Thread: Help advice, recommendations.

Frogsong

Default Help advice, recommendations.

So now that I've looked around the forum I'm getting really excited about getting some pet frogs.

I'm looking at the Whites frogs right now, and I'm reading about them and it says they are good, easy to care for, starter frogs. And they are adorable!

My question is, if I get a couple of these, will I, at a later time, be able to keep any other types of frogs in the same enclosure with them? I'm really loving the Red-Eyed tree frogs and some others, but for the price, I think I would rather start out with something less expensive and get some experience with keeping them before I invest in the more expensive frogs.

And while I'm at it, do any of you have any of the White's for sale before I buy from Kingsnake.com?

Thanks,

Deb

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Help advice, recommendations.

An amphibain enclosure should be a singular species enclosure. Mixing amphibian species is a bad idea, becauce most have toxic secretions and all have porus skin, so they would be poisoning each other. There other reasons as well, but this one should be enough to reconsider mixing species.
    Also, don't mix sizes. Big frogs will eat little frogs!

Frogsong

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    An amphibain enclosure should be a singular species enclosure. Mixing amphibian species is a bad idea, becauce most have toxic secretions and all have porus skin, so they would be poisoning each other. There other reasons as well, but this one should be enough to reconsider mixing species.
    Also, don't mix sizes. Big frogs will eat little frogs!
    Thank you Kurt. That definitely answers my question.

At the moment I have a 55 gallon tank I'm thinking of putting them in. I have it set up as a reptile hospital, more or less, at the moment. I live in the foothills and on occasion I have to pry baby kingsnakes, garden snakes, lizards and skinks out my cats mouth, and I use the tank to make sure they are okay before I release them.

So if I wanted to have 2 different types of frogs, maybe I'll do what one person suggested in another thread and divide it later. But for now, I'm thinking I'll start with a couple of the Whites Frogs.
    I've been looking at pictures of them and they are so adorable I'm getting teary eyed. LOL... Stupid, I know.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsong View Post
    Thank you Kurt. That definitely answers my question.

At the moment I have a 55 gallon tank I'm thinking of putting them in. I have it set up as a reptile hospital, more or less, at the moment. I live in the foothills and on occasion I have to pry baby kingsnakes, garden snakes, lizards and skinks out my cats mouth, and I use the tank to make sure they are okay before I release them.
    Keep the cat indoors and you won't have to nurse the native herpefauna back to health.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Haha I would be worried about the cat getting a hold of something dangerous. Everyone knows curiosity killed the cat.

Frogsong

The cat is a stray that we feed. I have my own cats, 3 of them, in the house and they're never allowed outside because of the bobcats, coyotes and mountain lions, not to mention the neighboring dogs that people allow to run loose just because they live in the country and think it's okay.

Most of the cats that are dumped around here don't last long. This one has lasted over a year now. However, my chickens often chase it up a tree. LOL

Thread Information