Thread: Converting aquariums to terrariums for tree frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Converting aquariums to terrariums for tree frogs

I have 2 green tree frogs (about 1 1/2 inches) and 2 White's tree frogs (about 1 1/2 inches), each was/is in a 10-gallon terrarium.

I am converting 2 fish tanks (one is a 25 gallon, which is a 20-high plus a few inches), and a 30 gallon square type (21" long x 18" wide x 20" high) for the frogs.

Just completed the conversion of the 25 gallon and moved my Whites into there. Since the attached picture was taken, I added two hanging fake plants at the back, a piece of Mobani wood at the bottom, and a fake branch with leaves that attaches to the side with suction cups. I've debated on taking the leaf litter (oak) out and putting in coconut husk instead as I would think crickets would hide more. Layers are (bottom) gravel, ABS (?) soil mixed with some coconut fiber, then the leaf litter and moss (sheet moss). I've also debated on adding a layer of peat moss below the leaf litter, but right now it's similar to the picture plus the fake plants. Any thoughts/advice on this would be appreciated.

Name:  treefrogterrarium.jpg
Views: 4841
Size:  265.5 KB

Now, on to my next project, the conversion of the 30-gallon square aquarium for my green tree frogs, currently nearly empty but still has sand in the bottom. It will be set up similarly. I do have to figure out a lid, though. I'm thinking of using the glass lid then cut and silicone some needlepoint canvas to the glass top to put at the back for ventilation. Any ideas would be great! The 25-gallon currently has a wire lid, although I could do the same on it, use the glass top and add some screening at the back part if you think it is necessary for humidity control.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Converting aquariums to terrariums for tree frogs

The other one was completed Tuesday evening. I had siliconed 2 suction cups to hold the fake plants. What is missing in the photo below are the fake plants I put on the back (which were in their old habitat).

Name:  treefrogterrarium2b.jpg
Views: 2248
Size:  156.0 KB

A few questions now:

My White's are all over their enclosure, I see them at the very top hanging out on top of the background, but mostly they stay lower to sleep. Twice I've seen the smaller of the two (whom I've named Jade) on top of the background ledge and then when I turn the lights on in the morning he/she climbs down and sleeps on the background behind a fake plant. I'm not sure where the other one sleeps. I have had trouble misting the terrarium enough so that the moss on the tree fern panels (at the sides) to stay damp, in both terrariums. The moss on the bottom stays damp. My green tree frogs sleep on top of their cork background. Both have mostly screen tops.

I have thought about adding a mister but the two terrariums are about 10 feet apart and it would not too easy to have both on one misting appliance. Would the tree fern panels wick up water from the bottom if they are damp at the bottom? I have seen some mold at the base of the tree fern panels -- is this harmful?

What can I add (or change), if anything, to make the setups more comfortable for them? I know I can add plastic on the screen top to help hold in moisture, although there will still be at least a 4 - 5 inch gap to allow heat from the lights to escape and allow light to get to the plants. I have T5 lighting, which is good for plants.

I also need honest input about whether or not these setups are big enough for these frogs for the rest of their lives (White's are in a 25-gallon; Green tree frogs in the square one which would be close to a 18 x 18 x 18 Exo Terra). The White's are young, small frogs right now; the green tree frogs are about 1 1/2 inches long.

Thread Information