Thread: Help please! I'm afraid my baby White's Tree Frog is going to die. :(

botherella

Default Help please! I'm afraid my baby White's Tree Frog is going to die. :(

Tonight I took a look into my baby White's tree frog to check in on him and see if he ate any of the crickets in his bowl and I found him incapacitated laying against the side of the tank. He was non-responsive and acted like he was dead! I quickly snatched him out and ran to my computer to find out what might be wrong. I didn't find much help on the web, but I did notice that his skin was sloughing so I thought maybe he was either having a reaction to something or he was having troubles and the process was taking the energy out of him. Either way I wanted to get some energy back in him, so I researched honey baths. I put him in a warm dish or de-chlorinated water with a little bit of honey. After a little while I saw results. He sat up instead of just laying helplessly in my hand. And he opened his eyes cause before they were closed. He then started moving around and trying to jump a little bit. This activity only lasted for awhile then he started to go back to not moving. I cleaned his cage really well. I always keep the temperature around 75-80F and the humidity is high also. I have a fairly large tank for him with a very nice setup. He has a big water dish, a large log, some fake plants and vines, and coco substrate (Eco Earth). I love my Dumpy toad and I don't want anything bad to happen to him, he is only a baby, very tiny. I have had him almost 6 months. When I got him he was very thin and dry. A light green color. Now he is more plump and a very dark brown color. I don't know if the color change was a good or bad thing. If anyone knows what is going on with him, please help. And let me know if I can provide you with any more info.

Thanks,

Erin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help please! I'm afraid my baby White's Tree Frog is going to die. :(

Hi Erin,
    It sound like you have a good start to help him feel better.
    I do not have Whites. As you know, there are plenty of FF members that do !

1)Here is information for a vet if you should need it:

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

2) cut / paste and answer all of the questions below on this/your thread: !!! please post pics if possible - it is very important

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...enclosure.html

3) see this post:
    http://www.frogforum.net/content/bas...first-aid-142/

MOST IMPORTANTLY - HAVE YOU SEEN ANY POOP ?
    Hope this gets things started for you and your frog. I hope he feels better soon!
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Default Re: Help please! I'm afraid my baby White's Tree Frog is going to die. :(

Hi Erin,
    Sometimes when Whites Tree Frogs are sick they will change to a brownish color, has your baby just recently turned this color or has he been this color for a while. Please try to post a picture it helps a TON If your Froggy friend doesn't get better in a week or so and no FF members can diagnose your frog, I would suggest emailing Dr. Frye if there are no vets available in your area. Good luck
    Rip Mr. Sticky 1-13-12 ~ 3-8-12
    Mr. Jelly

botherella

Dear Lynn,
    Here is the info you asked for and I am getting pictures as we speak!
    1-size of enclosure- 3 ft. tall, 2 ft. wide2-# on inhabitants - 1
    3-humidity- 80-90
    4-temp- 75-80
    5-water - dechlorinated, purified water
    6-materials used for substrate- coco fiber (Eco Earth)
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv- Fake plants and fake logs on top of substrate, fake vines from side to side and large water dish in corner.
    8-main food source- crickets
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )- Calcium with D3 powder, on every cricket he eats
    10-lighting- Aquarium light, it is blue and not too powerful.
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure- the aquarium lights gets the job done well.
    12-when is the last time he ate- he hasn't eat in 5-7 days
    13-have you found poop lately- I just cleaned the tank but his poop is usually too small to detect anyways
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog- 7 months maybe- He is only 2 in. long
    16-how long have you owned him- 6 months
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred- captive
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats- just crickets so far, trying to bring meal worms in but he won't go for it.
    19- about how often the frog is handled- once a week maybe
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area- low, in my bedroom only used for sleeping.

botherella

Dear Kallee,
    My tree frog "Hopkins" was a vivd green when I first got him but in the the past half month or so he has turned a dark brown color. I will get you a pic before and after in just a sec. And I also emailed Dr. Frye, thank you!

Hmm when he started turning a brown color did he act differently?
    Mr. Jelly

botherella

No not really. But that is about the time that I started feeding him in his cage with a glass bowl. Could that have caused stress? Or maybe he got bit by a cricket. He started sloughing too. I covered his cage with a blanket and put a heat mat underneath it so he doesn't get cold.

botherella

Name:  photo-15.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  58.4 KB

botherella

So I took my baby tree frog to the vet today and they said he had a systemic infection. Apparently the inside of his mouth and gums were pale which was a sign of that. She prescribed some drops that weren't meant for frogs because he was too small for the actual treatment. I'm supposed to put one drop on him for ten days and .02 mg of the other medicine for 3 weeks. I don't know if he'll pull through but I am praying and begging he does. Wish me luck!

Aww poor little Hopkins mouth��. I hope the medicene works! What kind of drops were the animal meant for if they weren't meant for frogs?( sorry just curious)
    Mr. Jelly

Thread Information