Thread: lazy constantly sleeping whites tree frogs

samtheman

Unhappy lazy constantly sleeping whites tree frogs

hi there,

my male and female whites have been very lazy and sleeping in exactly the same place the past few days. they have barely been touch their bath. they are normally never like this. i tried feeding them and they were fine with that. no redness on the legs, severe wounds and anything abnormal on them. the male croaks as always. the female in particular has been the most lazy. they didnt even bother getting out of where they were sleeping the past couple of nights, im worried because they might get dehydrated.

any tips on whats causing this and what i can do about it would be really helpful, thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mrzoggs

Default Re: lazy constantly sleeping whites tree frogs

i dont have white tree frogs so im not sure if there is a problem. but from my experience with my red eyes they can sleep for a couple days and not really move. also mine will go back up to the same spot. somewhere i read of someone outlining their frog on the outside of the tank and realized it had just when to the same spot because it wasnt exactly right. just pretty close. also...i am more worried about mine when they are awake rather than when they sleep hehe. you dont want it to be awake all day. they are nocturnal. mine sleep like 90% of the day it seems. they only wake up when i turn off all the lights in the room. i hear mine call a few times then i know ITS ON for the night hehe. your frog should be fine. let him/her rest

InfinitysDaughter

Like Zoggs said, its probable they are getting up and moving about at night and you just dont see it. I know my Azy tends to stay completely hidden when the lights are on then comes out when its dark enough for her liking (or if there is a particularly gory horror movie on *gets beaten with a stick by several people here* I KID! /ignore inside joke). I know she's always going back to the same spot because she tends to sleep on the floor of her viv and she sort of makes a "nest" for herself by moving around the eco-earth so there is a hollowed out spot under her favorite hollow log. If I didn't get woken up by her thumping around hunting crickets at night I'd swear she there are times she's never moved.

The only thing that could be worrying is there not going to there water but if you have a high humidity then its possible there getting the water they need from the air in there viv. Your finding poop right? I'd say keep an eye on them, maybe make yourself wake up during the night to see if there active, but if they are eating and pooping regularly then I wouldn't be too concerned. If you want to be sure they eat then hand feed them with tongs to be sure they eat. If they start to refuse food or you dont find any poo then maybe talk to a vet that specializes in frogs.

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My White's Tree Frogs seem to be pretty lazy during the day. However, once I became more nocturnal, I noticed them moving around a bit more. MrZoggs is right about them doing their stuff at night.

I also accidentally left the cricket keeper next to their enclosure and walked off. When I came back in, my male had noticed and was desperately trying to eat the crickets. Oops... I guess you could leave a cricket keeper next to their cage during the day if you want to see them a little more active

samtheman

hi guys, thanx very much for taking the time to write your advice. i am well aware they only come out when its dark. and guess what, last night before too long, they were both up and about, sitting around doing, well, nothing, lol. so things r back to normal i guess, and it seems they both had a nice bath too. i am up late most nights, so i tend to see them a lot . they were back in exactly the same sleeping places today though, haha! i think my females fat, or maybe its just their appearance :S, lol.

anyhoo, cheers all

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayshocking View Post
    My White's Tree Frogs seem to be pretty lazy during the day. However, once I became more nocturnal, I noticed them moving around a bit more. MrZoggs is right about them doing their stuff at night.

I also accidentally left the cricket keeper next to their enclosure and walked off. When I came back in, my male had noticed and was desperately trying to eat the crickets. Oops... I guess you could leave a cricket keeper next to their cage during the day if you want to see them a little more active
    I did the same thing with my crickets. My Fiona does a little butt lifting dance when she's about ready to pounce. She was doing that right up against the side of her tank and I thought she was just acting crazy until I saw that I left the cricket keeper right next to her tank! She LOVES her crickets, hell she LOVES anything you put in front of her!

Her brother on the other hand is just like Samtheman's frogs. He sleeps all the time. He doesn't eat and the only time I see him get up is to go to his water bowl and then back to his leaf.

Thread Information