Thread: Something is very wrong with Dumper

19ginger90

Default Something is very wrong with Dumper

I've had a white's tree frog for about 3 months now, with no problems. About a week ago I noticed that he had become a bit more inactive, always staying in one spot and sleeping, but he probably moved around at night because I always found him in a different place in the morning. This morning, Dumper looked fine sitting on a branch. Then, this afternoon, I found him flopped over and I thought he was dead. He is still breathing but I pulled him out and he didn't move to grab my hand or anything. Some of his arms and legs are a bit thicker and some are thinner than normal. He is completely bloated and feels pretty hard, not squishy really. I thought when I first saw him that he had a bit of mold growing on him, but upon further inspection, it seems that he is excreating some sort of white substance on his back by his neck. Something is very wrong with him. I think he has red leg, but a vet visit probably won't due him any good at this point, not to mention they're all closed now. I just really need some help or advice, maybe some kind words. Please, I don't want to see him in pain. Thanks.

P.S.- He lives in an Exo Terra 12x12x18 with a water fall feature, non-toxic live plants, coco fiber and lots of rocks. The water is partially changed every week and poop is picked up. I clean the glass when ever needed. Temperature is about 82 in the day and 70 at night, with humidity at 65 to 70 in the day. He has been eating fine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Something is very wrong with Dumper

Sounds like an infection. It doesn't sound hopeful at this point. So sorry.

19ginger90

What kind of infection? Is there any way to make him more comfortable? I don't mean to sound grim, but is euthanasia an option? I have used clove oil to humanely euthanize a pet fish when their time came. I just don't know what I did wrong...

Kurt

It may not have been anything you did or didn't do. I really have no clue how to euthanize amphibians. Sorry. If you can get a vet to look at it tomorrow that would be great, but based upon your description, I really don't think the frog will see the sun come up. Again, I am so sorry. I have been where you are and I know how much it sucks.

19ginger90

So this morning, Dumper looked a little bit better, more alert I'd say. However, it seems as if his right side is paralyzed. Both his right arm and leg drag behind him when he tries to crawl. I tried to feed him a meal worm to no avail. I'll try a cricket this afternoon. Is it possible for him to recover the use of his arm and leg? As much as I want him here with me, I must think and act unselfishly. I don't think he will have a very good quality of life if he is unable to walk or hop or even catch his own food. Who knows if he will even get better... So confusing on what I should do!

Kurt

Take him to the vet. I thought for sure he would be dead by now. Look at it this way, you have a chance to save him. Don't let it pass.

Being crippled doesn't neccessarily mean life isn't worth living.

Just ask humans who are able to speak. Or look at a cat or dog who has lost a leg or two but still cuddles, eats, plays, etc.

It must be harder to catch food though. If he lives, consider hand feeding him. (Definately get a vet's recommendation first though)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I so feel for you, The Vet will puy you right on whats best to do. Good luck.

Thread Information