Thread: New RETF babies... much smaller than expected.

Cocinecro

Default New RETF babies... much smaller than expected.

So I just got in an order of some baby red eyes that I was expecting to be around 1", but turns out they're way smaller than that. I had no idea they were ever this small in their life cycle. I got my first red eyes when they were early juveniles and they were about 1" large. The males that I had never got larger than 1 1/2" so I thought I could add juveniles in with the adults that I have without a problem.

I found myself with 5 of these tiny guys instead.
    Name:  543709_397175353668719_207367788_n.jpg
Views: 2704
Size:  20.3 KB
    Name:  477512_398052896914298_100001287728751_1230288_1428662696_o.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  96.0 KB

So, overlooking the fact that they're so cute they make me nauseous, I'm having a bit of an issue since I've never kept any this small. There's no way I'm keeping these with the adults, so I currently have them in my hospital tank. I have a piece of golden pothos vine in there with them, shallow water dish, food bowl, moistend paper towels as substrate. Currently keeping them in the terrarium with my adults in the hospital tank, so they're sharing the same humidity and temperature with my adults, just screened off to keep the adults from eating them. My new terrarium is quite large enough to do so. My female RETF's are fat little gluttons, I don't trust them as frogs do not have the same moral oppositions toward cannibalism that we do.

I also need to know tips for caring for babies that are this small. I'm currently giving them pin crickets and 1/8" large crickets, dusted with reptical. Any other feeders small enough for these guys? Small mealworms are too big, fruit flies seem too small. I would like to give them a more varied diet, I'm sure it helps them as they're growing. When they get a bit larger I could start feeding them dubia nymphs, but those are too large for them at the moment. I've read that moths work well, but where the hell would I get those?

Any special requirements for them this small?

Anyways, looking for a bit of help, any advice, tips, or tricks would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New RETF babies... much smaller than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocinecro View Post
    So I just got in an order of some baby red eyes that I was expecting to be around 1", but turns out they're way smaller than that. I had no idea they were ever this small in their life cycle. I got my first red eyes when they were early juveniles and they were about 1" large. The males that I had never got larger than 1 1/2" so I thought I could add juveniles in with the adults that I have without a problem.

I found myself with 5 of these tiny guys instead.
    Name:  543709_397175353668719_207367788_n.jpg
Views: 2704
Size:  20.3 KB
    Name:  477512_398052896914298_100001287728751_1230288_1428662696_o.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  96.0 KB

So, overlooking the fact that they're so cute they make me nauseous, I'm having a bit of an issue since I've never kept any this small. There's no way I'm keeping these with the adults, so I currently have them in my hospital tank. I have a piece of golden pothos vine in there with them, shallow water dish, food bowl, moistend paper towels as substrate. Currently keeping them in the terrarium with my adults in the hospital tank, so they're sharing the same humidity and temperature with my adults, just screened off to keep the adults from eating them. My new terrarium is quite large enough to do so. My female Red-Eyed Leaf Frog's are fat little gluttons, I don't trust them as frogs do not have the same moral oppositions toward cannibalism that we do.

I also need to know tips for caring for babies that are this small. I'm currently giving them pin crickets and 1/8" large crickets, dusted with reptical. Any other feeders small enough for these guys? Small mealworms are too big, fruit flies seem too small. I would like to give them a more varied diet, I'm sure it helps them as they're growing. When they get a bit larger I could start feeding them dubia nymphs, but those are too large for them at the moment. I've read that moths work well, but where the hell would I get those?

Any special requirements for them this small?

Anyways, looking for a bit of help, any advice, tips, or tricks would be appreciated.
    Cocinecro,
    Congratulations !! They are just adorable.
    Keep this thread going. FF members will love to see them grow !

We are both in the same boat, as I have 4 A. moreletii this same size (same genus different species) for 10 days now
    I started a thread.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...them-grow.html

I have mine, in a 10 gallon w/ paper towel and de-chlorinated water,a feeding bowl, and a soaking dish and a pothos plant planted in tropical soil in a 4" pot. They are NOT using the feeding bowl YET. ( but obviously will need to get used to it) I have seen them on the edge though--- but no crickets have been missing from the bowl. I have been feeding pin heads as well; like you said mixed w/ a few different sizes. The most important thing is to watch for nightly activity and poop as it's practically impossible to count pinhead crickets! Also, we don't want to overheat them. I would refrain from putting them w/ an adult as well ! Yikes.

I was tempted to purchase the largest size fruit fly ?, but at this point I don't think it is necessary as they are eating really well. I have been dusting daily w/ cal and vits, putting in a lot of food to make dinner easy ! I worry the vits and cal powder falls off ! My plan is tho change the paper towel out ( for now) on 2 days of the week but add crickets if needed.

I have a little trick if you decide on getting a feeder you are concerned about escaping from the enclosure. Get to a fabric store, purchase a yard of a fabric called tulling. tI is a very , very fine mesh( much finer than screen and very soft and flexible) that is used i.e. for a bridal vai. It is very inexpensive and works perfectly! I have simply put it under the enclosure lid. I use it for butterflies; I raise monarchs every summer in critter keepers. The monarch caterpillar is only about a 1/16" when it hatches form the egg and can crawl right out of the critter keeper slot in the lid!

I wonder how big silk worm moths are? I have been giving my red eye and moreletii adults wax worms moths - they love them. It's a blast to watch them chase them around. They take as least a month to pupate to a moth ; but very simple to do! I think I will poke around about the silk worm idea?

I will post a pick like you did w/ the penny. Great idea! I will do it later this AM , we can compare.

Well, have a ball! Best to you and you babies! Gotta love it !

Keep in touch !!
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Default Re: New RETF babies... much smaller than expected.

soo cute!! love it when there that small!!

Thread Information