Thread: HELP ASAP - Just found Cope's Gray Tree Frog & No Idea where to begin w/setting up new home.

ColbyJoe

Question HELP ASAP - Just found Cope's Gray Tree Frog & No Idea where to begin w/setting up new home.

This morning my son found a very young Cope's Gray Tree Frog. She's not "tee tiny" but then I'm not sure what to compare her to when it comes to a tree frog (can someone compare an adult Cope's Gray w/an everyday object so I'll have a better idea? I'm not good with math so please don't use metrics.) I verified that it wasn't the regular Gray tree frog before anything else. As he is going to keep her and we know NOTHING about taking care of froggies PLEASE tell me "Step-by-Step" what I need to ensure that this little girl (I'm fairly sure it's a girl b/c of the very white throat/neck) is well taken care of. I know there is a whole section on here dedicated just to the care of frogs but from what I've read so far it doesn't offer me the "dummy" information that I need. My son has named her "Hoppy" and she's currently in a critter catcher, you know one of those things kids can catch bugs and lizards in to keep for an hour or two, until I can figure out what to do next. Should we get her a companion, another Cope's Gray or is she fine alone? But MOST IMPORTANTLY I need to know everything to get her new home in order: aquarium, type of dirt & how much, greenery, water & how much, food/vitamins (what types/how often), any special lighting, and does she need a heat source (we live in SC & it gets very hot down here but we keep our AC set on 75 degrees)? We had little green yard lizards one time and they had to have a heat rock so I'm really clueless. Kept them for a long time and they even layed eggs but the eggs never hatched. After about a year when the kids lost interest (they were 4, 4, and 2 at the time) we released them back into the yard which is where we caught them. Regardless of my stupidity, PLEASE HELP! My son is now 10 and is so excited! Plus my husband worked last night and is sleeping so he has no idea about this yet. I want to really impress him with as much information as possible when he wakes up so bring on the advice!!! Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HELP ASAP - Just found Cope's Gray Tree Frog & No Idea where to begin w/setting up new home.

kueluck's Album: The Gray Tree Frog Gang here's a link to my Cope's. I have 3 in one tank. "They" say they are fine alone, but mine usually hang out together, I think it's one of those save in numbers things. I raised them from tads last year. I feed mainly turkish roaches, my neighbor also feeds crickets once in awhile and silk worms. You want a high tank since they live in the trees, no special lighting since they are nocturnal. My tank stays any where from 65 at night to 85 during the day but averages at 76. Humidity runs 40 to 60%. Make sure you have a water dish for them to soak in and DO NOT use tap water that contains chlorine, I use clean rain water or spring water. I use moss on the bottom of the Exo Terra. You don't want them close to blowing air since this will dry them out quickly and have a hard time shedding then. When they shed they look like they are gasping for air or yawning and wipe themselves, pull the skin into their mouths and eat it. There are lots of people here with grays so you'll get lots of info. They are hardy little critters and they are a blast to have around.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

4. This member thanks kueluck for this post:

LizardMama

Default Re: HELP ASAP - Just found Cope's Gray Tree Frog & No Idea where to begin w/setting up new home.

Hi there, I can help you out, I have 1 female and 2 male Gray Tree Frogs.

A 10 gallon tank is fine for Gray Tree Frogs, you need to have some coco fiber substrate on the bottom and a water dish with de-chlorified water. These frogs like sticks and branches to climb on and fake leaves (these are chameleon-like frogs, can change color from gray to green). Temps, should be 78 degrees in the tank, spray two to three times a week.

ColbyJoe

Do you perhaps know how I can get another Cope's Gray, preferably a male? Privately owned pet store that we are very comfortable with told me they can't sell them here in SC so I'd have to either find another one or figure out some other way. I'd love for our new little girl to have a friend. We tried looking for more yesterday near the small creek in our backyard since it has been raining a lot here the past few days but they are so good at camoflauging themselves I don't know if we even got close to any. Any ideas?

Thread Information