Thread: Yay! New RETFs, my dream come true :-)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Yay! New RETFs, my dream come true :-)

Finally got my little babies, two RETFs, juveniles. They aren't teensy tiny but not adult either.

I had a whole set-up ready but the breeder said I couldn't put them in a 20 gallon, so I had to put them in a little critter keeper. They've got:
    a thick, short pothos plant
    damp paper towel substrate (so I can see the poop easily. will change to eco-earth later.)
    creme brulee ramekin turned water dish
    small branch that i boiled to sanitize it

heat lamp above to keep things warm
    fluorescent light in front for during the day

Sooo....tonight I'll find out if the red light from the heat lamp is too much light for them to be active. The pothos plant blocks much of the light but yeah we'll see.

I'm so happy I love 'em already!!! Haven't gotten the hang of taking photos yet and didn't want to stress them, but here's the best I could do for now:

Name:  june 2012 018.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  34.8 KBName:  june 2012 019.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  88.6 KBName:  june 2012 020.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  77.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mrzoggs

Default Re: Yay! New RETFs, my dream come true :-)

very beautiful. i own two myself. i love them so much.

this is a very useful care sheet

Frog Forum - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas

did you wash all the soil off your pothos and re plant with eco earth? (or a better substrate than whatever they used where you bought it) (something that wont hurt the frogs)

if not. i would.

another thing...dont freak out if you see them shed. it looks like they are choking on something. they will keep opening their mouth and rubbing their arms across their body. its normal and natural.

their are plenty of tips and advice i can give you if you are new to taking care of them. just let me know if you ever need any help

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mrzoggs View Post

did you wash all the soil off your pothos and re plant with eco earth? (or a better substrate than whatever they used where you bought it) (something that wont hurt the frogs)

if not. i would.

another thing...dont freak out if you see them shed. it looks like they are choking on something. they will keep opening their mouth and rubbing their arms across their body. its normal and natural.

their are plenty of tips and advice i can give you if you are new to taking care of them. just let me know if you ever need any help
    Thanks for the offer mrzoggs, I appreciate the knowledge and experience on this board for sure! Yes I prepared several suitable plants a few months ago. Rinsed off the old soil, repotted with eco earth, flushed plant with water a few times, etc.

I can't figure out if they like the red heat lamp at night or not. They seemed active last night but were already sleeping when I woke up this morning. I may have to find another heat source so they can have complete darkness at night. I've been experimenting with all these conditions for months but this smaller tank thing threw me for a loop. Oh well...may be able to find a cheap UTH on Craigslist...off I go...

mrzoggs

i recently started turning my light all the way off at night. during the day i keep the temperature around 80 with the light on. then at night its fine for them to be around the same temperature as your room. i wouldnt let it drop below 72 though for long periods of time. i use a red light and it has a dimmer knob. so if its a little chilly in my room i can just barely turn it on. i also have a blacklight bulb. sometimes i turn that on during the day with my red light to get my temperature up.

mine love the pothos. i have a neon pothos. one of them is on a leaf right now. im in the process of building a false bottom and a "great stuff" foam background so they are in a 30 gallon tubberwear.

Nationality
    [United States]

Saw your build mrzoggs, looking good! Hope you are enjoying the project.

I do have the heat lamp on a dimmer, but we keep our house fairly chilly (not chilly on purpose, we just don't use heat.) I just can't see heating a whole 3-bedroom house just for these two little ones. And even if I did, my husband would protest. A lot. Last night was hilarious-- "Honey, turn off that light! You're disturbing my frogs!" He was not amused.

I may experiment with a space heater if they aren't more active over the next several days. There must be an adjustment period right? Before they "settle in?"

bshmerlie

I would get an appropriately sized UTH with a thermostat and place it on the side of the tank. That will keep it where you want it. There is definately an adjustment time with Red Eyes. The more plants they have to hide in the shorter that adjustment period will probably be. They dont like to feel exposed. The first few nights they'll be all over the tank looking for a way out and then they'll hunker down until they feel secure in their new environment. Keep it completely dark for them and it is even best to cover up the sides of tank until they feel at home.

Nationality
    [United States]

There are also ceramic heat bulbs that don't emit any light.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

DC101

Yes, heather is correct. If its an infrared light (red one) then the frogs can not see it. Most animals are like this, they can see red light.

Branman

Wow those are cool. I'm gonna get some soon.

Thread Information