Thread: Trouble with temps.

RR09SS

Default Trouble with temps.

Hey guys, new to the forum and to being a pac man owner. i have spent some time (and money...) trying to make sure my frog is in a great environment.
    here's the problem, i cant seem to hit 80 in the enclosure.

my setup is an Exo Terra 12x12x18 terrarium, using the eco earth substrate. i have a few live plants inside as well. i have a dual dome light setup with a 60w exo terra daytime heat lamp, and the other is a 50w exo terra night heat lamp or "moonlight" with the day lamp it doesnt quite hit 80 and the night bulb will sit around 75.

i also have a zoomed reptitherm uth 10-20 gallon size slapped on the back.

i am in a basement, where the temps are probably a good 10 degrees lower than upstairs, so when the ac kicks on in can get a bit cold. normal temps are 70-72 but can get down in high 60's. I have all the vents closed too...

what can i do to keep the temps up?

btw he eats just fine, no issues at all with that so far.

here is a pic of my setup.
    would love any advice on any changes i can make.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120617_145728.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	33265

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Trouble with temps.

Just put the heatpad under the tank. It will heat up the coco fiber and it will sit in it when its cold.

Nationality
    [United States]

AC is bad for frogs. Make sure the tank is nowhere near any vents for the AC. The shift in ambient air temp outside the enclosure can cause a draft as well as cool the glass causing a cold zone on the cool side of the tank. This also fights the heat being produced by your UTH and heat bulbs.

To help hold in heat take some Sarah Wrap and cover the front half of the screen top where your lights are not sitting. This will help hold heat within the enclosure. Also you can wrap a towel around the bottom of the tank to help the substrate to hold some heat as well. Its not a good idea to place the UTH on the bottom of the tank. Especially not the tank you have because I have the exact same tank and that UTH for a 10 to 20 gallon will get really hot and burn your frog. It is best placed on the side of the tank. I have mine on the right side of the tank just about 1 1/2 to 2 inches above the substrate. Do not place the UTH over any sort of background or it will melt it of cause a fire. Nothing should be around the UTH.

Be sure that the Sarah Wrap doesn't touch your heat lamp either. Those lamps you have don't have a dimmer switch which is a must for Pacman Frog. The bulbs can get too hot and are much to bright for a Pacman frog. If you buy a Fluker's 5.5" Clamp Lamp with Dimmer and the lamp stand that goes with it you can hover the lamp just above the screen top so it doesn't touch. Also the Daylight bulb isn't as efficient at heating as the Exo-Terra Sun Glo bulb that has a concentrated beam. This bulb allows you to produce more heat with less light so you don't have to dial the dimmer on the lamp up very high to adhesive proper temps. At night you'd be better off if you switch to a Exo-Terra Heat Glo bulb. Its an Infrared bulb and will produce higher temps plus like the moonlight bulb it will not affect their day/night cycle. Both bulbs should be no higher than 50 watts and no lower than 25 watts, but you will need 50 watt bulbs because you're having so much trouble.

Keep an eye on the humidity levels because the lights will burn off humidity within the enclosure plus AC removes moisture from the ambient room air causing a dryer climate in and outside the enclosure.

Welcome to Frog Forum

RR09SS

wont i still need 2 lamps so i dont have to swap bulbs? what will be best since i have plants? i just bought the lamps i have so i can return them. what exactly would you have me get?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by RR09SS View Post
    wont i still need 2 lamps so i dont have to swap bulbs? what will be best since i have plants? i just bought the lamps i have so i can return them. what exactly would you have me get?
    You do what you have to, to create and maintain the correct climate for your frog. If that means you have to swap bulbs back and forth than so be it. I perform this task every night. If you have a Pathos plant in there which is a ground crawler it should be fine with just a Sun lit room, but never place the tank close to a window so that the tank doesn't gain heat build up from the sunlight passing through the glass walls of the tank. Follow what I've suggested above. If the lights you're using are too bright they can harm your frogs eyes.

RR09SS

Ok. Now i have a couple more questions. Do i 100% need to have a UTH if i can keep the temps? reason im asking is because i broke down and just bought a reptifogger and hygrothem unit as well as 2 of the fluker's 5.5" dome with dimmer along with a 60w sun glo bulb. (could not find a 50w) and a 50w heat glo bulb. if i get some daylight in the basement is it feasible to just use the heat glo bulb to keep temps 24/7?

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok. Now i have a couple more questions. Do i 100% need to have a UTH if i can keep the temps? reason im asking is because i broke down and just bought a reptifogger and hygrothem unit as well as 2 of the fluker's 5.5" dome with dimmer along with a 60w sun glo bulb. (could not find a 50w) and a 50w heat glo bulb. if i get some daylight in the basement is it feasible to just use the heat glo bulb to keep temps 24/7?
    It is possible to use the Heat Glo 24/7, but it you were having trouble with the temps and you want to eliminate a heat source that will assist the heat lamp in producing proper temps so you will have to turn the lamp up full blast which will dry out the enclosure fast. Using a UTH helps prevent the need to use the bulbs full power and thus not drying out the enclosure quickly and since you now have a Hydrothermal and Reptifogger your humidity levels and temps should be as mine are. I have a UTH on every enclosure except my Vivarium. you can use the Hygrotherm to control heat units and either units. So you can hook the UTH into the heat plug on the unit and it will only turn it on when temps drop below your setting. It is best to use a UTH in the long run so you're lights don't run on full power.

RR09SS

I will let you all know how things pan out. I am in the middle of getting things set up. with live plants, will the fogger keep the moisture up enough for them or will i still need to mist. i did see a 60w ceramic heater i could use in the dome light and plug into the heat side. just a thought

p.s. thanks for the fast reply

Nationality
    [United States]

I will let you all know how things pan out. I am in the middle of getting things set up. with live plants, will the fogger keep the moisture up enough for them or will i still need to mist. i did see a 60w ceramic heater i could use in the dome light and plug into the heat side. just a thought

p.s. thanks for the fast reply
    Absolutely. You can use a CHE with the 5.5" Dome lamp with dimmer. These work well and the Hygrotherm will shut it off when the optimum help is reached. I must warn you that these are extremely hot and the dome itself will burn you while the CHE is running. Be sure that nothing touches the lamp or a fire may start.

The either will keep some moisture within the substrate, but mostly raises the ambient air humidity levels. I will say this. If the either is running every few minutes there will become a buildup of water in and beneath the substrate which is bad. This does not always occur, but this is another thing you must watch out for.

RR09SS

Hey Grif, in your opinion where is the optimal place for the hygrotherm sensor in the enclosure?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey Grif, in your opinion where is the optimal place for the hygrotherm sensor in the enclosure?
    Dead center of the back wall of the tank 1 1/2" above the substrate. I just noticed where yours are. The gauges need to be down where your frog lives. They're terrestrial not arborial.

Temp gauge should be in the same place. you get a better overall reading this way.

RR09SS

Hey Grif, would a constant 75° 24/7 be acceptable? I got another uth to stick on the side and i am now achieving 75 with only it, according to the hygrotherm. i dont really like the idea of a CHE running with no one home...

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey Grif, would a constant 75° 24/7 be acceptable? I got another uth to stick on the side and i am now achieving 75 with only it, according to the hygrotherm. i dont really like the idea of a CHE running with no one home...
    The Hygrotherm will turn the CHE on and off to achieve correct temps. 75° is too cool. They must have a daytime temp no less than 80° and it is best at night to stay in the high 70°s. You are going to have to make sacrifices if you want to keep your frog healthy. If your so worried about a fire buy a Thermostat to hook the UTH up to and let the Hygrotherm control the CHE. You are worrying too much. These products are safe to use and leave running. As long as used as directed by the instructions which I keep repeating. I'm not sure if you just don't believe me or you're so worried that its not getting through.

Follow the advice that is given it is solid.

Thread Information