Thread: could you help me to convince the keepers in my country?

Iragil

Default could you help me to convince the keepers in my country?

I have visted this forum for a long time. I love this forum so much.
    Here's the deal.
    I think that if frogs fed on rats for a long time, it would cause great burden to their body function and hence shorten their lifespan.
    But the keepers in my contury want their frogs grow rapidly, and they wish their frogs as big and fat as possible,they think fat frog is cute.So taking rats as main food for frogs is very common in my countury
    Every time when I say or remind them in the forum that feeding rats would do harm to their frogs,I gain lots of questionming. They won't trust me unless I show them convincing research material and data. But I can do nothing.
    So could everyone help me,help the frogs from my contury by providing some powerful evidence and data?
    Very appriciate for your help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

IvoryReptiles

Default Re: could you help me to convince the keepers in my country?

The only "Evidence" I could provide is pictures of our frogs.......they get rat/mouse as a treat ONLY and it happens every 3 months. Our frogs are chunky and "fat" but not obese. They are fed a staple of Nightcrawlers (earthworms) and do very well on this as a staple.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If the appearance of the unhealthily obese frogs isn't enough then there is probably no way to convince the keepers in your country otherwise. I wish there was more that we could provide. Perhaps when they start to notice the health of their frogs declining rapidly they will change the way they feed their frogs. A frog Fed only rats will not live very long. I feel sorry for those poor frogs.

Iragil

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    The only "Evidence" I could provide is pictures of our frogs.......they get rat/mouse as a treat ONLY and it happens every 3 months. Our frogs are chunky and "fat" but not obese. They are fed a staple of Nightcrawlers (earthworms) and do very well on this as a staple.
    thx for your answer

billmanson

Quote Originally Posted by Iragil View Post
    I have visted this forum for a long time. I love this forum so much.
    Here's the deal.
    I think that if frogs fed on rats for a long time, it would cause great burden to their body function and hence shorten their lifespan.
    But the keepers in my contury want their frogs grow rapidly, and they wish their frogs as big and fat as possible,they think fat frog is cute.So taking rats as main food for frogs is very common in my countury
    Every time when I say or remind them in the forum that feeding rats would do harm to their frogs,I gain lots of questionming. They won't trust me unless I show them convincing research material and data. But I can do nothing.
    So could everyone help me,help the frogs from my contury by providing some powerful evidence and data?
    Very appriciate for your help!
    they feed pet like feed a child, the theory that eating more meat will make it grow stronger is deep inside of us, i think that is the reason Y we feed more mice.
    and, Seeing frog attacking a small mice is really a amusement

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by billmanson View Post
    they feed pet like feed a child, the theory that eating more meat will make it grow stronger is deep inside of us, i think that is the reason Y we feed more mice.
    Its very unhealthy for the frogs and the obesity caused by feeding only mice as a main food spice causes liver and kidney failure as well as blindness.

billmanson

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Its very unhealthy for the frogs and the obesity caused by feeding only mice as a main food spice causes liver and kidney failure as well as blindness.
    thx, i see!
    how about feed one or tow mice monthly? or less frequently?
    and how giving them fish as the main food?

Sublime

thx, i see!
    how about feed one or tow mice monthly? or less frequently?
    and how giving them fish as the main food?
    Yeah, your schedule for feeding mice is fine. Be careful with feeding fish; use guppies, mollies, or minnows. It's recommended to either breed the fish yourself, or buy from a good fish shop that keeps the tanks clean and doesn't use shared filters for different types of fish. Parasites are a main concern when feeding fish, avoid goldfish.

billmanson

if i frozen the fish in icebox for some days before feeding the frog, how about that, do u think low temp can kill parasite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Yeah, your schedule for feeding mice is fine. Be careful with feeding fish; use guppies, mollies, or minnows. It's recommended to either breed the fish yourself, or buy from a good fish shop that keeps the tanks clean and doesn't use shared filters for different types of fish. Parasites are a main concern when feeding fish, avoid goldfish.

Nationality
    [United States]

if i frozen the fish in icebox for some days before feeding the frog, how about that, do u think low temp can kill parasite?
    No. A lot of bacterial parasites and viruses can survive cold temps by covering themselves in a protein membrane.

12. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

billmanson

allright!now i think i must change my bull‘s diet, haha, thanks!
    No. A lot of bacterial parasites and viruses can survive cold temps by covering themselves in a protein membrane.

Sublime

Look at Grif getting all scientific. No it's true though; freezing will get rid of a lot of communicable parasites, but not all and will become pathogens (disease) that will harm your frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Look at Grif getting all scientific. No it's true though; freezing will get rid of a lot of communicable parasites, but not all and will become pathogens (disease) that will harm your frog.
    Hey I know a thing or two about science

morelaughing

they dont feed frogs such as feeding babys in my opinion,cause their babys are more important than their frogs.when they feed their babys,they must to consider more aspects,they are all self-centerd and even selfish!they are all stubborn ,too.The rats are their god!

billmanson

i just bought some earthworm and dubias from taobao, i will change the stable food next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by morelaughing View Post
    they dont feed frogs such as feeding babys in my opinion,cause their babys are more important than their frogs.when they feed their babys,they must to consider more aspects,they are all self-centerd and even selfish!they are all stubborn ,too.The rats are their god!

wesleybrouwer

How about impaction, sometimes makes me think this is the #1 cause of death around people feeding them.
    Besides, ever seen what a mouse or rat can do when agitated?
    My brother keeps poisonous snakes, once saw a cobra bit in the head by just a small mouse and a friend of him had an adult rat attack a python.....
    I believe there is so much choice of food, why bother risking any problems?
    In nature it could well be they eat them when they come across it, but then again, who cares if the frog dies in nature because of this?
    I truely believe it's merely for the joy of watching instead it's in the benefit of the frogs health,
    take a look over the internet, so much movies of people feeding absurt prey to their frogs...
    Like it's a contest, look what my frog can eat, watch how big/heavy my frog is.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybrouwer View Post
    How about impaction, sometimes makes me think this is the #1 cause of death around people feeding them.
    My brother keeps poisonous snakes, once saw a cobra bit in the head by just a small mouse and a friend of him had an adult rat attack a python.....
    In nature it could well be they eat them when they come across it, but then again, who cares if the frog dies in nature because of this?
    I truely believe it's merely for the joy of watching instead it's in the benefit of the frogs health,
    take a look over the internet, so much movies of people feeding absurt prey to their frogs...
    Exactly!! Using a rodent as an occasional treat is one thing, but to use them as a main food source or to feed LIVE oversized prey is irresponsible and cruel. I believe if its going to be food for your frog it should be a pup that can't do harm to your frog or prekilled.

Iragil

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybrouwer View Post
    what a great answer!

Thread Information