Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Pacman Frog soon :)

hotnickles96

Default Getting a Pacman Frog soon :)

Hello everyone!
    Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Josh and have been doing research on the pacman frog. I had a left over 10 gallon tank that I've been itching to use. Just couldn't figure out what to do with it, until I found out about the pacman frog. Planning on getting everything set up within the next two weeks or so.

Like I said before I already have the 10 gallon tank. Just need a lid for it. Debating on what type of lid I should get.
    Lots of people seem to be using that coconut fiber which is recommended on the care sheet so I will be getting some of that too.
    I already have an extra hide log that I don't use for my leopard gecko and I will need a soaking dish.
    Does anyone on here use the Zoomed Natural Cork Tile for a background? I haven't seen any pictures on here of people using them. Just curious.

Not sure If I will need a UTH or a reptifogger yet. Going to get it all setup first and see what kind of temps and humidity I get.

On the de-chlorinated water topic. Can I use the same product I use with my fish tank? I use PRIME with my fish and it works really well.

Thanks to anyone that responds!
    Have a good one!
    Josh.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Getting a Pacman Frog soon :)

Quote Originally Posted by hotnickles96 View Post
    Hello everyone!
    Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Josh and have been doing research on the pacman frog. I had a left over 10 gallon tank that I've been itching to use. Just couldn't figure out what to do with it, until I found out about the pacman frog. Planning on getting everything set up within the next two weeks or so.

Like I said before I already have the 10 gallon tank. Just need a lid for it. Debating on what type of lid I should get.
    Lots of people seem to be using that coconut fiber which is recommended on the care sheet so I will be getting some of that too.
    I already have an extra hide log that I don't use for my leopard gecko and I will need a soaking dish.
    Does anyone on here use the Zoomed Natural Cork Tile for a background? I haven't seen any pictures on here of people using them. Just curious.

Not sure If I will need a UTH or a reptifogger yet. Going to get it all setup first and see what kind of temps and humidity I get.

On the de-chlorinated water topic. Can I use the same product I use with my fish tank? I use PRIME with my fish and it works really well.

Have a good one!
    Josh.
    Not a lot of people use the cork board, but it can be used as long as you secure it to the tank some how so it doesn't fall. Prime is an excellent de-chlorinating agent.

ramp

Have a good one!
    Josh.
    Gere"s a Link to 1 of my terrariums, where I used the Zoomed Cork.

http://www.frogforum.net/members/ram...terrarium.html

Please make sure you glue it with aqarium silicone to the glass. Seal the sides too so no feeder insect can burrow into thesoft cork backside. Let set, preferably under some presure of a heavy item, for appr. 24 hours, then rins so the vinigar smel can evaporate.
    Have fun

hotnickles96

Thank you both for great advice! I will def do that with the cork background. Planning on ordering a few things soon and then get to start the search for my pacman!

ramp

Perhaps you have to check this one out for a Pac.

MikesFrogs

Happy hunt

hotnickles96

Thanks! I did check out his website and sent him an email.

On another note. Not sure if anyone has seen this video but not really one of the things I thought a Pacman frog would eat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THN1O...eature=related

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks! I did check out his website and sent him an email.

On another note. Not sure if anyone has seen this video but not really one of the things I thought a Pacman frog would eat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THN1O...eature=related
    Never follow what you see on YouTube. that was not a good item to feed that frog. it was much too large and the chitin on that crayfish more than likely is going to cause that poor frog to become impacted. Small shrimp yes. A crayfish NO! Don't use YouTube for any kind of reference to what you should be feeding your frogs.

ramp

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Never follow what you see on YouTube. that was not a good item to feed that frog. it was much too large and the chitin on that crayfish more than likely is going to cause that poor frog to become impacted. Small shrimp yes. A crayfish NO! Don't use YouTube for any kind of reference to what you should be feeding your frogs.
    Completely agree with Grif !!!
    My Pac's get 1 feeder shrimp once in a while as a treat, that's it. No crayfish

10. This member thanks ramp for this post:

hotnickles96

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Everyone freaks out when people use mealworms or something with some kind of hard exoskeleton... never mind a crayfish. Just thought it was pretty crazy to watch that go down.

hotnickles96

Received my pacman supply shipment in today

Just got done applying the cork background to my 10 gallon. Did it with the aquarium safe silicone. Letting it set for the 24 hours and then setting up the rest tomorrow night.

I have about 6 bricks of eco earth. How much usually fills a 10 gallon sufficient enough to burrow in?
    Also received the hygrometer and thermometer, vitamin supplements for dusting, a little plant, corner bowl, that may be a little to large and a little to deep.. will have to figure out something with that... and debating whether or not to include a half log hide that I have. I don't want to cramp his space.

I paid for my albino pacman already and I'm picking him up friday evening!

ramp

If you can let the silicone dry out for 48 hours, then rins well with just water, including your tank.
    I think you've got the small bricks (appr. 10 x 10 cm) thesegive appr. 1/2 a gallon of substrate when moistend. I always use hot boiled water to moisten the coco bricks. I find they pulverize easyer that way and let them set for a few hours. You can prepare them now if you want in a clean bucket, that hasn(t been used with any detergents or other chemicals.

Have fun.

hotnickles96

Thanks Ramp.

Picked up my Pacman frog this evening after work. Lively little thing! Seems like he is good in his tank.
    Here are some pics.

ramp

Looks good. congratuations andenjoy your beauty for a long time.

Nationality
    [United States]

Very nice Albino. Be sure that the frog is in an area with low traffic that gets enough light for a day night cycle. If your temps don't quite reach 80° in the tank slap a UTH(Under Tank Heater) on the side that is appropriately sized for your frogs tank. You can also use a heat lamp that has a dimmer switch to accurately control the amount if heat produced by the bulb. Now with Albino Pac if you use a heat lamp you have to use Infrared bulbs or Moonlight Blue no others due to daytime basking lights damaging the frogs eyes and skin.

He/she looks very healthy. Take good care of him/her

hotnickles96

Thank you GrifTheGreat.

My temp has been staying around 75 degrees. While I was researching I read that pacman frogs burrow for protection and to cool down. Is the 80 degrees an absolute? The exotic pet store owner told me since we live in FL that the pacman would be good at room temp. Nothing lower than 72 degrees though. The owner has lots of pacman frogs all set up the same way and they seem to be very healthy. Just questioning, don't mean to be rude because I know everyone on this particular forum does the 80 degrees right on the dot.

Second question is, if I did need to go ahead and get another heat source to reach the 80 degrees would putting a UTH on the back be ok? I ask this because I have the cork background secured with the aquarium safe silicone. Don't know if that would be ok or not? I know I can always just slap it on one side but, I would prefer the back.

Third, If I went the route of heat lamp do the infrared bulbs and moonlight glo bulb come in tube fixtures? Is the moonlight only used at night?

Sorry for all the questions but, I like to do things the best way I know how. Really do want to give my little buddy the best home environment as possible.

Btw, When I got him home I let him sit for a couple hours and tried to feed him... he ate 5 crickets! It was awesome. He hasn't burrowed yet though. Maybe that has something to do with the temp?

Thanks again!
    Josh.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you GrifTheGreat.

My temp has been staying around 75 degrees. While I was researching I read that pacman frogs burrow for protection and to cool down. Is the 80 degrees an absolute? The exotic pet store owner told me since we live in FL that the pacman would be good at room temp. Nothing lower than 72 degrees though. The owner has lots of pacman frogs all set up the same way and they seem to be very healthy. Just questioning, don't mean to be rude because I know everyone on this particular forum does the 80 degrees right on the dot.

Second question is, if I did need to go ahead and get another heat source to reach the 80 degrees would putting a UTH on the back be ok? I ask this because I have the cork background secured with the aquarium safe silicone. Don't know if that would be ok or not? I know I can always just slap it on one side but, I would prefer the back.

Third, If I went the route of heat lamp do the infrared bulbs and moonlight glo bulb come in tube fixtures? Is the moonlight only used at night?

Sorry for all the questions but, I like to do things the best way I know how. Really do want to give my little buddy the best home environment as possible.

Btw, When I got him home I let him sit for a couple hours and tried to feed him... he ate 5 crickets! It was awesome. He hasn't burrowed yet though. Maybe that has something to do with the temp?

Thanks again!
    Josh.
    80° Is the ideal temp for Pacman frogs. these are tropical frogs and the temp in rainforests very seldom stay in the 70s. It is hot and sticky where they come from. Probably a lot like your summers in Florida. If you were to put the UTH on the back the heat won't penetrate the cork board. By placing it on the side the heat only has go penetrate the glass and will add a better gradient for him.

There are night time fluorescent bulbs, but a lot of them do not let off a lot of heat and are very bright. You can buy an incandescent heat lamp that has a dimmer switch so you can dim the light down and lower the amount of heat produced by the bulbs. Incandescent are best for heat. Just don't go lower than 25 watts and no higher than 50 watts. Yes the moonlight bulb is only for night. You can use the infrared bulb for either day or night just as long as the room the frog is in is bright enough so that he knows its day. They are nocturnal and are active at night so you should also feed him at night. You need a 12 hour day/night cycle like 7:00 am to 7:00 pm or 8:00am to 8:00 pm. Whichever works best for your schedule.

If he is nog burrow one of 2 things could be wrong. Did you prepare the Coco fiber with de-chlorinated water? The other is that you may have made his bedding too wet. Rule of thumb is moist or heavily damp not mud. If the soil is too wet they will not burrow.

Eating is a good sign take good care of him and keep us posted.

hotnickles96

Thank you!

I prepared the eco- earth with 4 quarts (per directions) of de-chlorinated water and let sit for a couple hours. It def was not muddy either. I could barely squeeze any water out of it if I tried.

This may be to much to ask but, are there any examples of a good heat light setup? Brand names and types that work best for pacman frogs?....
    I was looking at a something like this...

Reptile Terrarium Lighting: Zoo Med Laboratories Naturalistic Terrarium Hood at Drs. Foster & Smith
    Would also need to know what kind of bulbs are best

or this has a built in dimmer but doesn't look as good. Also concerned about placing it on my glass lid.
    Fluker Labs Clamp Lamps With Dimmer
    Thanks so much. Sorry if I'm asking to many questions. NOOB.

Josh.

hotnickles96

I have the urge to go to the pet store to pick up the needed supplies. It's bugging me that its not perfect lol... Anyone with suggestions on what to buy? (on the above question)

Nationality
    [United States]

I have the urge to go to the pet store to pick up the needed supplies. It's bugging me that its not perfect lol... Anyone with suggestions on what to buy? (on the above question)
    The Fluker's Clamp lamp with dimmer are what I use. You can even buy a lamp stand made for this type of lamp. It is the best to use.

hotnickles96

Thanks You have been a great help!

I'm going to purchase the 5.5 inch flukers lamp with the dimmer locally and I will be ordering the stand and bulb from petmountain.com

Lamp Stand =

Zoo Med Reptile Lamp Stand - Small Reptile Lighting Accessories

Bulb =

Exo-Terra Sun-Glo Tight Beam Basking Bulbs Reptile Incandescent Bulbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information