Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White's-TreeFrog is being inactive...?

Default Re: White's-TreeFrog is being inactive...?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I would shut the light off at night. If you need continued heat, use a ceramic heat emitter instead of a heat bulb. The frog needs the darkness to properly function.
    I am.. hesitent. He was very wake last night. So much that he started trying to bust out of the cage. O_O I'm glad to have him back to normal but I'm not sure I will be able to get a ceramic. (Pretend I live in a void where I can only recieve items from mail except for aquariums. Walmart seems to have those...)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

So mail order a ceramic heater or take a ride down to Zoo Creatures in Plaistow, well worth the trip. (Right now they have Malaysian horned frogs and white-lipped treefrogs in stock) I just wouldn't leave the light on 24/7 or as Jake Harper says "31".

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    So mail order a ceramic heater or take a ride down to Zoo Creatures in Plaistow, well worth the trip. (Right now they have Malaysian horned frogs and white-lipped treefrogs in stock) I just wouldn't leave the light on 24/7 or as Jake Harper says "31".
    150 watt I'm guessing? Or would 250 watt be better?

Either way it'll take a while to get here... Should I just leave it on in the mean time? (It is torturous to me to see my pet so cold he won't move)

Kurt

No do not leave it on 24/7. To do so is to cause stress to a nocturnal animal that needs the dark as much as you need the light. You can partialy cover the cage with a blanket at night to retain some heat.

gray frog in manitoba

Was at my local cricket supplier / pet store (local mom and pop shop), and was discussing the usage of the red reptile lights with one of the employees. She was adament that frogs (like reptiles) can not see this type of light and does not affect them. I have no idea if she is correct...is there any real data on this subject?

Kurt

Had how does person know this for sure? Many mammals have trouble seeing colors, some can only see shapes (rhinos come to mind). Humans are one of the few that can see color.
    Reptiles have full color range possibly greater than our own. Birds definitely have greater color vision then us, seeing colors we do not see. Frogs too have full color vision. How it compares to ours I do not know, but they can see a red light.
    Now if you take a dog for instance, it has a very limited color range, seeing the world in an almost black and white state. They are unable to see red or green, but I am willing to bet if you had a red light on he could still see it. It just wouldn't be able to register the color of said light.

gray frog in manitoba

Yes, what you say make sense, but am hoping that I am not doing any damage....its going to be minus 30 celsius tonite, with a windchill warning of -48 (frostbite can occur in 2 to 5 minutes)...needless to say its hard to keep the house warm, so the lamps are staying on! I should be raising sled dogs instead of keeping frogs....

Quote Originally Posted by gray frog in manitoba View Post
    Yes, what you say make sense, but am hoping that I am not doing any damage....its going to be minus 30 celsius tonite, with a windchill warning of -48 (frostbite can occur in 2 to 5 minutes)...needless to say its hard to keep the house warm, so the lamps are staying on! I should be raising sled dogs instead of keeping frogs....
    Welcome to my world! You should buy a ceramic heater like I plan to one day when Christmas isn't imposing on me. (For now I just have to hope the frog survives the cold of nights)

kimburrlee

Unhappy Re: White's-TreeFrog is being inactive...?

i have two whites dumpy tree frogs. one named tatupu is very active and very friendly he always have a HUGE appitite, but my other dumpy tree frog Hoosh he doesnt have an appitite at all. its always so hard to get him to eat anything!! im lucky if he gives in. i always separate them and put hoosh in a smaller tank with about two cricketts till he eats or i give up becuase the temp and humidity arent very good in the smaller tank so i dont want to keep him in there for a very long time. if i put cricketts in our big tank then my other frog tatupu will eat them all at any chance he gets. also with my littler frog hoosh if i dont wake him up he sleeps in the same spot all day and all night for days at a time i hardly ever see him waking up at night. hes never in his water dish he just has one spot and sleeps there all the time. im horrified hes going to die and i dont know what to do with him. our tank stays at around 70 to 80 dagrees and humidity at all times. i know its not from that. and they have a nice home i just dont know what to do. we had them in the smaller tank and he was active but we felt we should have gotten them a bigger one and ever since weve had their big tank he just sleeps someone help me understand whats going on with my little hoosh. also ive noticed that in the day time tatupu will sleep ontop of hoosh all day till he wakes up at night when we turn on the night light and tatupu will hop around the cage and eat and play in his water dish but hoosh just lays there. i feel like tatupu sleeps on top of him becuase he knows he might be sick or somthing. idk. i dont see anything wrong with our frog from the outside. but i dont know what to do. . please help me out!!

Kurt

It sounds like the frog is sick. He needs to see the vet, actually both will if they are roommates. Now if your country and location were posted it would make it easier for us to, hopefully, find you a frog-savy vet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information