Thread: New to tree frogs: heating w/o drying?

aquamentus11

Default New to tree frogs: heating w/o drying?

As stated, I'm new to tree frogs, but had been looking into getting one for months. I just moved and just prior to, when I went to go say goodbye to my local pet store (we had a great relationship) I ran across a little blue phase Rhacophorus spp. and had to get him. My girlfriend named him Marzipan because he looks like he's made out of it. Anyway, I read up on the species (apparently these little guys aren't true R. dennysi, but a closely related species) and have had a hard time finding solid info on them. I've been keeping him like a WTF just at slightly lower daytime temps (~75F ambient w/approx. 80 basking spot underneath the UVB bulb) and he seems to be doing very well. He eats 2 1/4" to 1/2" crickets every night or so. He's very tiny, probably about 1" long, but eats well and is active. I've got him in a 5.5 gal with pothos and another plant that I forget the name of. I have sphagnum for substrate now, but am thinking of switching to paper towel so that I can let the crickets run in the tank for him to hunt (as opposed to the glass bowl I've been using). My concern is for the winter. I have a tiny heat mat stuck to the side now, but we all know how worthless those are as primary heat sources. I prefer lamps when heating arboreal animals, but these tend to dry things out. Any suggestions on how to effectively heat an arboreal frog without drying him out? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: New to tree frogs: heating w/o drying?

I would be very concered using a heat lamp on such a small tank. The smaller the tank the faster they heat up. There is also no room for a variation in temps and humidity within the tank.

aquamentus11

any ideas on what i could use? i'd like to keep the heat up high for him, so i kind of discounted UTH, but i've read that other people use it. sounds to me like i'm just going to go with a 12x12x18" or something along those lines. then i'd try running my 60W CHE on low. i'd think a taller cage would dry out less easily

InfinitysDaughter

I have a 12x12x18 and my frog is stedily growing out of it. If you can wait, save for at least an 18x18x18 though 18x18x24 is the best for whites from what I've read. I use UTH's and one keeps my smaller tank (12x12x12, roughly 5.5 gal) at a nice constant temp with a slight variation from one side to the other (the UTH only covers half the bottom). The one on my larger tank for my whites dosn't quite warm the tank all the way to the top, though. I have a second small UTH that I put on the side towards the top of the tank if the temps start to drop too low.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You average room temperature is going to be what you need to base heating off of.

If your room averages 70 to 75 in the daytime, a simple 10 to 13 watt Compact Florescent will be more that enough for your tank. It will also help the plants if you buy a Revel 6500K color temp version .... available at Walmart for about 5 bucks.

The closer you put the bulb to the tank the warmer it will be so if to warm, raise the light.

As for drying out the tank, closing up some of the top (if screen material) will retain humidity and keep heat from escaping. Mist the tank at least twice a day too.

I believe in your area though, simply keeping him in a non air conditioned room would be perfect. Probably would only need some light for the plants since temps in the mid 60s to 70 degrees at night and up to about 80 in the day would be perfect for him. Also, keep a water dish in with him with water no deeper than his chin when sitting.

And finally, like InfinitysDaughter states, go bigger on the tank. :-)
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

aquamentus11

ok, great. thanks for all the help guys.

Thread Information