Thread: American Bull Frog? Lethargic... HELP!

FeloniousFox

Default American Bull Frog? Lethargic... HELP!

I'm not positive but I believe this is an American Bull Frog. He came to live in my pond about 6 months ago. He used to sit outside my large pond. Eventually he started getting in and floating and sleeping at the bottom. He would come and go as he pleased, he would stay for about 4 days and then go out at night (assuming to eat) and return in the morning. About 2 months ago we added a smaller pool/pond outside the large pond for him. He immediately moved in! A month ago we added some Water Hyacinth for him to crawl around in.

The last week he has been very lethargic. He has not gone out for food, I think he is too weak. I purchased some small feeders for him. HELP!!! I have never had a frog, let alone a wild frog who just adopts your yard. He at times seems bloated and laying unevenly.... He is also sleeping a lot. Can anyone tell me something insightful? Is this normal when the temperature rises? It's mating season? He's playing possum because he wants a new toy? I'm so afraid he may die, I'll be crushed.

Thank you for any help in identifying or advice on why he seems to be so listless.

Jen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yusil

Default Re: American Bull Frog? Lethargic... HELP!

Hi .

Well, when I first started reading, I was thinking; maybe it's pregnant, but if it calls, then it couldn't be, because only males call of that species call I believe.

I'm not sure, but usually Aquatic/Semi-Aquatic creatures who float/lean sideways, tend to have a form of respiratory infection [RI] , but it could be something else.

If it is a female, she could just be filled up with eggs and is tired for that reason, because one of my little frogs had eggs and she was really pudgy and practically stayed in the same spot, only eating once a night and would even let me pick her up[the frogs I have are normally intolerant to human handling].

But otherwise then what I've said, I don't know what it could be. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can answer .

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: American Bull Frog? Lethargic... HELP!

I don't have actual experience in keeping these, but I would say that even as a wild frog and you wish to help him you could catch him and take him to the vet. Is the water in the little ponds de-chlorinated? If not then this is possibly the reason that he is ill. Lathargy and bloating are also signs of Toxing Out Syndrome which is usually cause by exposure to chemical in their water supply or fowled water.

Thread Information