Thread: Dangers of putting a tree root in my viv

Vern

Default Dangers of putting a tree root in my viv

Hi. I was out with my girlfriend the other day and noticed this amazing looking piece of tree root that would look incredible In my new dart frog set up . My question is this, how real are the chances of there being some type nasty bugs or bacteria etc that will effect my frogs. Previously I have used another root that I baked in the oven for an hour but this new one is far too large. It also has lots of creatures on it that would be a good food source.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ndame88

Default Re: Dangers of putting a tree root in my viv

soak it in water and bleach for a couple of days, then wash off and back into plain water for a couple of more.

Vern

Thanks. That would work but I don't want kill everything in the wood. There is a small ants nest in the root which would be a perfect sustainable food source for the dart frogs. I'm just wondering if the frogs can catch any disease, ilness or anything from a unsterilised piece of wood

Nationality
    [United States]

The biggest issues in dealing with unsterilized wood, would be what might be in it, which also means the ants. The problem with the ants nest would be now you would have to make sure the ants are fed, otherwise they might decide to eat (or harrass) your frogs.

Using a weak bleach solution works to sterilize alot of things, but not wood. The bleach would saturate the wood and would then be almost impossible to remove, it would take much more than rinceing it or even soaking it. In a high humidity situation bleach would continue to leach out. Depending upon the constentration in any particular area, it could cause burns to the skin of your frogs when they step on it, and since frogs "breathe" through their skin, the bleach could also be absorbed by the frogs through simple contact.

I have kept fish for decades and do use bleach alot to clean tanks and certain other tank related items, but never on wood. If a piece of wood is too big for my oven... I have been know to cut if in half to get it to fit, then glue it back together. Also, some clothes drying have a shelf on whick to put tennis shoes to dry, the heat from a dryer, ran for a hour or so, can work as well as the oven.

As far as the ant's nest... now you will have to think of feeding the ants, not just the frogs. If the ants are hungry (depending up speices), they will harrass (or eat) your frogs. Also, without a queen ant, the colony will die off (usually within 3 months), which would then create another group of problems. Ants will bury their dead... do you want that much nutients in the substrate?

The other issue with untreated wood: you just never know what else is in it: not just little critters, some harmless, some not. But also bateria which the specific species of frog you are keeping will not have natural immunity against. And untreated wood is more likely to mold and sterilized wood... again, different mold species will cause different problems.

There are too many risks using un-treated wood, especially in a moist, high hunidity environment.

Vern

Thanks rivkah for your reply. With some thought, the cutting and oven sterilising method is the way to go. I'll try to remove as many creatures from the root before I start. It best not to take any chances and while the idea of a continuous food source sounds perfect your correct in that if the ants are not fully fed the hunter may become the prey.
    So thanks again.

Nationality
    [United States]

You are so welcome... and thank you for thinking it through.

Thread Information