Thread: habacrete..anyone use this ?

kevinp

Default habacrete..anyone use this ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ndame88

Default Re: habacrete..anyone use this ?

I would like to know as well, just bought two bags of mortar today from Lowes, $23 and plan to coat with Shields which will cost me another $70-$85 and a lot of sanding to make it not look glossy when its finished. If this does the trick I would be interested.

I had looked into habacrete a few years ago and the only real advantage over cement or mortar I could see was if you were in a rush.

I just use quikrete cement, it takes a few weeks of curing time but is cheaper and available at most hardware stores.

kevinp

Quote Originally Posted by ndame88 View Post
    I would like to know as well, just bought two bags of mortar today from Lowes, $23 and plan to coat with Shields which will cost me another $70-$85 and a lot of sanding to make it not look glossy when its finished. If this does the trick I would be interested.
    dry-lok natural is only $20/gal and leaves the grout dry looking..non-shiney like alot of products

kevinp

if sealed well then no need to wait , even for regular mortar. but an imperfect sealing could allow the concrete/grout to leach into water. since they say no curing and non-toxic i'm thinking it's a type of sanded acrylic polymer. thanks forr your input.

ndame88

Thanks Kevinp, that sounds like a much better way to go, just read the info on it, my only question is it says its not waterproof? Will it hold up in a humid wet enclosure with misters?

kevinp

i didn't see where it said it wasn't waterproof. i'm not even sure it's a legit company anymore. all the info about it on other forums is pretty old, and it seems the guy wasn't good at keeping up his business. i was hoping sommeone here had more recent info. i just finished re-doing my crab tank and used styrofoam covered with sanded grout. i sealed it with dry-lok natural. then siliconed the edges where the mortar met the glass.

J Teezy

i only know of two people who have used it. One being Marty of Mistking which was years ago when he used it and the other was a guy from vivarium forums who had a horrible time getting his order

Thread Information