Thread: 1beataway's Megophrys problem

Kurt

Default 1beataway's Megophrys problem

Today I received an e-mail from Elaine (1beataway). She is having problems with her leaf frog, Megophrys sp. but cannot get to the forums at the moment as she has no computer to do so. I will e-mail her any responses that may help.

Here is the problem in her own words: "My leaf frog has a problem with one of the horns above his eyes. It looks like a wet ball of brown and blood red. I don't have pictures. I was thinking he probably rubbed it and maybe it's infected? Is taking it to the vet the only option? I am broke enough to not be able to afford food, so that would suck.
    Thanks,
    1beataway"

So does anybody have a clue? I don't, not without looking at the frog.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 1beataway's Megophrys problem

It sounds like she could be right. If she's seriously worried, she could try some neomycin on it.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

I miss these forums! I can't wait till I get my laptop fixed, but it'll still be another month.

The spot seemed to be getting a little better on its own, until I put the frog in a small critter keeper to clean its tank. It didn't get done when I was planning so it spent more than a day in the critter keeper, and it rubbed against the sides a little. It didn't get much worse though.

Interesting thing...when I was cleaning the cage, I found a worm that was a few inches long...it looks kind of like the red worms we sell at work but I don't feed those...and I found some much smaller, much faster moving creatures. A friend who was helping me said they reminded her of centipedes. I don't know where they came from...it must have been from the moss that the seller gave me for free when I bought the frog, I think, but he's been in the tank for 2 months.

These pictures are not that great. It's the best out of all the ones I took.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Kurt

The "horn" looks like it has been rubbed raw. I would still would like it to be seen by a vet.

I always heat treat (Hey, that rhymes!) my substrates. Sphagnum is boiled and coconut is treated with a measured amount of boiling-hot water. Most likely what you are seeing are centipedes and that makes me wonder if your frog's "horn" was biten by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    The "horn" looks like it has been rubbed raw. I would still would like it to be seen by a vet.

I always heat treat (Hey, that rhymes!) my substrates. Sphagnum is boiled and coconut is treated with a measured amount of boiling-hot water. Most likely what you are seeing are centipedes and that makes me wonder if your frog's "horn" was biten by one.
    I would like to take all my frogs to the vet. I'm too poor for that right now though.

Hm. I've used this substrate before, with my other frogs. And it's one of those that is dried in a brick. I really don't think it's from that, but instead from the moss the guy gave me when I bought the frog. But, I'm not sure then if there's a way to get rid of them all without just tossing that nice moss.

If it's centipedes...think they'll get out of the tank and bite me and kill me? I'm a paranoid little person. lol

spooky

I don't think centipedes eat people....... Only one way to find out!!! Hehe, good luck!!!

I suddenly have an urge to play the game Centipede. I haven't played that in years.

Kurt

Not all centipedes are dangerous. You will have to toss all the substrate or boil it, providing its all sphagnum moss.

The substrate is soil. It's sold like a brick at the pet store. I placed the moss I got from the seller on top, but I'm not sure what kind of moss it is. It's all grown together pretty well. And it's very pretty.

Kurt

Its either, toss the substrate or live with the uninvited guests.

I don't mind living with them if they don't crawl into my bed and kill me.

That's just a good general rule though.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think the suggestion to toss the substrate has less to do with what they could do to you (probably nothing, I'm sure) and more to do with what they can do to your frog. If the substrate's been corrupted by a colony of biting critters, get rid of it, clean out the tank, and start fresh. Otherwise, your frog(s) will keep being bitten.

That is a very good point. Honestly, I didn't even think of it that way. Me and my selfish ways. :P

I did a substrate change about a week ago, and am pretty sure I got out all the little bugs and cleaned the tank, so I'll probably keep an eye out, see if my frog is getting better, and then do another substrate change soonish to see how it looks.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    I don't mind living with them if they don't crawl into my bed and kill me.

That's just a good general rule though.
    They may, however, crawl into your ears and burrow into your while you are sleeping, thus causing incurable madness, brain cancer, or just a foul mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    They may, however, crawl into your ears and burrow into your while you are sleeping, thus causing incurable madness, brain cancer, or just a foul mood.
    Oh no! It's already too late!

Thread Information