Thread: Sick Fire Belly

Redwing

Default Sick Fire Belly

Hello all, my girlfriend has two fire bellies. Both of the female's eyes are swollen, and she refuses to eat, she's also suddenly very inactive and appears to have lost a little bit of weight. Was wondering if someone could help me out. There are no exotic vets that we can take her to. Any help will be great.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick Fire Belly

Quote Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
    Hello all, my girlfriend has two fire bellies. Both of the female's eyes are swollen, and she refuses to eat, she's also suddenly very inactive and appears to have lost a little bit of weight. Was wondering if someone could help me out. There are no exotic vets that we can take her to. Any help will be great.
    In this case a vet is needed. Could be an infection that may require antibiotics. I'm not sure if our frog first aid sections describes this illness, but ill post it for you to look at. Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid

I wish I could provide more help.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree. It sounds like an infection. I would do a complete water change. You can try and email Dr. Frye. I apologize that I do not know the email address, but others here do. See if you can scroll through other illness posts or start a new thread. You'll have to act quickly though. If her toads are not eating she can do a 1:10 pedialyte solution soak for 15 minutes. Use ratio of 1% slightly warm (not hot) dechlorinated water to 10% plain clear pedialyte. This will provide electrolytes needed that they are not getting by starving themselves. Are all of the toads in the enclosure sick? If not, separate the I'll ones to a hospital/quarantine tank. A 10gal will do with a screen lid. I would use paper towel substrate but provide a water bowl for them to soak and swim in. Change water daily. See if you can more info from her...how long has she had them? How long have they stopped eating for? Did the eye swelling start before or after they stopped eating? The temp of the tank? The humidity? And the general set-up and standard routine she uses for them for cleaning of the tank, feeding, lighting, etc.

Keep us posted. We'll try and help.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry, that was a long answer... I should have separated the paragraph a bit.

Will wait to hear...
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Redwing

Default Re: Sick Fire Belly

Thanks for the suggestions, I myself have been a bit busy today, however my girlfriend did inform me that her toad is looking much better today(she had noticed it looked ill on Friday). She did do a complete cleaning and water change the both of the past too days and told me the temp had been maintained at 79 and humidity levels were normal( i forget the exact numbers now. The swelling has gone way down and she is moving around a lot more and acting more like her normal self. The other toad she has, has been acting and looking completely normal during the past few days so he didn't seem to be infected.
    I will give her your suggestions however, thank you for the reply. I will post again if the situation changes.

Nationality
    [United States]

Great! I hope all continues well for her. I'll be here if you need any other suggestions.

Have a good day!

Thread Information