Thread: Tiger legged frog

spooky

Default Tiger legged frog

Hi all!
    I was browsing my local pet shop today (only popped in for supplies!) and I noticed a nice little frog in their reptile room. It's labelled as a Tiger legged frog, but it's not a tree frog (I asked, also the price was way too reasonable!). He's a nice looking fella, light green, and about 3" long.
    Is there another frog called a tiger legged frog? Or do you think they could have mislabelled him?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Tiger legged frog

Generally I would say Phyllomedusa, they are the only things that come to mind when I think of small green "tiger-legged" frogs. It could possibly be a Kassina, but they are traditionally brown.

Kurt

Kassina senegalensis is on the green side.

Kerry1968

My Kassina senelgalensis is brown, but lacks the stripey legs of the maculatum anyway.

spooky

I google-imaged both, and I'm pretty sure now that it was kassina and not phyllomedusa. Phyllomedusa is a bright green treefrog, the one I saw was a murkier kind of green and looked nothing like a treefrog. Thanks for the info guys, the pet shop doesn't have the frog's 'proper' names, just the common names which makes researching them pretty difficult!

spooky

I went back to the pet shop to have another look, and someone got it out for me to look at (and fall in love with ) It's brown rather than green (didn't see it properly before), it's about 3 -4" long and has bright orange/red and black striped legs (underneath, only visible when legs outstretched). It has pads on it's front feet and the guy put him on the side of a viv and he stayed stuck there. Not sure what it is. Will have to buy him just so I can post pics and get an idea of what it is.... Hehe

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would say almost definitely Kassina maculata.

spooky

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too! I google image-d it Looks pretty much like kassina maculata. Anyone know much about them? I've done a bit of research and think I can care for it properly Would be a shame to see my empty tank go to waste..... Muahahaha!!

Kurt

As far as I know they are easy to care for. I believe Kerry has some.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I haven't had one for like 10 years but their care is relatively easy, just like most terrestrial frogs. Hopefully Kerry will be able to provide more insight than that.

Kerry1968

I have the cousin of Kassina maculata, I have Kassina senegalensis. I have kept mine basically by trial and error. So I don't think I'm the best person to ask.

I have mine in a 2 and a half foot tank, though I'm sure he doesn't need that much room. I have a false bottom in the tank, just to stop it getting too wet. I have a layer of gravel on the bottom, on top of this a mesh to keep the substrate out and the substrate is a compost/soil mix that I keep damp-ish. At one end I have a large water bowl, that he hardly ever goes in, only when he's frightened, then he retreats to water. I have some plants, most importantly some hides. I have a bark 'cave', a piece of slate and a PVC tube with bends in it that is buried in the substrate, with the ends open. I also have some pieces of wood that he sometimes hides under. I think the hiding places are the most important aspect, along with the substrate, sometimes he partially buries himself in the soil.

I don't have any heating on the tank and I have had him for a while in this set-up and he seems quite happy ( I don't remember how long, but probably around a year) I have a flourescent (sp?) tube light that I switch on daily for the plants, the frog doesn't seem to mind it, in fact it sometimes coincides with food arriving so it often brings him out of his hidey hole!

I feed him gut-loaded and dusted crickets, he's a great hunter, he also has some resident woodlice, worms (which he ignores) and some tropical woodlice (though i'm not sure if they're still there, they're a bit hard to see!)

He is a very sweet little frog, not too flighty and pretty to look at.

I'm not sure how much of this is relevant to maculata, but this is my experience, hope it helps.
    Last edited by Kerry1968; December 13th, 2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: sp

spooky

Ooh thanks Kerry!
    That's pretty much what I thought. Think I should be ok to keep one then

Thread Information