Thread: Dead toads for sale

David Pinckney

Thumbs down Dead toads for sale

Today I went to a flee market, and saw a cane toad that had been fashioned into a coin purse. It was dark, glisteny, and fairly rigged from some kind of chemical treatment, and had a zipper running down its belly. No doubt it's easy to care for.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dead toads for sale

Quote Originally Posted by David Pinckney View Post
    Today I went to a flee market, and saw a cane toad that had been fashioned into a coin purse. It was dark, glisteny, and fairly rigged from some kind of chemical treatment, and had a zipper running down its belly. No doubt it's easy to care for.
    That's terrible. I wouldn't think it was so terrible if it didn't still look like what it once was. Sometimes I wander what kind of people buy things like this.

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries

My boyfriend's friend from Australia recently came to visit. Being the amphibian enthusiast (and slightly ignorant to worlds outside of her own) I promptly asked him about native amphibians. He said that Australians love their "Green Tree Frogs" (our White's Tree Frogs here in the states) but when it comes to Cane Toads, he got livid. He said that because of the ecological terror they present in Australia, they hate them. There are mass killings of the toads, and unfortunately they get fashioned into unique items such as purses. It's hard for me to imagine Cane Toads being a pest, as all our local toads here (Western Toads) are completely precious and adorable. But they are native. They don't cause other frogs and animals to become extinct.

It's definitely cruel. Back in college I did a presentation on the problems of Cane Toads, and even displayed pictures of the purses as some of the possibilities the toads face. It's a touchy subject, and begrudgingly I do need to admit that they probably need to be removed from Australia. All I pray for is that these toads do not suffer, and are not an example of cruelty to others. I wish I had all the answers, but I can safely say I don't plan to sport one of those purses any time soon.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Sometimes I wander what kind of people buy things like this.
    People that want a souvenir and can actually take something as terrible as the cane toad invasion and enjoy it? It's great that people can make money from them (and kill a few at the same time, even if it's hardly noticeable), brining at least something out of this ecological disaster that is the cane toads in Australia. I don't see any problem with the face still being on the purse. I mean, sure I wouldn't want that, but that's a matter of taste. I'm sure some find it hilarious, and good for them. Just like I wouldn't want a heads cranium hanging on the wall, but that's not super uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayshocking
    There are mass killings of the toads, and unfortunately they get fashioned into unique items such as purses.
    Exactly why is this unfortunate? They need to get rid of the toads anyway, and since they need to kill them, why not make good use of them when they're dead? In times of recycling and conservation, isn't it good that they can make a purse of it instead of such throwing it away? A purse might not be the best use (I have no idea what you can do with a dead cane toad...), but it's surely better than nothing.

(This goes without saying, but as always when dealing with killing animals, it should be done in a proper way, making sure it's not suffering. But that's really not the point here)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    People that want a souvenir and can actually take something as terrible as the cane toad invasion and enjoy it? It's great that people can make money from them (and kill a few at the same time, even if it's hardly noticeable), brining at least something out of this ecological disaster that is the cane toads in Australia. I don't see any problem with the face still being on the purse. I mean, sure I wouldn't want that, but that's a matter of taste. I'm sure some find it hilarious, and good for them. Just like I wouldn't want a heads cranium hanging on the wall, but that's not super uncommon.

Exactly why is this unfortunate? They need to get rid of the toads anyway, and since they need to kill them, why not make good use of them when they're dead? In times of recycling and conservation, isn't it good that they can make a purse of it instead of such throwing it away? A purse might not be the best use (I have no idea what you can do with a dead cane toad...), but it's surely better than nothing.

(This goes without saying, but as always when dealing with killing animals, it should be done in a proper way, making sure it's not suffering. But that's really not the point here)
    I understand how fashion works Martin. I just don't see who would want something like that, but then again. they make purses out of Bull Scrotum and canes out of Bull *****es so I know there is a market for these kinds of tasteless apparel and yes it is turning a disaster into something positive.

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post

It's unfortunate for the toad. I'm not trying to negate the problems they have caused in Australia, or even state that something doesn't need to be done to stop the ecological disaster they've created. However, what we all need to remember is that they're just animals. Even if the toads are creating awful problems, it's not like they're consciously doing it. They don't set out every day asking themselves what trouble they can brew at that point; they're acting on instinct. When I did my research on the Cane Toad problem mitigation, I was horrified to see how many people handled the problem. On Youtube (at least 3 years ago, I'm not certain if they're still listed) several locals filmed videos of people abusing these toads: using them as target practice, mutilating the toads, torturing them. THAT is wrong. It is animal cruelty. If you're on this website, I'm assuming you love frogs. How would you like it if someone was torturing your frogs, regardless of the reason? I'm not saying that they shouldn't be exterminated, but it should be done with dignity, and with the least amount of pain to the toad.

I don't know how they are killed when they are used for purses. If it's through freezing or some other humane method, then I'm not necessarily opposed to it. It's weird, to me, for the face to be attached, for you to always be acquainted with the animal that was killed to provide you with your purse. But I have a leather purse so I acknowledge that sometimes it just comes with the territory.

I just wish people would remember that these are living creatures as well that have feelings. They're not acting malicious; they're acting out of instinct.

Jess

Lindsey, as someone who pretty much grew up in Australia I can tell you that Cane Toads are a huge HUGE problem. Its not unusual to have 20, or lots of time, more, of them hopping through your yard each night. Native lizards, snakes, raptors and crocs will mistakenly eat them, and because of their poison and the fact they're used to eating the native ampibs and haven't learnt that Cane Toads are deadly, they will die. The Cane toads will eat the native frogs, insects, baby birds and rodents, decimating their populations. They are an introduced species with no predators (apart from humans) to keep them in check...hence they have run rampent. I have nothing against Cane Toads, its not their fault they're there its the idiots who brought them in with no forethought, but they NEED to be removed.

Jess

Grif, I agree, its grizzly, but its kind of the Aussie way to make the best out of a bad situation (Pretty much the history of Australia to a T), and a lot of the people who make these things make them to make money to help the native animals.

Lindsey - I agree, some of the methods that are used to kill them are awful and I despise that in every way, but the vast majority are just put in the freezer, or killed quickly on the road.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayshocking View Post
    It's unfortunate for the toad. I'm not trying to negate the problems they have caused in Australia, or even state that something doesn't need to be done to stop the ecological disaster they've created. However, what we all need to remember is that they're just animals. Even if the toads are creating awful problems, it's not like they're consciously doing it. They don't set out every day asking themselves what trouble they can brew at that point; they're acting on instinct. When I did my research on the Cane Toad problem mitigation, I was horrified to see how many people handled the problem. On Youtube (at least 3 years ago, I'm not certain if they're still listed) several locals filmed videos of people abusing these toads: using them as target practice, mutilating the toads, torturing them. THAT is wrong. It is animal cruelty. If you're on this website, I'm assuming you love frogs. How would you like it if someone was torturing your frogs, regardless of the reason? I'm not saying that they shouldn't be exterminated, but it should be done with dignity, and with the least amount of pain to the toad.

I don't know how they are killed when they are used for purses. If it's through freezing or some other humane method, then I'm not necessarily opposed to it. It's weird, to me, for the face to be attached, for you to always be acquainted with the animal that was killed to provide you with your purse. But I have a leather purse so I acknowledge that sometimes it just comes with the territory.

I just wish people would remember that these are living creatures as well that have feelings. They're not acting malicious; they're acting out of instinct.
    Did you actually read what I wrote before quoting me? I argued that it's not bad per se to make a purse of something instead of letting it go to waste (when it will be killed either way). I never said that I like that people torture them. In fact, I clearly stated that all killing if animals should be done in a proper way (regardless if it's for food, clothes, purses, extermination or whatever).

And no, of course is doesn't wreck havoc on purpose. But that doesn't mean that they're harmless and that nothing should be done (even though it might be too late already).
    Also, since you are trying to somehow make this about "our love for frogs", my passion about amphibians is one of the reasons why cane toads in Australia is something that would be better of exterminated, considering how many amphibians they have effectively made threatend.

EDIT: Slightly unrelated, but freezing isn't really a acceepteble way to kill amphibians. Please read SkeletalFrog's posts in this thread foe further information about this:
    http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=15729

Thread Information