Thread: Fussy funny froggys......

snoopfroggyfrog

Default Fussy funny froggys......

Hi guys....
    my little guys are at times so funny.. ive been feeding them crickets i started with small blacks & have since moved on to standard mediums through flook actually as the store had run out of smalls.
    Ive tried to vary there diet at bit and tried them with wax moth larvea.... that was funny one of the frogs dived at full speed down to the dropped prey grabbed it into his mouth and looked totally mortified and opened his mouth and dropped it like a hot brick!.. and sat there opening and shutting his mouth as if to say "what the heck was that!".....
    then yesterday i tried meal worms & the same thing happened and this time lets just say im convinced i got a look of disgust.....he hee...
    has any one else had this happen?
    I thought just crickets would be boring for them on a long term basis... anyone have any other ideals for treats or alternatives?........

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Fussy funny froggys......

Roaches.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Locusts are also good if you can get hold of them.

thejolta

My frogs love moths in the summertime when I can catch them outside. Probably too late in the year for that though. My frogs will just jump all over the cage catching them.

Kaeru79

My little guy won't even LOOK at his waxworms... they've been in the bowl just sitting there for several days now - but he went wild when I gave him the crickets so maybe they are just more fun to eat lol
    Emily

Kaeru79

Once in a while if I don't check them before I buy them, I end up opening the waxworms to find that they're turning into moths. I usually toss them out the window or something... would be it okay to put them in with my Dumpy instead? My reptiles aren't really interested in them once they're moths so I never really thought about keeping them around. Sad because I just got some like that yesterday and I tossed them all out! Didn't think to give them to the frog...
    Emily

Kurt

Give the moths to the frogs! They love them. Letting waxworms mature into moths is the best way to provide your frogs with a safe moth meal.

Kerry1968

I've found my White's is only really interested in larger prey! I bought some smaller crickets this time (they were cheap!) and he hardly looks at them. After a long while he'll eventually eat a few, but quickly loses interest again.
    I recently bought some cockroaches (Turkistan) and they were a lot larger than I thought they would be (ordered online) I put one in alongside the smaller crickets, WHAM! it was the first bug to be gone! I'm hoping to breed the roaches, cheap food for froggie! Though I have to do some research into how to keep and breed them.

Kurt

Good luck with that. From what I hear its not too difficult.

scribbles

My White's will eat anything. They love mealworms.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopfroggyfrog View Post
    Hi guys....
    my little guys are at times so funny.. ive been feeding them crickets i started with small blacks & have since moved on to standard mediums through flook actually as the store had run out of smalls.
    Ive tried to vary there diet at bit and tried them with wax moth larvea.... that was funny one of the frogs dived at full speed down to the dropped prey grabbed it into his mouth and looked totally mortified and opened his mouth and dropped it like a hot brick!.. and sat there opening and shutting his mouth as if to say "what the heck was that!".....
    Luigi did that exact same thing the first time I gave him a waxworm. I had posted it in a thread somewhere. It was hilarious to watch.

Kaeru79

Thanks Kurt! I definately will keep them from now on

Kurt

You're welcome.

Thread Information