top of the cage staring at the roof. He rarely is seen at the bottom of the tank but he is finaly eating now. I read that he eats 6 crickets a day but the (large) crickets that he eats are almost as big as he is is it true that he realy needs 6 a day?
    So anyways my question other than the cricket consumption is: is this the correct setup for a treefrog like this? and is it normal for him to spend all day staring at the roof?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Peacock Ornate Tree Frog, Leptopelis vermiculatus

The set-up seems ok to me, thought I am not a big fan of red lights. With the heating pad is it really necessary? As far as eating get smaller crickets and there is not set rule as to how many the frog has to eat on a given day.

itzjezze

All of the care sheets recomended the undertank heater, does that harm the frog? In the past 4 days he has ate a total of 3 larg crickets. I called the pet shop, they said they fed him 5-6week old large crickets so im assuming that is what petsmart (where I bought the "large" crickets) carries, they only have small and large and if not a red light than what would you suggest? I need to keep the temp up somehow and I cant keep the whole room at 80 during the winter lol

Kurt

Heating pads are fine, but generally, we mount them on the side of the tank to prevent thermal shock, which can occur when cool, moist substrate comes in contact with heated glass. On the side of the tank, this is less likely to occur. Instead of using a red "night light" try using a ceramic heat emitter. They produce no light, allowing nocturnal frogs the darkness they need to function, whilst keeping them warm. They screw into any clamp-light or standard light socket.

itzjezze

Thank you for the help! I moved the tank heater to the side of the tank (not a fun task btw ) and I will be stopping by petco today to grab a ceramic heater. He seems to be eating a cricket every day now and I see him on the floor more often as far as I know he slept all night last night wich is when he is usualy active but I hope this new ceramic heater will help and I usualy had the windows blinds open so I closed them thinking that this would help also since there are several street lights outside.
    I had one more question, during the summer we get temps between 85-100F, I know he can handle the 80s but if it gets to 95-100 would that make him sick? if so, do you recomend anything or should I just go buy a AC?

BTW! this smiley is crazy XD

Kurt

Temps about 90 could be harmful. AC would help a lot with that. Ceiling fans too. Cold moves downward, so you could put a bowl of ice cubes on top of the tank. Just monitor the temperatures to make sure you don't cool him too much.

Also, make sure he is getting enough calcium. I had one that suffered from hypocalcemia and I had to give it calcium orally for a while.

itzjezze

Ok I will try fans and ice if I dont have a AC by summer.
    I feed my crickets calcium food and I dust them once a week.

Kurt

So was I. Just monitor the calcium given to your frog. A good way to make sure they are getting their calcium is to feed/dust just before the lights go out. That way the crickets don't have enough time to clean the dust off themselves.

itzjezze

Ok will do thanx so I noticed some white mold growing on the underneath of the branches in my terrarium yesterday, is this bad? also the coco fiber is really wet, somewhat muddy because I have to spray it a lot to keep the humidity up, is that ok?

Kurt

Your tank is overly wet. The substrate should not be soggy and mold generally occurs in very humid situations. So you will want to cut back on the spraying a bit. Remember your frog comes from East Africa, a fairly dry place, so you really don't need to make its enclosure all that humid. Also make sure there is enough ventilation for your frog. Treefrogs don't do well in stagnant conditions.

itzjezze

Hmm, ok I have a full screen top on the cage, should I put a fan next to it? lol he just croaked at me I read that I am supposed to keep the humidity between 50-70%, when I get home from work or wake up in the morning it reads 40% at lowest, is that ok? I usualy spray right away when it shows 40%. Also, what is the best location for the humidifier and thermometer? I have both of them inside the terrarium at the top left on the back part of the glass.

Kurt

Don't bother with a fan, let it air out on its own. From now on just spray once a day before going to bed. Just don't go nuts and soak him down like you are trying to put out a fire. This how I maintain my treefrogs. I don't worry about the humidity much, I just spray them every night and they are fine.

itzjezze

I have been using store bought gallon drinking water with chlorine remover as instructed by the pet store but my mom works in a laboratory and she can filter gallons of De-Ionized water for me for free, would this be the same thing or better for my frog? Also I have been spraying less and the mold is slowly going away and my frog burrowed under his log hideout the other day lol I have read that this is common for these frogs and this was the first time I have seen him under the log and the first time Ive seen him sleep on the ground and then the day after that I noticed he was sitting in his water dish. I hope this means that he is finally getting comfortable

deengo1975

If your mom can filter the water for free, I would go with that option.

Thread Information