Thread: White's Tree frogs... lots of question.... please help!

Charlotte Benedict

Default White's Tree frogs... lots of question.... please help!

I am a new frog owner, and very cautious and concerned. I have two White's, and I just ordered a third from the same facility. Should I quarantine the new one? If so, for how long?

Also, I have seen on one of my frogs a couple very small, black bugs. The other doesn't have them. Are they mites? Should I be freaking out like I kind of am already? I haven't seen any yesterday or today... still very concerned. When I see them, I try to wipe them off with a damp paper towel... but Jupiter (the frog) doesn't like this in the least.

I have a lot of questions... but one more to add on this post. Since they are babies, I have been, well, babying them and feeding them crickets and mealworms by tongs everyday. Recently though, they haven't wanted to eat the crickets, only the mealworms. I don't know what to do, about any of this, so any advice would be extremely appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yusil

Default Re: White's Tree frogs... lots of question.... please help!

I can't say much, as I do not own White's, but generally for all animals, quarantine is always a step you should do before you introduce them to your other animals.

Sometimes even if they came from the same place, there are things that frog may have that your frogs don't, so it's best to be on the safe side and do atleast a week-month long quarantine.

Also, about the black bugs, they could be parasites, but again I'm not sure what ailments/afflictions can be attributed to White Tree Frogs, but generally anything living on the frogs skin, that is not their actual skin is not a good thing and you should probably check your enclosure or maybe wait for a more knowledgable person to come along.

Unless your frogs are exhibiting noticable discomfort, you don't have to freak out, but it should definitely be checked out. It could be minor, but either way, it's better to be safe then sorry.

Nationality
    [United States]

Try to feed mostly crickets too many mealworms might constipate your frogs. also they might like worms or roaches too if you can handle ordering those types of things.. and never feed bugs to your frogs you find outside they could have parasites and poisons on them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the world of White's! I am a new owner too and I agree with Yusil even though you get the frogs from the same facility one might have something that the other doesn't. I learned that the hard way. I purchased two White's a few weeks ago from the same place and one THRIVED and the other one I ended up having to exchange for another. It refused to eat and became very lethargic. I picked up a lot of great tips from these forums. When I returned him I was told that I did everything they would have recommended me to do and that it sounded like he may have had some internal parasites. Trust your instincts, if it looks like something is wrong with him then I would quarantine him and maybe get some advise from where you purchased him from.

Also, I've learned that White's LOVE to eat and a healthy frog will eat everything you put in front of it. So be careful about overfeeding. I feed crickets dusted in calcium powder and wax worms. The wax worms only in moderation now because my Fiona ate too many of them and literally got fat over night!

Thread Information