Thread: MY FROGGIES HAD BABIES!!!! Whats next?

heddahgir

Talking MY FROGGIES HAD BABIES!!!! Whats next?

I am so excited! I have been trying to get my babies to breed, and it was looking pretty promising. Then yesterday I got a few more froggies. After a night of croaking (wasn't used to that), I woke up with eggs in my tank!!!! You don't even know how excited I was. I yelled to my boyfriend and was dancing and what not. I just love froggies. Okay, so I am pretty certain that I should take them out of the tank now yes? I've been planning on that and I have a separate tank ready,and I know basics, but in all this excitement.........I kinda just forgot everything haha! So.............help me out ya'll?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

heddahgir

Default Re: MY FROGGIES HAD BABIES!!!! Whats next?

how can no one being answering me back when it is important?

Miss Roddam

Well first off (don't want to sound like a know-it-all) What species are your frogs? And if you know the species post this topic in their forum section.
    But I would take out the frogspawn and put in a large water holding spare tank or a storage box with no lid or poke air holes in i think 5 gallon is what most people use.
    When they start to turn into tadpoles leave them for three days because they wont eat once they are tadpoles this is because they eat the yolk around them and are digesting it. Most people say that their tads go mad for boiled lettuce and fish flakes. Make sure that there is a brick or some sort of "perch" for them to rest on and climb on when growing legs or they will die. I think some people put in oxeygenating plants in the water and never EVER use tap water! It will kill them straight away. I can't remember what type of water people use but i use Rain water for my Froglet and she's fine. Hopefully some one with better knoledge than me can help you. Good luck!
    Last edited by Kurt; May 13th, 2012 at 01:43 AM.

Kurt

Yes, we need to know the species of your frogs before we can proceed to help you.

heddahgir

baja california frogs. I took the eggs out and put them in an adequate thing but they haven't hatched yet ): Then two night after the laid eggs again and i left them where they were to see what would be best. I just dont know!

heddahgir

thanks for all the help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The eggs should be above a water pond. Use dechlorinated water, just as you would for your adults.

I would recommend using a filter for the pond, but you'll need to cover the water intake tube with fine netting. I use fiberglass screen. I used a zip-tie to hold it on and clipped off the extra zip-tie.

You can place rocks in the bottom or keep it plain. You'll eventually need a small ramp of some sort for them to crawl up. I scoop mine out when they have 3 legs so they don't drown in the deep water. Basically set the tank up like a fish tank. If you've never had fish let me know, bc you'll need to do water changes at least once a week. The water will cycle, which is what happens when a bacteria burst occurs, usually in about 2 weeks. Let me know and I'll guide you through it. A filter will help move and aerate the water so they can breathe through it.

Next you'll need food for them. Tadpoles usually feed on green algae in the wild. Froglets will feed on small insects. You can get tadpole bites (which look like fishfood pellets), can use fishfood flakes, dried seaweed sheets (these worked best for me), and boiled romaine lettuce (not the usual iceberg lettuce). Be sure to not use the romaine with the cabbage in it. It will kill them. My friend learned the hard way. I liked the seaweed because it didn't cloud up the water like the fishfood. I feed mine every other day because they feed like cows! Lol .

So, set the eggs on a leaf or small shelve. When they hatch they will wiggle and should fall into the water. I don't know how long this part takes. I have only raised from tadpoles. You might be able to set the eggs in the water now, but I would ask someone first, because I do not know.

You should research the time frames for each morphing step for that species. The tads will also grow and morph at varying rates, so start to prepare their froglet tank once you have tads. This tank should consist of a shallow water bowl, a paper towel substrate and a nylon stocking lid (to keep small feeder insects in). Once they have 3 legs you can move them to the water bowl. They will not eat while absorbing their tail which takes a couple to a few days depending on their species. My oads take about 3 to 4 days. I did put a small piece of seaweed in, but they rarely touch it at this phase. I mist twice a day.

Depending on the size of your froglets, you can feed them fruit flies and springtails. Some of the sponsored sites here at the top of the ff home page here, sell them. I use joshsfrogs.com. I dust their bugs with calcium/vita D3 amphibian powder every 2 days or so.

My toads are too small to eat these so I feed wild gnats and aphids, but mine are wild toads. I would not recommend that for captive bred frogs, as they could pick up parasites. I will be setting mine free when they are ready. You can peek on my thread Raising Tadpoles.

So, get your tadpole tank set up and ready as soon as possible.

They will be hatching before you know it .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information