Thread: ACF in a Planted Tank

Nationality
    [United States]

Default ACF in a Planted Tank

I know this might sound like a really dumb question but are there any dangers setting up a planted tank (co2, ferts, ect) with ACF? Would any of that stuff pose any risk???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: ACF in a Planted Tank

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I know this might sound like a really dumb question but are there any dangers setting up a planted tank (co2, ferts, ect) with ACF? Would any of that stuff pose any risk???
    Maybe I need to be more specific, would using a substrate with nutrients such as pond soil be safe? I know pond soil probably has iron, copper, ect and I am worried it could poison the frogs..

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Whatever you put in the tank will affect the water chemistry in some way. Personally, I wouldn't do it because there are many undemanding plants, both aquatic and terrestrial, that will thrive and flourish without the need for nutrients other than those provided by the tank's inhabitants' waste products.

Nationality
    [United States]

Right now in my 20 gallon planted tank I am just using Carib Sea sand (which is like power so I assume frog safe?).. I have some vals, some java fern and anubias (attached to driftwood). I have wisteria and pennywort (or some kind of *wort not sure 100% if it's penny) as a floater and the frogs love to rest in it

I was going to take a drive to Indiana today and pick up a 40 gallon breeder for my ACF once they approach adulthood since I feel the 20g is too small for two adults..

I assume fluorite as a base and sand on top would be the best (and safest) way to go? I'd just like to have something firm for the plants to root in since adult ACFs are known to not be overly kind to plants.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I think it will be okay to do everything you're proposing but in my opinion, for what it's worth, the trouble and expense are unlikely to yield any significant benefits compared against using just plain aquarium gravel. I would have some reservations about using Carib Sand because it's a marine sand and likely to contain a lot of Calcium, which may, or may not, affect the pH in an upward direction. It's unlikely to harm the frogs but it might affect the plants. If your main concern is the plants being uprooted then it seems to me that placing small stones/pebbles around the base of each plant will be more effective in securing them than simply burying the roots in sand. The nutrients in Power Sand could cause an algae bloom if the planting density isn't enough to take them all up.

I'm sorry if all this comes across as negative but the facts are that the frogs' needs are very basic: a modest light level, places to hide, clean water at a stable temperature and food. Anything else is for our benefit, not the frogs', because they couldn't care less whether the tank's visually attractive to us or not. Having said all that, I do understand what you're doing and why you want to do it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I think it will be okay to do everything you're proposing but in my opinion, for what it's worth, the trouble and expense are unlikely to yield any significant benefits compared against using just plain aquarium gravel. I would have some reservations about using Carib Sand because it's a marine sand and likely to contain a lot of Calcium, which may, or may not, affect the pH in an upward direction. It's unlikely to harm the frogs but it might affect the plants. If your main concern is the plants being uprooted then it seems to me that placing small stones/pebbles around the base of each plant will be more effective in securing them than simply burying the roots in sand. The nutrients in Power Sand could cause an algae bloom if the planting density isn't enough to take them all up.

I'm sorry if all this comes across as negative but the facts are that the frogs' needs are very basic: a modest light level, places to hide, clean water at a stable temperature and food. Anything else is for our benefit, not the frogs', because they couldn't care less whether the tank's visually attractive to us or not. Having said all that, I do understand what you're doing and why you want to do it.
    For the record the substrate I am using is Carib Sea's "Moonlight" sand, it's pH neutral and it's for fresh water aquariums. I do test my pH once a week and it's always exactly 7, never had a pH issue since I put the sand in so I believe it should be ok.

It's okay I do understand that clawed frogs needs are very basic and yeah everything else past that is just for my own benefit. I would like to have a visually appealing aquarium though and I do care about my frogs well being which is why I asked, I do not want to sacrifice the frogs for the sake of a pretty tank however I would like to have it pretty within reason, if that makes sense. I did try river pebbles for a while but I find that food tends to disappear in them and it fouls the water up a bit and I did do gravel vacs but the sand seems more visually appealing (to me) and lower maintenance.

I do believe the frogs enjoy the plants on some level though, at least the floaters. I've included a picture of my 20 gallon. Most of the changes I was hoping to do was for a 40b tank I hope to pick up this weekend but that's a longer term project.

Name:  0623120730.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  70.5 KB

Thread Information