Thread: Newly morphed toadlet help!

YogaFrog

Default Newly morphed toadlet help!

Hey! My little toadlet came out of the water about a day and a half ago and already his tail is almost gone! I absolutely amazed at how fast it as grown! It was only 3 weeks and 2 days ago that I brought him home as a tadpole with no legs!

Now that he is out of the water, I am a little confused about his habitat. The Eco earth I got sticks to him like crazy (he is so small, he could fit on a dime with room to spare) and I am not sure about potting soil because every kind I have looked at has SOMETHING in it! He is in a medium critter tank for now (I plan on moving him to a 10 gallon soon). Now I am using the Eco earth with a small layer of moss on top (stuff he could hop over or climb through). Is this ok? I am so worried about doing something wrong!

Also, does his tail need to be completely gone for him to eat? Should I try feeding him in a separate container? I have a flightless fruit fly culture from petco. I made a cover that fits over the critter carrier (and under the top) out of nylon hoes so the fruit flies can't escape.

Any advice?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nicodimus22

Default Re: Newly morphed toadlet help!

Moss is good at holding moisture, but it's a major impaction risk. If you feed your toad in his habitat, take it out. I certainly advocate feeding in a separate container, as it removes the risk of impaction from substrate, and it allows you to monitor exactly how much he eats. I've heard of toadlets eating when they still had 50% of their tails, but more commonly it starts around 25% left. It's OK if the Eco Earth sticks to him. When he dries, it will fall off on its own. The soil really doesn't have to be all that moist as long as you are providing a water bowl to soak in. Keep it shallow, though, toads are poor swimmers and only need enough water to sit in and keep their head above water.

YogaFrog

Default Re: Newly morphed toadlet help!

Already took the moss out. Thanks. He is eating great and growing so fast!

Thread Information