Thread: Howdy, and a quick question.

Default Howdy, and a quick question.

Hey all, I'm Brad, and I have been in the amphibian hobby for about six hours . So far I'm really liking it, I have been researching frogs for a while and acquired what I was told were a White's Treefrog at Repticon Birmingham although I am wondering if they are really American Green Tree Frogs.
    Name:  Smallerpic1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  135.6 KBName:  Smallerpic2.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  130.3 KB
    So can you tell if they are Green Tree or Whites?
    In the second pic, that frog is darker than the other and when I put it in their QT tank it went to the bottom and has been sitting there since while the other (lighter one) has been moving around more and was perched on a leaf last time I checked. So is the Darker one's behavior any cause for concern or just a personality difference?
    Last thing, I have them both in a five gallon QT temporary tank for now, is that suitable just for about three weeks while I can observe them? I plan to give them a nice setup after that but will that suffice?

Thanks for looking!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They look like whites to me personally and it could just be stress if you haven't had them and they are in a new environment they will take some time to adjust I don't personally keep whites so the housing will have to come from someone more skilled in the subject they look like cute healthy baby's to me!
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal
    2-Green Iguanas- LeeRoy and Spike
    2- Sulcata Torts- Chunk and Scoot
    1-Argentine BWxRed Tegu-Kirby

Default Re: Howdy, and a quick question.

Update: They both are active and seem healthy now, their colors have also improved so I'm guessing they were just really stressed. I threw in a half dozen crickets tonight so I'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the reply!

Nationality
    [United States]

glad to hear they are doing good i figured it was just stress! hope the grow big for ya! =P

Quote Originally Posted by Deac77 View Post
    glad to hear they are doing good i figured it was just stress! hope the grow big for ya! =P
    Thanks! Maybe that last update was a bit premature, the frog that was less active is a dark greenish brown with tiny yellowish white spots on it. The way they are arranged isn't really uniform like if it was part of the frogs pattern, they are more randomly placed and more on one side then the other. Should I be concerned or am I just being paranoid? By the way, the other is a bit chubbier, and is a brighter, more healthy green. Also it's more active then the one in question

Nationality
    [United States]

Honestly I'm not sure I have never kept whites only sold them I'll bump so maybe another white keeper can help
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal
    2-Green Iguanas- LeeRoy and Spike
    2- Sulcata Torts- Chunk and Scoot
    1-Argentine BWxRed Tegu-Kirby

ariesheiress

I have a WTF and her colors vary depending on her temperature, when her last meal was, whether or not she has been soaking, etc. Awhile back we had gone to Petsmart and they had a bunch of baby whites' and they were varied colors from bright green to brownish green. Additionally with the spots - how long are you leaving the lamp on for ? It could be blisters from too close, too long exposure or too strong bulbs. I have read that some spots in random patterns are normal depending on the color of spots . If you are still worried/need guidance you can check out this Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid. Good Luck and Welcome !

Thanks everyone for the input. @ ariesheiress: I do not have a lamp on it so I doubt it is that, is a lamp critical for frogs? I was under the impression that UVB was not needed or in the case of a heat lamp, that as long as room temp is high enough they don't require anything additional?

Thanks again for the input and trying to help, unfortunately, little froggy #2 passed away sometime in the night .

ariesheiress

Sorry for your loss of little froggy #2 - you should return him to the store you purchased them from since he didn't make it long. How is Little Froggy #1 ?

I have heard both you MUST have and you DON'T need a UVB ... I have one and probably need it because I keep my home very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ariesheiress View Post
    Sorry for your loss of little froggy #2 - you should return him to the store you purchased them from since he didn't make it long. How is Little Froggy #1 ?

I have heard both you MUST have and you DON'T need a UVB ... I have one and probably need it because I keep my home very cool.
    I would, but I got him at an expo so that's out :/ Other froggy is doing fine, still a nice green, chubby, and active. Okay, I may try to buy him/her a light this week when I go to the pet store, do you recommend just a UV, or a heat lamp as well? The ambient temp is mid to lower 70s currently.

So since it's roommate died are there any preventive measures I should take for Froggy #1? Also, I have a Boa in my Q/T room that shares the same dresser they are on, is he in any possible danger? Or are most frog pathogens species specific?

ariesheiress

I honestly do not know about the shared dresser. I would imagine that as long as you wash ur hands to avoid cross contamination you would be ok. I am not aware of any airborne pathogens shared between frogs and snakes. However I bet that snake sits all day thinking about what he would do if he ever got out of his tank and into little froggy #1's.. lol !

I would get a lamp like this Exo Terra Repti Glo 5.0 Tropical Terrarium Lamp 18 inches (15 Watt) | Josh's Frogs. Make sure you turn it off at night. If you are not already, make sure you mist the cage once a day. You can buy a mister at any beauty supply for a dollar or two.

I would change the substrate, any water and clean any decorations/water bowl with boiling HOT water. Obviously Lysol will kill your remaining happy hoppy. Make sure you're dechlorinating the fresh water as well. I even dechlorinate the water I boil Treemone's decorations in although it is prob not necessary.

Hope this helps! Have you named froggy #1 yet ?

I honestly do not know about the shared dresser. I would imagine that as long as you wash ur hands to avoid cross contamination you would be ok. I am not aware of any airborne pathogens shared between frogs and snakes. However I bet that snake sits all day thinking about what he would do if he ever got out of his tank and into little froggy #1's.. lol !

I would get a lamp like this Exo Terra Repti Glo 5.0 Tropical Terrarium Lamp 18 inches (15 Watt) | Josh's Frogs. Make sure you turn it off at night. If you are not already, make sure you mist the cage once a day. You can buy a mister at any beauty supply for a dollar or two.

I would change the substrate, any water and clean any decorations/water bowl with boiling HOT water. Obviously Lysol will kill your remaining happy hoppy. Make sure you're dechlorinating the fresh water as well. I even dechlorinate the water I boil Treemone's decorations in although it is prob not necessary.

Hope this helps! Have you named froggy #1 yet ?
    I'm sure he is! Lol! Thanks for the advice, I was planning to do a full decontamination of the tank and maybe even move froggy #1 to a new ten gallon I recently purchased. So far I has been misting them once or twice a day and they have a nice big water dish.

I was just thinking about names a minute ago and for some reason "Lil Lime" popped into my head haha. Not sure I am really set on that though so I'm open to suggestions!

ariesheiress

Please post better pics.. my daughter will throw you a few ideas for sure! Or even create a thread for name ideas just for fun. Keep us updated on Little Froggy #1 !

Please post better pics.. my daughter will throw you a few ideas for sure! Or even create a thread for name ideas just for fun. Keep us updated on Little Froggy #1 !
    Haha I will!
    Name:  IMAG0468.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  101.9 KB
    Sorry it's blurry, I had just misted the tank. what do ya think?

Chaser

Wow, I plan on getting a few Whites soon. Your frogs look really good by the way!

ariesheiress

Geronimo, Pastel, Kiwi, M.F. Rog, Mr. Bubbles, Nigel, Fletcher, Inspector Green, Greenstein, this is the condensed version lol

Geronimo, Pastel, Kiwi, M.F. Rog, Mr. Bubbles, Nigel, Fletcher, Inspector Green, Greenstein, this is the condensed version lol
    Haha I kinda like a few of those! lol Thanks!

@ Chase Thanks, and good luck with your future frog friends!

Chaser

Thank you! Haha! I also wish you the best of luck!
    The only species I keep are Agalychinis callidryas andCeratophry cranwelli, So hopefully Keeping them will be more fun than worry.. (My Red eyed tree frog was my first frog and I was absolutely paranoid!)

Thread Information