Thread: Escapee found; doesn't seem to "feel good".

BeFlud

Exclamation Escapee found; doesn't seem to "feel good".

So our Orientalis named Tidus escaped tonight and after a few hours of searching for him, we found him! We put him back in his cage (and put some weight on the screen lid!) and we noticed he is acting a little strange. He is usually quite a bright shade of green and is one of the "hoppier" toads in our enclosure. When we found him he was a bit on the dark side and he is definitely not as active as he usually is ( I tried to give him a little push to see if he would react like he usually does but it took him awhile to hop away). One thing that stood out to us is that he doesn't like to leave the water as of now and he just lazily floats around occasionally going under for a few seconds. Sometimes he just sits there under the water, other times he will swim around or go under the water filter. We are worried for our little guy's health so any ideas, tips, or information would be greatly appreciated. Tank you for your time!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Escapee found; doesn't seem to "feel good".

There's not much you can do for him at this point but just let him soak in the water. He just needs time to rehydrate. Get a locking lid on that tank fast.

BeFlud

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    There's not much you can do for him at this point but just let him soak in the water. He just needs time to rehydrate. Get a locking lid on that tank fast.
    So the whole hanging out under the water for awhile is okay? Thanks for your input; we'll look into a locking lid asap!

EDIT: I looked for a lid with a locking mechanism on it but we could only find "Zilla Fresh Air Locking Screen Clips". Do you think those will suffice?

JoshXcore

What size tank to you have? Also, what kind of lighting do you use? If you simply have a 10 gallon tank without an overly hot light source I would get this at Walmart.

Walmart.com: Pet Select: Deluxe Screen Cover, 1 Ct: Dogs

I have it on my 10 gallon and it's very convenient.

JoshXcore

Quote Originally Posted by JoshXcore View Post
    What size tank to you have? Also, what kind of lighting do you use? If you simply have a 10 gallon tank without an overly hot light source I would get this at Walmart.

Walmart.com: Pet Select: Deluxe Screen Cover, 1 Ct: Dogs

I have it on my 10 gallon and it's very convenient.
    One other thing: in the picture on walmart's page it shows to round holes in the lid. It comes with plastic fillers for those holes that you twist to lock into place. They're great because I can just drop my crickets in through the hole on the land side of my tank.

BeFlud

Unfortunately my tank is 20 gallons.. Thank you for your input though, that tank would be quite convenient!

UPDATE: Tidus is doing just fine guys, thank you very much! As Cheri said, he just needed some time to re-hydrate, he is back to his hopping, horny, alpha ways!

bshmerlie

Thats great to hear...thanks for the update.

BeFlud

Thats great to hear...thanks for the update.
    And thank YOU for your input! Your opinion helped us to not freak out quite so much!

bshmerlie

Fire Belly toads are very resilient and as you know great escape artists. If they can be found before they die they usually spring back to life rather quickly. The most important thing is to get a lid that can be locked in place. They'll be able to get out of anything that involves duck tape and bubble gum.

BeFlud

Fire Belly toads are very resilient and as you know great escape artists. If they can be found before they die they usually spring back to life rather quickly. The most important thing is to get a lid that can be locked in place. They'll be able to get out of anything that involves duck tape and bubble gum.
    Haha it's funny you say that because we are weighing the lid down with multiple random things until we can get clamps for the lid. xD

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by BeFlud View Post
    Haha it's funny you say that because we are weighing the lid down with multiple random things until we can get clamps for the lid. xD
    Yeah....people have tried that before and then are amazed when they still find a way to squeak out.

BeFlud

Yeah....people have tried that before and then are amazed when they still find a way to squeak out.
    You've pretty much described my girlfriend and me to a "t". We always saw the little guy climbing up and thought "yeah right". Here's hoping that he doesn't scheme another escape before we can get a better lid/mechanism.

Thread Information