Thread: Home construction for 2 gray tree frogs

shrimpjive

Default Home construction for 2 gray tree frogs

I have 2 gray tree frogs (Cope's/ Hyla chrysoscelis, I think, by listening to the calls) in a temporary setup after catching them, and I want to set up a more permanent home.

I'm thinking about a vertical conversion for a 10 gal tank. For me, it needs to be somewhat simple to do so I was thinking I would use silicone to seal all the edges, add glass at the bottom half, and install a wire mess that I can use also as the door, and secure when not in use. Does the silicon have to completely concealed from the frogs, or is it safe to expose them to?

I think I will use a false bottom like in the tropical terrarium construction article. What I'm not sure of is how often the bottom set up like this needs to be cleaned out. I would love something as easy as possible, but I know I'm not headed that way with live plant hopes and all.

I have a tulip poplar in the back yard with some nice, drying out fallen branches. I hope to pop one of those in the oven to sterilize it and use it. Would it likely rot? Should I just buy wood somewhere?

If I want to install moss from the wild, too, is there a way to make sure it's safe and clear of all bugs? Could any moss I pick up be dangerous for the frogs?

I want to make sure my idea is sound before I start. Does anyone see any gaping holes in my plan? Any poisonous materials? Any bad design flaws? (Besides the fact that I'm not being very detailed yet.)

Thanks for any and all help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information