Thread: One Gray Tree Frog calls, the other doesn't

LizardMama

Default One Gray Tree Frog calls, the other doesn't

I'm real curious about why it's just 1 Gray Tree Frog males calls/sings while the other does not. Inconnu (my first Gray Tree Frog) called before I got Poco (who was half his size when I caught him). Once Poco grew up he started singing and still sings to this day while Inconnu does not. Inconnu eats, he is active, but he doesn't call/sing anymore. Why? There is 1 female in the cage with them, she's bigger than they are and does not call/sing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mrzoggs

Default Re: One Gray Tree Frog calls, the other doesn't

would you mistake one for the other? maybe he is calling but you think its the other one?

maybe over some territorial issue?

i have no idea at all...

LizardMama

I check whenever I hear a call and it is always Poco, who prefers to stay dark gray while Inconnu prefers to stay light gray. That's mainly one of two ways I tell Poco from Inconnu. Poco likes being held while Inconnu does not and Poco stays dark gray while Inconnu almost always stays light gray (when not he's light gray with his marking a darker gray)

mrzoggs

im sure he will be fine. not sure why though. i tried google but couldnt find much. just noticed your from va. what part? where and how did you catch your frogs? dont mean to hijack or go off topic. was just curious. i live on the water and hear them call all night but i went back there and couldnt find a thing.

LizardMama

Inconnu I found on the side of my house in February, Primavera was on the arm of my lawn chair which was on my back porch and Poco was the only frog I found in the wooded area of my property. My property has a creek running through it. I just had a container with me for the first two (Primavera I near lost, she hopped from the chair and I thought I had lost her then I went and checked the side of my house and there she was, I came up from behind her and caught her). Poco though was a surprise to me, I caught him in my hands and carried him up the hill in April (same day as Primavera). Now my Barking Tree Frog I found of my front porch, just sitting there (caught with a container). All 4 eat and are healthy (Barking Tree Frog is a juvenile, green in color with some yellow dots starting to form on his or her back. His/her name is Verde).

I live in Dinwiddie, southern part of Virginia. Check the ground and the trees, these guys can hide/blend in with their surroundins very well!

Males in the wild will sometimes set themselves up as "non-calling satellite males". Meaning they will sit quietly nearby a calling male with the hopes of intercepting females the calling dude attracts. There can apparently be a little wrestling contest for the prime calling location and the loser sometimes adopts the satellite strategy instead of vacating the area completely (I've never seen the wrestling myself, only read about it). This could be what's going on.

LizardMama

I haven't seen any wrestling or fighting or heard of anything at night that would be a fight in process. Inconnu usually stays in one corner while Poco will either go to the corner opposite him or the one across from that corner. Primavera usually just stays in the corner opposite Inconnu.

Thread Information