Thread: Frog just ate some bark

cyris69

Exclamation Frog just ate some bark

I just wanted to know what will happen. I was feeding him a worm in his viv and hit bit up a nickle sized piece of bark/wood and ate it then ate the worm. Will he puke this up or is this something that should be taken to a vet asap?

The wood particles are from the 25% organic soil to 75% coco to help with the plants. He has never done this before so I wasn't sure if I should be super alarmed or he will puke it up later. I didn't have time to grab him before he swallowed it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sublime

A piece of bark isn't good, keep an eye on him make sure he soaks in water a lot. If he starts showing weird behavior (not usual), take him to a vet. Take it as a lesson, I hope everything will be ok though .

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

cyris69

Thanks it really pisses me off this happened but it's my fault. He is in the aquatic area most of the time. That is were he poops and stays most the day. I guess it's smaller than I though after thinking about it, it was almost the size of a cricket but pretty thin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

cyris69

I'm going to add an extra inch of coco fiber to the surface to prevent this.should have done that to begin with

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog just ate some bark

That happened to my Pixie when I first got her. I was terrified that she would die, but luckily she passed it within a couple of days. 7 years later and she's still doing great. Just give him some time and I think he will be okay.

Sublime

Yeah, I used to use a 50/50 mix of top soil and coconut fiber. It started becoming a problem when there was always pieces of mulch in the top soil he could ingest, so I went back to being safe and use 100% coconut fiber now in his tank. I fed him in another tank when I use to have that soil with mulch in it, but now it's much more convenient feeding him in his own tank with all coconut fiber. The main reason it seems that a lot of people like to use top soil is that it's so cheap! You can get a 40lb of top soil for $2, whereas with coconut fiber you get a brick for like $4-5.

cyris69

I'm feeling better now, the little guy seems fine. You can get fine top soil which is black dirt and sand for 89 cents a bag.the organic potting soil I used was about 10$ for a very small bad.

cyris69

I think he may have puked it up I see a similar sized piece in the water floating around though I cant be sure...

cyris69

Just finished adding a layer of coco to his tank to cover all the random wood chips.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by cyris69 View Post
    Just finished adding a layer of coco to his tank to cover all the random wood chips.
    Always and I mean always inspect the substrate you are using for your frogs. Wood chips most of the time = impaction. Hopefully he will be fine. They're tough animals, just follow the advice given above.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

hope hes ok, make sure he poops and keep him in his water i feed my guy by tongs and in the water he eats on his own.

cyris69

He just pooped but he ate crickets before the wood so we shall see in a few days. I did notice that floating wood chip in the water which there is never any in there. He spends most the day/night lounging in his 4gal aquatic section. He usually has a movement every day.

cyris69

Sorry for so many updates, he just ate about 8 adult crickets just now so his appetite is still there.

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by cyris69 View Post
    Sorry for so many updates, he just ate about 8 adult crickets just now so his appetite is still there.
    That's good. Usually when a frog is suffering from bad impaction, they won't eat.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

cyris69

Good deal, he destroyed a jumbo wiggler about twenty minutes after the crickets as well.

cyris69

He had another movement about an hour ago so his second one since the swallowing so I think he either passed it or puked it up.

cyris69

Just replaced his other filter with a Amazon.com: Penn Plax Cascade 300 Internal Filter for Aquariums: Pet Supplies
    and added the amazing Amazon.com: Seachem Purigen 250ml: Pet Supplies

This filter finally never clogs up with bedding and had a canister type filtration media area.

Sublime

It's like Twitter in this thread. #frogimpaction

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    It's like Twitter in this thread. #frogimpaction
    LMAO #frogimpaction

Thread Information