Thread: New Dumpy Tree Frogs: turning brown?

bas8577

Default New Dumpy Tree Frogs: turning brown?

So, I've done my research before getting these frogs for my kiddo, but research doesn't replace experience unfortunately.

I bought three dumpy tree frogs from a friend, with their entire set up. One is blue, two are green, they look like they're 2-3 inches long.

My question is this: the blue one has been sitting on the inside of their fake-log-hideaway and has turned brown. I've read this can indicate illness, stress, or could be because s/he's hiding in something dark. The trouble is, I have no idea which is the problem.

The temp is about 78, the humidity at 70%, I've given them clean water twice now (they laid in it overnight)...I'm not sure what I can do to alleviate stress if that's the problem. I'm hoping it's just from the move, and s/he'll turn back to the pretty blue color soon :/

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

InfinitysDaughter

Default Re: New Dumpy Tree Frogs: turning brown?

Dumpy's turn brown ALL the time. My girl in my avi pic is RARELY that color. Shes almost always brown. Its sort of like a chameleon thing. They change color to blend in with there environment. If the log hidy-hole is a brown or other dark color then thats what it is. If you want your frogs to be more like the colors you first got them as then I'd get some bright green plants for the green ones but I'm not sure about the blue. I could name plenty of blue spectrum plants but I dont know a lot about what plants are safe for frogs. Maybe someone around here would know or if you have a plant nursery near ya then you could try asking if they know. Fake plants are always a good alternative but be sure there animal grade and not something from a hobby store (they have wire and things that can poke your frogs and rust in the humidity).

All in all, I'd just give the little ones a while to settle in and as long as they eat and poop your more then likely fine. ^^

bas8577

Okay. I haven't handled them yet, and probably won't until it's time for cleaning the cage. this froggie is hiding in the shadows so I was hoping the color change was just because of that. Hopefully they finish off the crickets that were put in there last night...they've all been hiding since I got them home :/

InfinitysDaughter

Dumpy's tend to be aggressive eaters. Keep an eye on them to be sure one isn't getting them all and leaving none for the others. A good way to tell if there getting overweight is the little ridges right over the round ear spots. If it starts to enlarge and flop over the ears, then there gettin too dumpy. X3 On the plus side, they are fun to tong feed, especially for kids. They attack the wiggly crickets, the kids get a show, and you know exactly which frog is getting what.

How big a tank do you have them in? 3 all together that must be a pretty big tank. And dont worry about them hiding. They do that. Take a look and see if there comin out at night. I never see mine in the daylight but the lights go out and out she comes. She knows the light going out usually means dinner time. XD And if they aren't quite yet its ok. They may take a bit to settle in. But Whites/Dumpys are very easy going and dont tend to be high stress frogs (though there are always exceptions). They aren't as susceptible to the oils in our skin like other frogs (either thicker skin or a slime coat or something that protects them. I'm not 100% sure) but handling can still be stressful. My Azy likes being handled, she settles into a calm position and can sit for several hours without incident. Other's have said there frogs hate being handled.

Its up to your frog if they want to be handled and its a good idea to wait till the tank needs cleaning. You can hold them and see how they act. If they settle in your hands and are relaxed then you can probably handle them without stressing them. If they wiggle to get away or are tense like they'll jump at any second its not a good idea to hold them.

Thread Information