Thread: Pics of my new African Bullfrog!!!

tauntonhandy

Default Pics of my new African Bullfrog!!!

I have attached a couple of pics of our lovely bullfrog "Mella". Have had her (hoping its her) since saturday and she is brilliant. was a bit shy for first day but the on Sunday she perked up a bit and ate 5 locusts and a pile of meal worms. Doesnt seem to want to eat today though? is there a best time of day to feed?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bullfrogman69

Default Re: Pics of my new African Bullfrog!!!

Hi Paul what mine tend to do is eat like pigs then completely cover themselves in moss and peat for a few days and eat nothing.Then when they feel hungry all you see is the head poking through the moss and they go back to eating anything that moves withing a few inches of their wide mouths

tauntonhandy

I was kind of hoping that was the case, but just dont have a benchmark for what is normal feeding what with her being my first and only!!! I reckon 4-5 locusts and 10-15 mealworms should last her a few days at a push!!!

Bullfrogman69

How big is your frog? As long as you keep the temp,humidity and keep the enclosure nice and clean you should not have any problems with it and it will tell you when it needs more food when it comes back out of its hide.

PS I feed mine every few weeks with a dead baby mouse or a rat pup using 12 inch round forceps and after a large meal like that he tends to go in hiding for a few days.

Jace

Very nice looking! Congratulations. I think she is going to give you many many years of enjoyment!

StephenLS

I've kept bullfrogs and horned frogs before.

I like to try and vary the diet as much as possible. Mine seem to get quite exited for smaller prey items (e.g small locusts / adult crickets). I do feed the occassional mouse but have read this can lead to the development of diseases linked to the fat content of the item!

Bullfrogman69

Hows the frog doing Paul? I forgot to ask did you buy him private or from a dealer?

tauntonhandy

Cheers!

She is about 5 inches from snout to vent, she is still in hinding, has been since night before last. Spent 1 whole day in water and all day today under moss and mud! we are misting he vivarium every few hours and keeping temp at 24degrees, if she is not out for food by tomorrow evening i am going to start to worry!!!!

tauntonhandy

sorry bullfrogman, our messages overlapped!! frog is doing ok, as in above post still not eating yet!! bit worried how long boxes of locusts will last now!!

Bought her privately from really nice bloke from yorkshire who replied to my wanted post on forum. He had 2 others for sale as well. would love to have more but am starting gently as this is my first amphibian!

Bullfrogman69

Paul dont worry thats what they do.mine went to ground on monday and is still there,I know he will be out for the weekend to party again lol.
    The locust need greens to survive I can keep mine for weeks and I need to because they are so expensive. Is your frog the dwarf or giant as its hard to tell from those pictures.

pokieman

HI I want to buy a male african bullfrog not a dwarf african bullfrog can you steer me in the right direction my email is **************@gmail.com
    thanks

Contact Justin through private message please. Also, just some advice to the members; it's not a good idea to post your e-mail address publically in the forum. To do so can lead to problems for that member.
    Last edited by Kurt; December 25th, 2009 at 09:42 PM.

Jace

Hiya Paul. My female is going through a non-eating stage as well. However, after a year and a half of owning two bullfrogs, I don't start to panic until more than a month has passed. She will eat when she is good and ready and not a moment before. They can be very stubborn, and I think they know when they are causing us to worry. As long as you keep her misted and warm, she will let you know when she is ready to eat again. I would love to see more pics of your girl-I think African Bullfrogs are amazing and I cannot see enough of them. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed my two.

Thread Information