Thread: RETFs and regrets...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default RETFs and regrets...

Just got 2 RETFs and finding it frustrating already. My 20 gallon glass tank is too big for them so I've got them in a smaller "kritter keeper."

My issue is this-- maintaining the temperature and humidity is requiring several adjustments/monitoring throughout the day. It's stressing me out. In other words, I am PHYSICALLY able to care for the frogs, but it's taking more time and energy than I expected. I can't help thinking if I move them to my glass tank it would be easier (I've experimented w/ those conditions and they seem a bit easier to maintain than the smaller plastic tank.) I just worry that in a bigger tank they won't find the food as easily. One of them still hasn't eaten since I got them (about a week ago.)

I'm starting to wish I had gotten grey tree frogs b/c they tolerate a greater range of temps. I hate admitting I may have made a mistake here, and I would welcome anyone's feedback. Is it just newbie jitters? Anyone else gone through this? I'd like to hear people's opinions and sleep on it first....before starting to look for a new home for them.

Please be kind in your responses. I feel like an irresponsible jerk already.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: RETFs and regrets...

Please dont worry so much ....their care is easy..what is the ambient temp in your home? I keep mine between 72 and 85 degrees and mist twice daily....and when I travel my smallest froglets away to a show I keep them in "critter keepers" also ( paper towel bottoms) . As for feeding use a small glass bowl with at least a 2 inch depth and put their crickets in it...they will learn thats where supper is fairly easily usually. Also I use shallow flat dishes or deli cups (8 oz flats) for water holders in their enclosures making the water about 1/3 inch deep .Hope this helps you ..please let me know if I can help you in any way.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You definitely want them in the bigger tank.

As Velvety14u stated, its not needing to be exact, but close or in a range.
    My temps are about 75 to 82 during the day and drops to 68 to 70 at night. My humidity averages between 50 and 70 percent during the day and shoots up at night when the lights stop burning off the humidity.

bshmerlie

Yeah...I have to agree with the others. You're over thinking it. Put them back in the bigger cage, cover half of the top to help keep the humidity in and mist in the morning and again at night if it needs it. Some frogs take awhile to adjust to their new home and wont eat or move around alot at the beginning. Give them time. The more cover they have (ie....a lot of plants with big flat smooth leaves) the quicker they tend to adjust. As recommended give the cricket bowl a try. Cover three sides of the tank with black contruction paper or a dark towel. Something to keep all distractions out of sight. Make sure it is completely pitch black at night for them and quiet. Stop stressing and give them time to settle in.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi,
    I agree w/ velvety, Don, and Cheri,

Even though the 20 will seem too large for them, managing things more easily will ease your mind
    Keep substrate simple. ( dampened paper towel w/ de-chlor water)
    The more simple it is--- the quicker you can get in and out to clean.
    I have had babies for about a month (that are about 1/2" now) ; I have them in a 10gal.
    For example ---the enclosure has the following items:
    -one large pothos vine in a little vase of water
    -paper towel substrate that is changes out on Tues and Sat
    -one small pyrex - glass -feeding bowl (in which they are just starting to use)
    -a small soaking dish ( in which they are just starting to use)

When they are very tiny they will flatten their bellies into the dampened paper towel to soak ( so the dish may not used immediately)
    You will want to keep the paper damp enough for this - but not so wet that the tiny crickets die
    ( nice wet paper towel will likely be all the humidity you/they will need in a 20?--
    w/ a screen top more than 3/4 covered w/ something clear ie plexi or an old pc of picture frame glass )

The covered top will help hold the temp. ---- and humidity in.
    Feed the frogs daily- in the dish and on the floor.
    I do not remove crickets the pinhead crickets I am feeding daily . I let them get low in # , then replace ( leaving food at all times).
    I add new dusted food ---- at the ,very least, every other day. ( the vits and cal dust falls off!)
    Careful w/ the cricket size! If you are not sure they are the right size- go smaller.
    (Note: I feed my adult red eyes - small crickets)

Hopefully, you can have more fun now !!! We would love to see photos !

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...them-grow.html

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks all for the feedback, can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!! I just moved them to the bigger tank and feel better already. Will definitely use a "cricket bowl" and maybe coax them towards it tonight.

@velvety14u My home temp in summer is about 65, winter is about 60 or so. I'm near the coast so it's always fairly cool, except a stretch in late summer. Thank you for the cricket bowl suggestion. I wanted to do that but the plastic tank was a bit too small.

@DonLisk I'm pretty much within the range IF I pay close attention. Unattended (if I'm at work or out for the evening) the daytime temp can get up to 90 F and the nighttime temp can go down to 65 F. Not terribly dramatic but enough to worry me gray-haired!!! I didn't realize the humidity could go down to 50% safely, that is a relief for me too. I've been keeping it 70-80%.

@Cheri Thanks, I am definitely a nervous froggy mama right now, I just love frogs so much I want them to be comfortable. I cover 3 sides of the tank and cover the front too if we're watching tv or we have too many lights on at night. They have a lot of plants in the new tank.

@Lynn Thanks for sharing your experience. They are about 1.25 inches. I've seen them pressing their bellies into the wet paper towel, only saw them in the water dish once. Again, a relief to know that's what they do when they're little! I will definitely watch the cricket size-- I got the smallest crickets I could but some large get mixed in when I buy them.

I took a few photos of the new (old!) set up. Will post them shortly. Thanks all for your encouragement and advice.

Nationality
    [United States]

The big tank. I think I may need to add one more plant for hiding places.
    Name:  REDEYES 001.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  86.8 KB

Sleeping soundly after the big move.
    Name:  REDEYES 005.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  62.2 KB

Woke one up by accident, whoops.
    Name:  REDEYES 006.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  56.3 KB

bshmerlie

See... they look like healthy happy frogs....no need to worry. Red Eyes are actually pretty easy to take care of. Don't sweat it.

Nationality
    [United States]

It's fairly easy once you get the basics down .

The glass bowl feeding trick works great and you don't have to worry about trying to catch crickets to take out if they don't eat them.

Scroll around here through the tree frog section and you'll learn a lot.

There are ways to make things easier, such as timers for lights. Misting twice a day works well. A small, shallow water dish allows them to soak if they'd like, though most absorb through the misting. There are automatic misters if you'd like, too.

Great advice above! They've all helped me to make the best home for mine and thanks to them mine are doing great . They will help guide you .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

So they seem to be liking the larger tank. Temp and humidity are MUCH more stable so I'm not freaking out all day checking it.

Still only one seems to be eating. I'm only finding one poop per day. At what point should I be concerned?

Thread Information