Thread: Green and Golden Bell Frogs - and cannibalistic tenancies.

Elsha

Default Green and Golden Bell Frogs - and cannibalistic tenancies.

I'm a relatively new frog owner and I've got two baby frogs.

Jeremy*, as seen in the first pic, is a little older then Jemima*, but almost twice the size. Jemima, as seen in second pic, only finished her metamorphosis around two weeks ago.

Jemima has been placed into the second tank on a temporary basis. I bought her online (will never do so again) and the seller wasn't very favorable with a correct description of her size. I thought both frogs would be relatively the same and, as you can see in the photo's, they're not.

I'm hesitant with putting them in the same terrarium together, because I know Green and Golden Bell's have cannibalistic tenancies - but I really want to get Jemima out of the orange tank because it's not suitable for frogs.

Has anyone been in this situation before? Can you tell me if you think Jeremy will eat Jemima?

*sex's of frogs unknown.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jess

Default Re: Green and Golden Bell Frogs - and cannibalistic tenancies.

I'm in exactly the same boat...I have 2 full grown G&G boys in a BIG terrarium, and quite a few months ago I brought some baby G&G's from Animates, so my little boys (or girls) are in a critter keeper until they are big enough that I feel safe putting them in with the Adults. I have been told by people who have kept them for a while that the safest time to put them in with another frog is when they're about 2/3's as big as the largest frogs.

Elsha

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I'm in exactly the same boat...I have 2 full grown G&G boys in a BIG terrarium, and quite a few months ago I brought some baby G&G's from Animates, so my little boys (or girls) are in a critter keeper until they are big enough that I feel safe putting them in with the Adults. I have been told by people who have kept them for a while that the safest time to put them in with another frog is when they're about 2/3's as big as the largest frogs.
    2/3's eh? Thankfully that shouldn't be too long! Thanks so much!

Jess

No probs...glad I could help

You may have to do some waiting.
    If the smaller frog is a female it will take around twice as long to grow to the other frogs size than if it were a male.
    What exactly is the size difference? I can't really tell from the photos.

Elsha

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    You may have to do some waiting.
    If the smaller frog is a female it will take around twice as long to grow to the other frogs size than if it were a male.
    What exactly is the size difference? I can't really tell from the photos.
    We're not sure what the sexes are, too young to tell. The smaller one is about 1.5cm smaller in length.

They should be starting to hibernate now so they won't grow for 3 months. So you could just put hiding spots in the temporary tank and leave it in there, that way you have three months to sort something out. I'd reccomened making a new setup for the smaller one while it grows. When it's big enough they can go in together and you have a spare tank, which you could put hmmmmmm maybe some Brown Tree frogs into

Thread Information