Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vivarium Designs needed

DC101

Default Vivarium Designs needed

Hi all.

Im interested in buying some red eyed tree frogs.

I have a vertical tank but im stumped on how i should make it look. Im ordering a background and
    im going to cut some holes in it and insert some plants but id like to see yours!

Thanks guys! BTW, it doesn't have to be a vertical tank, it can be any. I just need some ideas.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Vivarium Designs needed

Hi,

I am not technology, so this is the only way I know how to do this.

Here is a 30 gallon tank set up for red efts (picture taked with a couple of days of construction, before all the plants grew out)

Same tank adjusted to add a large water feature (the efts are beginning to morph into adult easter spotted)

This is a 35 hex tank as originially set up. Later I raised the water level to house 3 firebelly newts (they have since been moved to another tank)

Same tank adjusted to simply terrestrial to house 3 bumblebee toads...

Finally a little 10gallon tank, original home of the bumblebee toads.

The only advise I give is: close your eyes, be the creature: in what would you like to live? Is there something to do? Is there somewhere to go?
    Is there somewhere just to hang? Sleep? etc.

Enjoy the process... and remember: no matter what you will never be completely satisfied that might be the reason most of us have mutliple tank/enclosures... "I can do better next time..."

4. This member thanks rivkah for this post:

ndame88

There are so many great builds out there, the one I am building is for RETFs, see my signature, now it is by no means the best, but it gives you an idea, I looked at I dont know how many builds before I jumped in. Builds can be simple or very detailed, its about what is appealing to you. From what I have learned so far, is that a build all depends on how much time you have, how much you want to $$ spend on your build, having a little imagination, and patients to not rush. Make a checklist of steps so you dont forget something. Plan on spending at least twice as much as you originally thought you would, because you will make mistakes like spending $90 on pond shield to discover you mixed it wrong. Just a couple more thoughts, a can of GS runs out just when you have a little more to cover, it usually expands more then you would like it to, a tube of silicone nevers covers as much as you would like, the people at the hardward store will start giving you funning looks after the 10th trip, latex gloves, and finally, elimnate any thoughts of letting your 6 year old help with GS or make fake vines with Eco Earth and silicone, it does not end well. Like Rivkah said, I am only 70% done and I am already planning my next one to do it better.

J Teezy

mine are in my signature

J Teezy

and one more thing. I hope you are buying RETFs because you like the species not because you want something enjoyable to watch being active. RETFs are asleep during the day and only come out during the night to feed and what not, and even then they are not as active as say your PDF species like leucs, azureus, etc. If you want something active during the day and bold and like to see activity in your tank then i'd suggest researching something else. RETFs are a beautiful frog but any keeper will tell you they are not the most exciting thing to watch.

DC101

Thanks John, i know they aren't active.
    I would love to get some PDFs, they were my first preference, but i live in Australia, and sadly they are illegal.

Im at school for most of the day anyways and i wake up early so hopefully i can see them a little. But i will continue
    to research frogs. Its just that i want some that are easy to take care of and aren't too big.

But thanks anyways! I like your VIV btw. And i do love these frogs.

J Teezy

by easy to handle what are you referring to. are you saying you will be taking them out and handeling them? You really don't want to handle RETFs it only stresses them out. The less you touch them the better. RETFs and many frog types are not your type of pet like a bearded dragon or something along those lines that you can handle alot

Nationality
    [United States]

Something easy to deal with.... something easy to house.... something active.... something interactive....

The first two that come to mind are the white's tree frog... they actually seem to enjoy interaction with their keepers, and the fire belly toad... too cute, too much fun to watch and also appear to enjoy some interaction and become quite familar with their keeprs.

Although the housing is different, each is very easy to keep, hardy and undemanding (compared to others), and considered some of the best "beginner frogs/toads" out there.

Truthfully, if I had actually thought about it, I would have set the 35 hex up very differently. I would have glued a "shelf" or "shelves" to the back side of the tank higher up, creating more of a "floating island" effect, to drastically increase the water level and volume to allow me more options.

Its all part of that "never satisfied" issue. You only limitations are your imagionation and your pocketbook. But, I strongly suggest that you decide what you want to keep, then build a proper environment for that creature. Take it from the voice of experience, building the enclosure first, then thinking about what to put in it, rarely works well for the creature or the keeper.

DC101

Josh, by easy to handle i didn't mean actually holding.

I meant that its easy to take care of and doesn't require toooo much help.

Thanks anyway for lookout out.

J Teezy

i don't know too much about keeping RETFs aside from that they need daily water change of the water dish and that most feed them crickets.

As far as the common beginner PDFs they are very simple to take care of. Keep the humidity up and for feeding i feed mine 3 times a week staple of FF's, but they are plenty of springtails in my viv that they munch on daily. Aside from that i spot clean the viv once a week and make a FF culture once a week. Very easy to take care of when you have a well established viv, it pretty much takes care of itself especially when you have your lights on a timer and a mistking system.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Just read through this and I just want to make sure that people know what you are talking about. You said that you want to get some "red eyed tree frogs" (without giving any scientific name), but at the same time you live in Australia. Now, as for as I know, you're only allowed to keep native species, right? If that's the case, you are probably talking about Litoria chloris, which is the "Australian red eyed tree frog". However, when just typing "red eyed tree frog" on a international forum like this, everyone is going to asume that you are talking about Agalychnis callidryas, which is known world-wide as the red eyed tree frog.

So, to avoid confusion, what species are you actually referring to?

DC101

Ok to make this simple and to get back on track, im interested in designs for a vivarium.

Anyway, don't worry what red eyes i want because I've changed my mind, im going to get green tree frogs. (whites tree frog in US)

Thanks for your concern anyway. I appreciate it.

DC101

Anyone else have some more pics?

Nationality
    [United States]

Here are a few older and newer pics...

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

17. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

DC101

Nice, love them all.

Anyone have any vertical vivs?

greene

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Here are a few older and newer pics...
    They look great!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks . I have not done a tall viv yet, but will in the future. Others here have and hopefully will post for you.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Heather,

Your tanks look great.

How did you make the waterfall in the last picture? Also, how did you make the shelf on the left side in the tank with blue gravel?

Thanks

DC101

Yeah, Heather, all your tanks look magnificent.

Must have too a while to do Keep up the good work!

lilblack94gt

Love all those designs! Makes me jealous of my tank lol! Granted I just started mine, but I have some work to do on it!
    Name:  IMG_1415.jpg
Views: 5136
Size:  76.3 KB

24. This member thanks lilblack94gt for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information