Thread: Differences in Whites Tree Frogs

Amphibians

Default Differences in Whites Tree Frogs

I've wanted a blue phase whites tree frog for awhile now, most pet stores around me dont have them (although I probably wouldnt want one from there anyway). Awhile ago at the last pet expo near me I saw some small blue tree frogs labeled, "Blue Dumpys." I assumed this was the same as a whites tree frog, but when i asked the man if it was and how big they got, he said no and that these wouldnt get much bigger (they were tiny). After reading about them online, it seems as if theres not much difference between WTF's besides where they come from, and color. Another expo is comming up and I want to know if I see these again if they are what I am looking for.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Differences in Whites Tree Frogs

It's basically the same. At the store I work at, we label the blue phase of White's as "Blue Dumpy". Colour is the main difference, though there might be some slight other differences, such as size, but I believe that isn't by much.

The blues are prettier. Even if they are not really blue (according to some people).

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

So when I first started keeping frogs they were called "White's Dumpy Tree Frog" and you could have Blue or Green (or White if you were really really really lucky). In general the "Blue" (see the other thread for color questions) are the Australian phase and the Green are Indonesian. The tiny frogs will get bigger, it's fairly common to see the froglets for sale. Be conscious of the fact that froglets are more difficult to care for than adults because they are more fragile (sensitive) and require smaller food sources. I like to buy adults or sub-adults whenever possible, but sometimes its not. No matter what size or "morph" (subspecies?...I hate taxonomy) they will prove to be a great pet.

Best of Luck,
    Alex

snoopfroggyfrog

I have two green whites & two blue whites, im estimating that they are roughly the same age and are roughly the same size... i have noticed however that when the green ones go their greenist colour its lovely and some times even a very yellowish green, but one of them especially seems to stay browner in colour and when he hops around on the bark stubstrate hes very brown....and then at other times i find it hard to see him hiding in between green plants when he goes green
    My blue ones always seem to stay a blue tinge of some sort.....and i can always tell them straight away from the others... they are a gorgeous colour but so far the green ones seem to have shown a larger range of colours....
    heres some pics below.....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Kurt

Keep in mind there is a "blue" treefrog (Rhacophorus sp.) from Vietnam and they're small, so don't let that trip you up.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopfroggyfrog View Post
    they are a gorgeous colour but so far the green ones seem to have shown a larger range of colours....
    I think it's the opposite. At least, for my frogs it is. They both can be brown, they both get to that nice very pretty jade green, and they both (though Baudrillard not so much) get the blue.

Amphibians

Ok yes, this is basically what I thought. Maybe that guy misunderstood me. The next reptile expo is coming very soon and I plan on getting one. Thanks!

Thread Information