Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adult Caatingas

IvoryReptiles

Default Re: Adult Caatingas

We do keep our breeders in tubs on a cushion of filtration foam. We used to keep them on paper towels part of the year too. None of our breeders have any issues. I think alot of the problems come from a lack of knowledge or experience with the supplements. Not enough or too much are both detrimental and can cause many of these issues. We have found that once the tadpoles emerge and absorb the tails completely that a variety of food items is best. We do what we can to try to keep them as healthy as possible. It matters to us that the animals we provide for purchase are of the best quality we can provide.

We don't bad mouth any other breeders because we don't know what they do. The details are usually kept hush, hush.
    What I can say is that we have purchased frogs from Big name Breeders and have been sorely disappointed in the health of the animals. We had hoped to breed some of them, but after doing our best to get them up to par, we have decided to continue breeding our own stock exclusively. The colors we get out of our own animals is amazing and we are very happy with them and know exactly what their husbandry has been throughout their lives and can guarantee that much to our customers.

It takes time to figure out and we all learn as we go. It just takes making the effort.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

"What I can say is that we have purchased frogs from Big name Breeders and have been sorely disappointed in the health of the animals"

Its almost to the point now where you don't want to buy anyones adult animals because you don't know whats wrong with them. I am raising up 150 frogs from baby size to adults to use as my breeders. I can't trust those selling adults because 9/10 times something is wrong with them.

Balzora

That's depressing....they are beautiful frogs even though. Hopefully with your care you can improve their health. I certainly would go the way you have by just raising up my breeders. Frog breeders really need to step up their game. We need more people like Ivory and Mike to breed quality and well cared for pacs. I certainly don't want to buy from people who can't keep their adults in good condition.

Nationality
    [United States]

one reptiledealer told me to watch out when people selling adults pacs because some may be very old i think the company is tails n more
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I just dont buy them anymore. I usually only sell baby to juvie sizes also. Unless its a male that I kept back his daughters and dont need dad anylonger

Nationality
    [United States]

i never bought any but i want to buy some but they are expensive
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

IvoryReptiles

We got a pair of Blue frogs that were just approaching juvie age & size................They are just approaching ayear of age and are deformed in many ways. We had hoped that with care & pampering, they could possibly outgrow the issues. Only one of them is healthy enough to breed. The other is severely deformed. It has scoliosis that seems to get worse as it ages. A major under bite (fangs always exposed). And has the semi-paralyzed front arms & feet.....and of course the lean.
    When you pay $300 for a frog, you expect it to be healthy. You at least expect the seller to respond to any inquiries. I gave up long ago trying to get a respons, so We just deal with it.

What sucks is we will probably have to euthanize the one frog.....after a year of caring for it, it's not easy.

As for selling adults.......we keep records of when eggs were laid and can tell you the age of every one of our animals except for those purchased from other sources (not many of those). We don't power breed our frogs and make sure that if & when sold, they are as healthy as possible. We plan for that to be one of our points of sale for our little business. It's also a matter of Pride for us.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The samurai lines do have the weird front legs. Some will be further out to the side than others. They do well, just looks weird.

I wouldnt breed any of the same color samurais to themselves. Too many issues. Best thing to do is to outcross them with normal cranwelli lines.

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    We got a pair of Blue frogs that were just approaching juvie age & size................They are just approaching ayear of age and are deformed in many ways. We had hoped that with care & pampering, they could possibly outgrow the issues. Only one of them is healthy enough to breed. The other is severely deformed. It has scoliosis that seems to get worse as it ages. A major under bite (fangs always exposed). And has the semi-paralyzed front arms & feet.....and of course the lean.
    When you pay $300 for a frog, you expect it to be healthy. You at least expect the seller to respond to any inquiries. I gave up long ago trying to get a respons, so We just deal with it.

What sucks is we will probably have to euthanize the one frog.....after a year of caring for it, it's not easy.

As for selling adults.......we keep records of when eggs were laid and can tell you the age of every one of our animals except for those purchased from other sources (not many of those). We don't power breed our frogs and make sure that if & when sold, they are as healthy as possible. We plan for that to be one of our points of sale for our little business. It's also a matter of Pride for us.

Rambo

Mines has the same prolem!! Any tips on how to fix it?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Get them on a substrate like coco or foam. That will help some foot and leg problems. When they are raised in water the legs sprawl out.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information