Thread: Tomato frog questions -- housing size

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Tomato frog questions -- housing size

After reading some posts in the Pacman frog area, I am worried I have one of my tomato frogs in too big of a terrarium. He is in a 10-gallon aquarium, with about 3 inches of coco-earth, a couple of fake plants, and a soaking bowl. I got him just a couple of weeks ago -- he's big, about 2" long, but I don't know how old or if he still has some growing to do. I think he was at the pet store at least a couple of weeks and in an enclosure maybe 10" x 10".

The first couple of nights I had him, I saw him at night coming out and hopping around the aquarium some. I have been putting about 2 - 4+ crickets in his terrarium every evening, and many times I have seen one or more crickets still alive the next evening. Until last evening, I hadn't seen him out of his hole for several days, although I think he's moved around a few times. I have a mister in his terrarium, it goes off about every 3 hours for about 8 - 10 seconds. The substrate is damp but not soaked. His soaking bowl is clean and appears not to have been used.

Is this too big for him to find his food? I have critter keepers, XL and even XXL I could use instead. Currently he's being kept at room temperature but I will be adding a heat mat to one side of his terrarium to help keep it warmer, plus put some clear plastic on part of the screen lid to help hold in humidity.

My little guy is in a medium critter keeper (around 6" x 9") and he seems to hop all over it at night (I only got him on Saturday). Still, could it be too big if I feed him in his container? (see my other post for info/pics -- he's around the size of a penny). I took him out and fed him last night in another container about the same size, but he wasn't happy about being caught.

I just want these guys to be happy and healthy. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Tomato frog questions -- housing size

Still looking for input on this one. Also, I saw my big guy out this evening before I fed crickets, and I put a few crickets in his habitat with really no interest. I used tongs and caught a cricket and put it right in front of him with still no interest. After touching him with the cricket/tongs a few times, he grabbed it, but I think he was really trying to bite versus really eating the cricket. I did the same thing with another cricket, he tried to avoid it but soon "bit" again.

I saw a couple of crickets crawl near him and I would think within his eyesight but he showed no interest. Only once did I see his tongue come out after a cricket but he missed it and seemed to lose interest. I'm afraid he's not eating enough.

My little guy, on the other hand, is an eager eater, eating anything within reach.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Could you perhaps get some pictures of the setup you have him in? I just bought a 32 qt sterilite tub for my 'mater frog and he seems to be adjusting fine to eat. The first day I brought him home I fed him two male dubia which he gobbled up. I fed him several butterworms yesterday - tong fed some to him then left the rest in a feeding dish. He ate them all up! lol. I'm saying he...but I'm thinking it's more a she. Anyways, could you get some pictures of your set up?

Nationality
    [United States]

Here's his current setup, top view -- two fake plants in the middle, water dish at one end:
    Name:  tomatofrogsetup.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  202.6 KB

Here he is in a corner of his habitat:
    Name:  tomatofrogbigguy2.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  163.0 KB

I took him out (via a cup -- a bit afraid of him) to another container so I could check his terrarium -- does he look puffed up? I don't think he was too happy about being bothered.
    Name:  tomatofrogbigguy.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  183.0 KB

Thread Information