Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Pacman Frog eats DRY fish food sticks, is this heathly and can I maintain him on this diet?

IvoryReptiles

Default Re: My Pacman Frog eats DRY fish food sticks, is this heathly and can I maintain him on this diet?

One more time.....

It should be fine to feed them as long as they have been moistened.
    I would not recommend to feed it as a staple diet, but as a variety to offer.
    The color enhancers do not cause any issues as far as we can tell after 4 years of using the mentioned foods in raising our tadpoles & frogs.
    The fish pellets can also be used as a treat as long as it is a carnivorous formula and again, moistened.
    Although they are made for easy digestion and will probably break up easily in the digestive tract, why take the chance of causing an issue? Just pulverize it, make a dough and tong feed. Or soak it until soft and tong feed.

I am just trying to help answer your original questions. I don't know everything. But we have all been weighing in to give advice from experience. Hope it helps.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Minhocao

Default Re: My Pacman Frog eats DRY fish food sticks, is this heathly and can I maintain him on this diet?

When looking at the video PacmanFood, I wanted to copy something similar to give as food occasionally. Use balanced food of American Bullfrog. (Frog extruded). The problem was that frogs defecate very liquid and very ugly smell.
    I returned not to use. Studies on ancient items found in stomachs of C.ornata conclude that their main diet is other frogs. As provided in captivity? Frogs healthy, disease free and cheaply, very difficult.
    I only use cockroaches, crickets and earthworms as based diet. every 2-3 months a mouse. But I think it lacks the nutrients that food provides the other frogs.
    Sorry for my bad English.

ramp

Thanks for charing the experiance it the dry food.
    I saw the 'Samurai' video on dry food formula too and had my doubts on it. I will stick to my diet currently used and maybe try the dry crushed and moistened food as a treat in future.

How often do you dust your live food with calcium and/or vitamins?

Minhocao

I use 1 or 2 times a week. (use Reptocal and ReptoLife) One at a time.
    The theory says you should gently sprinkle the insect, but not bathing in the dust.
    Calcium deficiency as the excess of it, is bad.
    In a course that you make in Argentina, given by Durrell and Amphibian Ark. They explained the need for UVB light. Help like reptiles to synthesize calcium and D3. I saw videos of frogs sunning during the day (ex. Gastrotheca sp). A Ceratophrys half buried with his back on the ground surface in full sun. Perhaps when the animal is sufficient to finish completely buried.
    I hope you can understand the concept.

ramp

I do use vitamin with D3 always on any of our reptiles/amphibians.
    Don't now if the Ceratophrys expose themselves to the sun in nature (the sorse of UVB) But since they are mainly active in the evening and nigth I don't expose them to it, certainly because they are on the ground and most part buried into the soil or other organic mather.

Minhocao

I also thought not to be necessary UVB light.
    But it's not crazy, that the animal in a time of day to sun exposure.
    They are nocturnal and live most of the time underground. but I've seen horned frogs active during the day in nature, always on the evening. Perhaps it might be something to think.
    In the course explained, we are beginning to use UVB light. Both adults and larvae.
    At the moment I only use in arboreal species (Litorias, Phyllomedusas, Trachycephalus, etc) at the moment with good results

8. This member thanks Minhocao for this post:

ramp

Keep us posted on how it is going.
    I gues when you actuay use a UVB sorse, it is a 2.0 bulb?

Minhocao

Quote Originally Posted by ramp View Post
    Keep us posted on how it is going.
    I gues when you actuay use a UVB sorse, it is a 2.0 bulb?

I honestly do not come with that graduation UVB tubes to Argentina. We use graduation Sylvania tubes 5.0 (I think) to 20cm of frogs in the top of the terrarium. Also they can graduate the intensity if they fall to the floor of the terrarium. I use them a year ago.

ramp

Thanks, interesting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information