Thread: Need help about what sickness my WTF has..

tmalla1

Unhappy Need help about what sickness my WTF has..

Hey guys, been awhile since ive posted here. Have had two very healthy Whites since January. About two weeks ago, my older one changed moods. Hes got no energy, isnt jumping, and spending most of his time on the ground. Hes been eating small superworms coated in calcium but havent seen him eat crickets. My temps and humidity levels are normal, corresponding with numbers i see in other threads.

Well, tonight i tried to move him into a seperate inclosure with just paper towels to observe him better and he seemed to have a seizure in front of my eyes . after a few minutes, he 'recovered' and looked normal, although kept gagging. When he opened his mouth, it looked like there was a white bump on the front inside of his mouth, right behind his bottom lip.

He also has stayed brown, when he used to change from green to blue to brown. I just wanna know whats wrong

TIA and btw hes about 6 months old.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need help about what sickness my WTF has..

Hello,
    I do not have Whites. I will try to help you get things going.
    I do have some questions, comments and a suggestion though. I hope a whites owner will chime in !

questions: How much ventilation is the enclosure getting? (C02 can build up if the tank is all closed up)
    How often does he get calcium ? ( could be a neurological problem ? )
    When is the last time you found poop ? And what did it look like.

When you went to move him - he may have acted that way because he was so scared- could have been defense mechanism? I don't know if Whites would react this way?

I'm not so sure superworms are the best feeder for him? So, hopefully others can help you w/ this?
    The lethargy could be a sign of an illness/parasites?

suggestion: I would take him to/ or speak to a vet

email Dr Frye , send him photos ! It is a very easy process !

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

I would cut / paste/ and answer all of the questions in this thread.
    It will help you , the frog, the vet, and FF members ------moving forward.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...enclosure.html

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

tmalla1

Thanks for your response!

How much ventilation is the enclosure getting? My enclosure has a screen top with a light on it.

How often does he get calcium ? I dust his crickets off with herbtivite twice a week, or i used to before he stopped eating them. Thats when i noticed he was only eating the worms and so i dusted the worms off too.
    When is the last time you found poop ? I havent found poop lately.

When you went to move him - he may have acted that way because he was so scared- could have been defense mechanism? I think when i went to get him, he had a heart attack or something and started seizing. His arms scrunched to his body and his legs went stiff and he started twitching, had bubbles coming from his mouth, and was weirdly croaking. After about a minute of this, he came back to and was walking around. This is when i noticed him seemingly gagging, and at the front of his mouth, he had a bump which i had never noticed before? Ive been observing him all night (as im studying for finals) and over the past two hours, he has green dots on his back ill post pics from my phone in a second.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by tmalla1; May 9th, 2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added pictures...

Nationality
    [United States]

I have a few whites but I have never encountered a issue where I have had a seizure. I did see something that concerns me is you said that you dust with herptivite and thats it. Herptivite is a multi-vitamin, it has no calcium. You need calcium, I think its a lack of calcium causing the seizures; but I cannot say for sure. If they have not had Calcium since January this is not good at all! This is the biggest issue I can see from the info provided.
    Last edited by helm96; May 9th, 2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: mispelled

tmalla1

For real?! I feel so stupid! I read in a ton of places that herptivite had everything I needed to give them I feel terrible..the little guy just isnt doing good..

Nationality
    [United States]

You will need to set a schedule for dusting. Dust with calcium one night and vitamins once to twice a week. I would get calcium right away and focus on that for awhile till they appear to be getting better. Start getting the Calcium in to their diet at tonights feeding. I am not sure how bad off your little guy is at this point. If it starts to look too bad I would contact a vet and see what they can help with.

another note, personally I would also switch from superworms to Wax Worms. When you get into some of the bigger super worms they can actually bite the inner lining of the frogs tummy after they eat them.
    Last edited by helm96; May 9th, 2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: sentance structure

tmalla1

Thanks for all the help guys. Little guy didnt make it through the day When he passed, he had bright, neon green marks along his back. I guess this was some sort of bacterial infection from what ive read on here? It was painful to come home right as he was passing too and having to watch it and realize i couldnt do anything...

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

So sorry for your loss.

If you have other frogs I would give them calcium supplements daily for about two weeks to get some back into their system. This is what was prescribed to me when I had a dart frog go through seizures. Then provide three time a week.

Again, so sorry

Nationality
    [United States]

So, so sorry to her about your frog.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Jscott

So sorry about your loss. I do have a question though, I also use herptivite and according to the label it does contain calcium. So when everyone is saying to dust with calcium as well, are they saying that herptivite does not contain enough calcium? My vet wanted me to check that it had a 2:1 ratio for calcium to phosphorus and it does. I just wanted to make my little guys are getting the right mix. Thanks.

tmalla1

Thank you to everybody, I appreciate all the responses. My other little guy is doing great, no changes in mood or anything, but i did get actual calcium powder now, so ill be mixing it in from now on. Have him in a separate container while i clean the main cage in case it was indeed a bacterial infection.

InfinitysDaughter

Not long ago there was a thread talking about the same symptoms in there frog. I think most of the posters called it the "neon green spots of doom". Silly but very applicable. From what I gathered from the thread, once you see these spots, which the pics you showed I'm about 99% sure your poor little one had it, there is nothing that can be done. Its an infection or a bacteria that attacks several systems and by the time you see the spots, its way too late. I dont think it has anything to do with calcium supplements or vitamins or lack there of.

Definitely clean the tank. Use a 10% bleach water solution to clean everything. If you have real plants and wood, replace it. You cant clean the plants with the bleach cuse it will kill them thus they could retain the bacteria that caused the illness and wood can soak up the bleach water and slowly release it over time, poisoning your frog. Some say if you rinse it enough that wood will be ok but when it comes to bleach, I wouldn't risk it. That is, ultimately, up to you. Stone and anything fake can be sanitized in the bleach solution.

After that, rinse everything with declorinated water, not spring water or the like (the declorinator will neutralize bleach residue). Put everything back together and keep a close eye on your remaining frog. Do poop checks daily. Sift threw the substrate until you find it or are sure its not there. If the water bowl is caked in what looks like substrate its a safe bet he/she is pooping there so if the water is disgusting and you cant find poop dont freak. HOWEVER, if you dont see poop for several days in a row and the water is relatively clean, call a herp vet and explain what happened to the first frog. If its caught early enough then I think there is a treatment. Do not wait because if you wait till you see the spots, you are way too late.

So sorry for your loss! Poor thing definitely calcium is a must. A very smart vet told me that crickets are made of phosphorus, which blocks calcium obsorbtion, therefore you need non phosphorus calcium. One I have been using for years T-Rex 2:0 Calcium - No Phosphorus - Free Shipping. Best stuff on earth. I only give my frog crickets, I don't bother with the other stuff and he's been around a very long time! Good luck with your baby!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Thread Information