Thread: Toads barking at night

BeansFBT

Question Toads barking at night

I have realised that at least two out of my three FBTs are male due to their barking. This isn't a problem except that they like to do it until 3am! I was reading on the internet a bit and saw that perhaps turning the lights on earlier in the day and turning them off earlier at night could make them calm down on the barking a bit later in the day. Would this work? Are there any other methods that might help with this?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

s6t6nic6l

Default Re: Toads barking at night

Quote Originally Posted by BeansFBT View Post
    I have realised that at least two out of my three FBTs are male due to their barking. This isn't a problem except that they like to do it until 3am! I was reading on the internet a bit and saw that perhaps turning the lights on earlier in the day and turning them off earlier at night could make them calm down on the barking a bit later in the day. Would this work? Are there any other methods that might help with this?

Thanks!
    why would anybody undertake such methods to quell anything the toads would do as a natural way to behave. it's the sort of advice that will do more harm to the welfare of the toads you now have the responsibility of. these toad owners who give out such harmful drivel should not even be "caring for" any toads in their keep.

the toads will, and should, "bark" anytime they feel, be it day or night.

BeansFBT

Thank you for your comment. I personally find this to be no different than changing the light cycle and lowering the temperature to get the toads into mating "season," which is common practice from what I have read. I would simply be changing the time that they think is "daytime" to an earlier time in the actual day. The question was if changing the light cycle to earlier in the day would lessen their noises at night, not if I could stop them from making noise all together.

Please do feel free to inform me on exactly how this would be harmful to my toads and I will gladly refrain from doing it. The toads' health and comfort is my first concern, but my ability to sleep comes in a close second.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Perhaps you can move them to a different part of the house. My male barked non stop for about a week while the female was laying her eggs. usually he barks softly, but not that week. I am glad that he has stopped barking so loudly! I have them set up in my formal livingroom and I can't hear them from my bedroom, but that night I slept on the couch in the same room and I put my earphones in and listened to music to fall asleep. I don't know if the light thing would make any difference. Maybe find someone that would take your males and just have females. They make no noise.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

In my experience, they do not call nearly as much in a terrestial setup (water bowl) as they do in a more aquatic setup. I have had them both ways and I personally think they like the more aquatic setup. How many inches of water do you have? Perhaps lowing the depth would help. With mine it seems that the more water depth the more they call because they think it's breeding season.

BeansFBT

Unfortunately moving the tank is not an option as I live in a basement suite with a very unusual configuration and there are no other suitable place to put it. I don't really feel like getting rid of my males either. I actually lucked out and found an electronic timer at the thrift store near my work for $2 so I figured I'd get it and give it a shot. At the very least it'll turn the light on before I even get up to go to work, which I think will give them a more natural daytime light period.

As far as water level goes... I actually just finished reconfiguring my tank to have MORE water. :P Before it was a fairly large landmass and a fairly deep but small area of water, perhaps 2/3 land/water ratio. I just changed it to the left side and rear have land and the front portion is open leading to a "shore" area to the right and up to the land at the back. I definitely miss all the green from before, but I think the toads will be much happier with this set up.

They were more or less silent last night, we'll see if this keeps up! Thanks for the input!

BeansFBT

I figured I'd post a picture of my new set up while I was at it. It's not the greatest picture ever, but it gives an idea. It's not actually that yellow and not as crazy bright as it looks... Damn cameras!

Name:  Toads 003.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  82.8 KB

I don't see any harm at all in changing their daytime cycle. Do it gradually if possible though and let us know if it works!

s6t6nic6l

Thank you for your comment. I personally find this to be no different than changing the light cycle and lowering the temperature to get the toads into mating "season," which is common practice from what I have read. I would simply be changing the time that they think is "daytime" to an earlier time in the actual day. The question was if changing the light cycle to earlier in the day would lessen their noises at night, not if I could stop them from making noise all together.

Please do feel free to inform me on exactly how this would be harmful to my toads and I will gladly refrain from doing it. The toads' health and comfort is my first concern, but my ability to sleep comes in a close second.
    this is why you have to do your own scientific based research into the actual creature you own to learn about the environment it lives in and the behaviour patterns rather than the mostly mis-informed, harm based methods "experts" will give out on forums and such due to the "they've done that so i'll do that" mentality pattern that goes on even though any long term health issues haven't been or don't get raised from the advice given.
    again, why change a natural light/day pattern that the toad would thrive in?
    lower the temperature !!! why should the enclosure have been to warm in the first place? common practice by who, the experts no doubt.

NATURAL = good, unnatural = not good in all aspects of life. just look and read the threads on here about toad issues raised and think if any are following the "experts" on their setups. like most who go out and buy on impulse don't even know anything about their husbandry needs. why did you not know they would be "barking" and that they could upset your beauty sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by firebellygirl View Post
    In my experience, they do not call nearly as much in a terrestial setup (water bowl) as they do in a more aquatic setup. I have had them both ways and I personally think they like the more aquatic setup. How many inches of water do you have? Perhaps lowing the depth would help. With mine it seems that the more water depth the more they call because they think it's breeding season.
    they are found to be more land based rather in any water in the wild. the choice they are given in the 50/50ish natural layout i provide them, i too find them always clambering about terra firma. due to the fact that most setups are aquatic based is that they are the water, maybe, looking for land to utilise.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    I don't see any harm at all in changing their daytime cycle. Do it gradually if possible though and let us know if it works!
    great advice, thanks.

I'm guessing that's sarcasm? I noticed you ignored the question of what harm shifting the daylight cycle a few hours could have. Can the toads tell that the lights are on from 6am-6pm instead of 8am-8pm? If the artificial lights are the main illumination they couldn't tell the difference between day cycles of 6am-6pm and 6pm-6am, none of my frogs can tell time.

BeansFBT

Well, you clearly have a bad attitude. I don't think you understand the idea of what a forum is for. It's a place for amateurs to come and ask questions of people who are more experienced than them and share advice with others who are less experienced, not a place for ninnies like you to come insult their intelligence and provide unsubstantiated claims on the effects of lighting, feeding, or anything for that matter.

"this is why you have to do your own scientific based research into the actual creature you own to learn about the environment it lives in and the behaviour patterns"
    "why did you not know they would be "barking" and that they could upset your beauty sleep"

- I did research the toads before I got them. They are primarily diurnal, however they are active at all times of the day. I also found that they make noise during the day and night, but that they like to make more noise during dusk/sundown, hence why I was wondering if I could change the light cycle to make this happen earlier in the day.

"lower the temperature !!! why should the enclosure have been to warm in the first place?"

- My temperature is fine, I was using that as an example. Work on your reading comprehension.

"NATURAL = good, unnatural = not good in all aspects of life"

- If that's so then you should probably fly your toads back to Asia or Europe and have them released in the rice paddies or lakes that are their natural habitat instead of keeping them in a man made enclosure.

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from commenting on my posts/threads from now on, unless you have some fact-based information to provide. Thanks.

ladydeath

my 4 fbt's constantly cherp and bark between them selves they have done this since i got them and thort it was normal, their isnt a set time they do it more or less in the day or nite i think some just chatter more than others.

s6t6nic6l

Well, you clearly have a bad attitude. I don't think you understand the idea of what a forum is for. It's a place for amateurs to come and ask questions of people who are more experienced than them and share advice with others who are less experienced, not a place for ninnies like you to come insult their intelligence and provide unsubstantiated claims on the effects of lighting, feeding, or anything for that matter.

"this is why you have to do your own scientific based research into the actual creature you own to learn about the environment it lives in and the behaviour patterns"
    "why did you not know they would be "barking" and that they could upset your beauty sleep"

- I did research the toads before I got them. They are primarily diurnal, however they are active at all times of the day. I also found that they make noise during the day and night, but that they like to make more noise during dusk/sundown, hence why I was wondering if I could change the light cycle to make this happen earlier in the day.

"lower the temperature !!! why should the enclosure have been to warm in the first place?"

- My temperature is fine, I was using that as an example. Work on your reading comprehension.

"NATURAL = good, unnatural = not good in all aspects of life"

- If that's so then you should probably fly your toads back to Asia or Europe and have them released in the rice paddies or lakes that are their natural habitat instead of keeping them in a man made enclosure.

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from commenting on my posts/threads from now on, unless you have some fact-based information to provide. Thanks.
    sorry for the reply here. the answer was a statement in general and not on your setup. the reference to the beauty sleep poser was due to the fact that is why the thread was started, no. it's not facts that you want from me, it's an excuse for what you endeavour. i will most definitely refrain from asking anyone to look after their toads in the best possible way here due to the fact that all i ever see and read is how the abodes will suit the owners lifestyle instead of what the needs of the critters ever are. attitude........all i know is people don't like being told they are not doing something right or that they ain't got a clue about the animal in their, ahem, care and especially anything about the sensory organs of any pet in question when placed in certain enclosures(another arguementive issue). maybe i should start taking advice from "those in the know" here so that i would be able to start a thread asking why have i a sick toad .

(ambivalent) nic

Thread Information