Thread: Pls help me understand the sudden death of my Albino pacman frog (Santari)

johnny888

Default Pls help me understand the sudden death of my Albino pacman frog (Santari)

I am totally devastated and confused right now because my female albino pacman frog named Santari just died this morning with no apparent reason.She was totally fine last night but I noticed that she was restless this morning...I thought she was just trying to get out because this is the first time it rained for the whole night after a few months of constant heat and high humidity living in a tropical country.She was just hopping back and forth then suddenly become nauseated...she was trying to regurgitate something and passed out a clear mucous secretion and suddenly went into seizure and died. She was kept in a plastic tub almost the size of a 10 gallons aquarium with a cocopeat as a substrate and a rectangular deli cup with a half filled H2O for soaking that I usually change every other day or even daily when she's soaking more frequently. The ambient temperature is around 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit with a constant humidity of around 80-90%. She ate 6 lobster roaches 5 days ago followed by a medium mouse 2 days after and she even defecated a solid stool yesterday morning.I kept asking what went wrong?have I done something that causes my Santari's sudden death?or is there a sudden death syndrome among pacman frogs because I lost one ornate last year without any apparent signs and symptoms of illness also.

Note: The mucous became dirty because of the substrate but it was all clear right after it was regurgitated and water dish was also dirty due to her last activity this morning.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

IvoryReptiles

Default Re: Pls help me understand the sudden death of my Albino pacman frog (Santari)

Do you de-chlorinate the water?
    85 is too hot 82 should be top temps during the day, 78 at night.
    It could have been chytrid too.
    Did you feel her stomach area? Was there a hard lump in it?
    How often did you feed her mice?

In the end, you will only know for sure if a vet could have done a necropsy.
    Sorry for your loss.

4. This member thanks IvoryReptiles for this post:

Sublime

Default Re: Pls help me understand the sudden death of my Albino pacman frog (Santari)

The regurgitation seems like some sort of toxin was swallowed followed by bodily fluids beings released. Where did you buy this frog? Have you always bought captive-bred (lab-bred) food for your pacman? There were no symptoms in the last month of having him or her that were abnormal or other routine? To me, this doesn't seem like chytrid fungus. I'm sorry Johnny .

6. This member thanks Sublime for this post:

johnny888

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    Do you de-chlorinate the water?
    85 is too hot 82 should be top temps during the day, 78 at night.
    It could have been chytrid too. -
    Did you feel her stomach area? Was there a hard lump in it?
    How often did you feed her mice?

In the end, you will only know for sure if a vet could have done a necropsy.
    Sorry for your loss.
    The stomach is soft with no palpable mass/lump in it. It is also my second time to feed her mouse the first time was 3 weeks ago.

It could have been better if she's been sick for a few days at least I could have done something like medical intervention or probably send her to a vet. = (

johnny888

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    The regurgitation seems like some sort of toxin was swallowed followed by bodily fluids beings released. Where did you buy this frog? Have you always bought captive-bred (lab-bred) food for your pacman? There were no symptoms in the last month of having him or her that were abnormal or other routine? To me, this doesn't seem like chytrid fungus. I'm sorry Johnny .
    I got her from a friend and she was a captive bred import.

I always buy my feeders from a regular supplier except the mice but i don't think it's the mice because my other frogs are doing just fine.

What bothers me the most was there was not a single prominent sign that she was sick. She was on her regular self like half burrowed in her substrate most of the time last night but she started to emerge when it started raining so i thought it was just another frog nature or something and when I woke up this morning she was still trying to get out of her enclosure so I was really surprised when I saw her trying to regurgitate some mucous secretions and then I panicked when I saw her having seizures so I immediately transferred her to a clean plastic tub and that's when she died.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm guessing it was neurological. She probably was having a seizure before vomiting. A lot of animals that have seizures vomit due to all the sudden bioelectrical firing of the nerves. All these firing from the brain seizing is tromatic and the frog probably felt the seizure coming and that is why she was stressed. If a seizure is bad enough it can cause death.

Of course I am no expert or Vet so I can not give you any assurance that this was the true cause of death, but symptoms seem right for a neurological problem as well as the seizure.

I'm very sorry for your loss Johnny. She was very beautiful.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for your loss
    If something goes wrong with the liver, it can cause seizures like what you described. Can't say that's what happened without a necropsy, but I've had animals in late-stage liver failure that continued to eat and act fairly normal up to a couple hours before death (usually ending with seizures). The only outward symptom was ascites (fluid swelling in the abdomen) and a little bit of lethargy, and you probably wouldn't even notice that in a pacman since they carry a lot of fluid normally and are so sedentary.

Thread Information