Thread: Post Protrution Care

Dracorex5

Default Post Protrution Care

So I found my baby greenishy colored albino pacman, my first frog, with an exposed cloaca this morning (right before I have to go on a trip monday, grand...) and started treating right away. He sat in a warm sugar bath for a bit, and I periodically changed the water. I know that the time is normally 20 minutes, but the swelling was improving incredibly, so I kept him in for nearly an hour! He didnt seem to mind, and the protrution went right back to where it belonged.

I'm guessing he got this problem from swallowing a ton of coco fiber, though I cant be completely sure. I'm wondering what the best post-protrution set up is. I know that the muscles down in "the salad" (as I read it was called ) are a bit weak after the cloaca gets pushed out. I want to know how to keep it from happening again, as well as how intensive he needs to be watched. My trusty and very dependable parents are watching my zoo while I'm out of town, and wont be handling him. I just want to see if my set up is on par...

I have him on a moist towel with a water bowl for soaking and a plant he can hide under. The temperature is usually around 76-80 during the day with a common 10 degree drop at night provided by an undertank heater (one I made myself so I can control the heat outtake. I may be young, but I've lost eneogh scorpions to bad under the tank heaters to know those things are wild). No coco fiber at this point, and the water is kept so clean, I'd pretty much drink it. Feeding small dubia roaches (before he was on medium-smalls, which I worry may have also attributed to the issue a smidge) dusted with calcium and a pinch of salt (I read on here that salt can help fight any infections he may have in his intestines, and is a temporary thing) about every other day.

So wise ones, what should I change/improve/leave as-is. He'll be like this for at least a week while I am gone, so keep that in mind!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Post Protrution Care

Quote Originally Posted by Dracorex5 View Post
    So I found my baby greenishy colored albino pacman, my first frog, with an exposed cloaca this morning (right before I have to go on a trip monday, grand...) and started treating right away. He sat in a warm sugar bath for a bit, and I periodically changed the water. I know that the time is normally 20 minutes, but the swelling was improving incredibly, so I kept him in for nearly an hour! He didnt seem to mind, and the protrution went right back to where it belonged.

I'm guessing he got this problem from swallowing a ton of coco fiber, though I cant be completely sure. I'm wondering what the best post-protrution set up is. I know that the muscles down in "the salad" (as I read it was called ) are a bit weak after the cloaca gets pushed out. I want to know how to keep it from happening again, as well as how intensive he needs to be watched. My trusty and very dependable parents are watching my zoo while I'm out of town, and wont be handling him. I just want to see if my set up is on par...

I have him on a moist towel with a water bowl for soaking and a plant he can hide under. The temperature is usually around 76-80 during the day with a common 10 degree drop at night provided by an undertank heater (one I made myself so I can control the heat outtake. I may be young, but I've lost eneogh scorpions to bad under the tank heaters to know those things are wild). No coco fiber at this point, and the water is kept so clean, I'd pretty much drink it. Feeding small dubia roaches (before he was on medium-smalls, which I worry may have also attributed to the issue a smidge) dusted with calcium and a pinch of salt (I read on here that salt can help fight any infections he may have in his intestines, and is a temporary thing) about every other day.

So wise ones, what should I change/improve/leave as-is. He'll be like this for at least a week while I am gone, so keep that in mind!
    Daytime temp needs to stay at 80° to 82°. Night temp should go no lower than 78°. Switch to worms. Appropriately sized chunks cut off the night crawlers starting at the tail. Just cut one piece off at a time and switch back and forth between individual worms to make them last longer and begin to regenerate. Hospital setup is fine except temps. Temps need to be kept at 80°. Humidity also needs to be at 80% and maintained. I wouldn't feed him for a couple days or more to be sure that he has no further issues with the Prolapsed intestine.

Keep us posted.

Dracorex5

Default Re: Post Protrution Care

My petstore nearby does not provide nightcrawlers, will earthworms do? I know they dont have the same substance to them but other than phoenix worms and the shelled larvae worms thats all they normally have. Just up'ed the temps Thank you!

Thread Information