Thread: White's tree frog hiding for a week

noob

Default White's tree frog hiding for a week

ive had my white's treefrog for a week now and hes been hiding. is it because hes stressed going into a different tank or is it because i dont have a good setup? im just worried he will die on me if he doesnt eat soon . and on top of that i have a gnat problem they laid eggs in the tank but i got them out I dont know if this could be stressing him also.

Name:  P1010011.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  43.7 KB

this is what he looked like when i first got him

Name:  P1010014.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  P1010021.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  141.7 KB
    this is the tank with lots of green stuff its a 20gallon tank. has sphagnum moss(heard it was best) but i also got ecoearth bedding i can but in there if its better.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's tree frog hiding for a week

Your newly acquired frog needs time to acclimate and settle in. Having a setup designed around a tree frog's needs is a must to giving them a safe, secure feeling home. This means having tall broad leaf plants such as pothos, bromeliads, or Snake Plant. It also means that you need places for them to perch up high and stay off the substrate since they are tree frogs and not a frog that spends any time on the ground.

What are the humidity levels in the tank? Temperatures?

Your tank should also be placed in a quiet place, away from loud noises and outside the tank distractions.

What are you feeding? Crickets are the main meal for these frogs and the crickets should be no longer than the distance between the frogs eyes. The crickets should be dusted with a calcium supplement routinely.

As for sphagnum moss, it works great for retaining moisture but is an impaction hazzard to your frog. WTFs are not graceful when eating and miss often when diving for crickets and once something enters a WTFs mouth, its swallowed. The sphagnum moss is easily swallowed but will knot in the frogs stomach and block the frog up or become stuck when exiting the frog. Pulling a 5 - 6 inch pice from the frog is not fun for you or the frog.
    I would use the sphagnum moss under a layer of Eco Earth and have them seperated with substrate screen or windows screen material.

Finally, your frog needs time to settle in with the proper temps, humidity, and accents to feel at home. Limit the amount of times you enter or change things, feed on a routine schedule, mist often, and let him relax.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

noob

thanks thats what i thought im going to take the moss out for now and put in some dirt so he wont get hurt. ill go find the plants you listed so he will feel better at home i feed him crickets but hes not interested in eating anything at all. hes in a room with the rest of my animals i have a animal room with all the animals i have so its nice in there not to loud or anything. right now im not sure the temp or the humidity is ill get things for that later.

InfinitysDaughter

Pretty much everything Don said. XD

If you dont have a thermometer and hygrometer that should be the first thing you get. You need to know that the temps and humidity are right for you new baby because if there not that will lead to stress and all the health problems that come with stress.

Are you sure he isn't eating? Do you free feed (toss the crickets in and let the frog hunt)? Do you see the crickets the next morning? Whites are strictly nocturnal and you may never see him unless you look in on him in the middle of the night. Some are so adverse to light they will automatically hide when a light comes on, even a blue "night" light. If you have a night bulb you may try no light at night and a UTH on the bottom or side to keep the temps up at night.

Thread Information