Thread: ACF with Malaysian trumpet snails

Rg221187

Default ACF with Malaysian trumpet snails

I have recently got some albino clawed frogs which I have set up a new tank for. I fully cleaned all the gravel that I had previously used for tropical fish, but unfortunately failed to noticed some Malaysian trumpet snails that were still in the gravel. I have had the frogs for a few days now and have just noticed im getting infested with snails. I'm guessing this could be because the water temp is lower than what it was when with my tropical fish and this has tempted my snails into laying babies. Will these snails cause problems to my frogs as the snails are so small at moment I have no hope of collecting them up for a few weeks. If these snails will cause problems is it a good idea to put a couple of assasins snails into tank for a few days.... Hope someone can help me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: ACF with Malaysian trumpet snails

I don't understand what risks you feel that the frogs are exposed to. If you have substantial concerns I think that the best thing you can do is to strip the tank down before the snail population gets completely out of control and treat the gravel with boiling water to ensure that the snails are completely eradicated. If you don't do that now it's likely to turn into a messier job if and when you do decide that it's necessary. In other words, it might be worthwhile to spend time now to save time later whilst simultaneously dispelling your concerns about the snails' presence.

SkeletalFrog

Honestly, I'd just keep the snails and periodically cull their population if it gets too big. They'll keep algae growth down.

Nationality
    [United States]

Are the snails a choking/impact hazard? Would the frog have difficulty digesting them? Honestly it's a question I've had myself because I do enjoy having snails in my tank (I currently keep a somewhat large apple snail with my froglets) however I am finding as my froglets get bigger they're becoming pretty hostile towards the snail, well the snails antennas at least.. they can't eat the snail but they will harass it until it manages to get away.

I wouldn't mind keeping MTS (I plan to move them to an aquarium with sand..) I worry the frogs will eat them and since their shells are pointy, I figure it may not be worth it.. any suggestions???

The danger here is if and when the frogs do ingest the snails they will not be able to pass the shell and being impacted like that would kill them. What's even worse is that these snails have a pointed shell. Imagine swallowing that! It would be enough to pierce through your frog's mouth or gut as he tried to swallow it. I've never kept snail before, so I don't know much about their breeding cycle and development, but I would try and eliminate this problem before a frog gets hurt. A good rule of thumb is don't keep anything with your frogs that they can get in their mouth. And keep in mind that a frog can eat things that are nearly as big as him! Good luck.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SwimminSteve View Post
    The danger here is if and when the frogs do ingest the snails they will not be able to pass the shell and being impacted like that would kill them. What's even worse is that these snails have a pointed shell. Imagine swallowing that! It would be enough to pierce through your frog's mouth or gut as he tried to swallow it. I've never kept snail before, so I don't know much about their breeding cycle and development, but I would try and eliminate this problem before a frog gets hurt. A good rule of thumb is don't keep anything with your frogs that they can get in their mouth. And keep in mind that a frog can eat things that are nearly as big as him! Good luck.
    Yeah that was kind of my assumption as well. I think Apple Snails are OK as long as they're big enough. I don't plan on keeping them with any snails (or anything else) much longer, I think it would be many months before they could do anything to the Apple Snail I have, it's actually quite large but I'd rather not gamble on it.

Rg221187

I have notice that the frogs are trying to pick the baby snails up but are spiting them right back out. Im going to try and remove as many snails as I can but they are so small im not goingto be able to collect them all so going to watch closely will keep u posted. Thanks for the comments

Thread Information