Thread: New to frogs, have one Pacman. Please give me any and all advice on care and HOUSING/HABITAT :)

iLuvChumbaWumba

Question New to frogs, have one Pacman. Please give me any and all advice on care and HOUSING/HABITAT :)

After much window shopping and internet reasearch I have finally purchased my first pacman frog and absolutly love Chumba Wumba! I instantly fell in love with pacman frogs after watching a YouTube video of a pacman trying to eat bugs if the screen of an iPhone/Smartphone then bit the finger of the owner, absolutly adorable! Any how I would appreciate any and all advice I can get on the general care and habitat upkeep/maintenance for these wonderful little (not so little) critters! This is currently what the frog is housed in and what is in the habitat. Please leave your comments and advice!

20 gallon long tank with mesh/screen lid.
    Large clean hand towel covering half of the lid only (Helps to keep humidity up?)
    Live pothos and philodendron planted in the tank
    A rocky drainage (?) layer surrounding the plants/their roots (we know how the pacman like to burrow )
    Coco husk bedding on top, cushy layer
    Reptile moss on the side with the heat pad
    Soaking/water dish on the opposite half of the tank (opposite to the UTH pad, Zoo Med brand)
    One fake plant that sticks to the side of the tank
    Temp and humidity gauges (Not auto)

I feel like I should be adding a better drainage layer..hydro balls or? The humidity seems to go between 70 and 80% when half the lid is covered. The tank does get sunlight during the day. I mist two to three times a day with room temp. water thats has been purified with a reptile safe water condtioner. The heat seems like it may be a little low so i was thinking that I should but another UTH? I heard and read that above tank heat emiters are to drying. Oh and there is also a dry/cooler side to the tank, same side the water/soaking dish is on. I was thinking that I should switch substrates to the Eco Earth? I was also considering purchasing an Exo Terra water fall to help with the humidity levels and getting rid of the soaking/watering bowl. Is this an ok or good idea? I read and was told that pacman frogs hardly ever move. So is it expected or normal that he has not moved but a few inches from where I placed him in the tank a few days ago? He does move when I take him out of the tank for feeding. Which is every two and every three days, I alternate. I was reading that they do not need to eat every day? I am feeing dusted crickets, dubia, wax, and meal worms. What do you guys think about that? I alternate on what I feed. For example.. one day it will be crickets and meals and the next day of feeding it will be meal and wax worms. The frog is about the size of a fifty cent piece so Chumba Wumba is still small.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New to frogs, have one Pacman. Please give me any and all advice on care and HOUSING/HABITAT :)

Quote Originally Posted by iLuvChumbaWumba View Post
    After much window shopping and internet reasearch I have finally purchased my first pacman frog and absolutly love Chumba Wumba! I instantly fell in love with pacman frogs after watching a YouTube video of a pacman trying to eat bugs if the screen of an iPhone/Smartphone then bit the finger of the owner, absolutly adorable! Any how I would appreciate any and all advice I can get on the general care and habitat upkeep/maintenance for these wonderful little (not so little) critters! This is currently what the frog is housed in and what is in the habitat. Please leave your comments and advice!

20 gallon long tank with mesh/screen lid.
    Large clean hand towel covering half of the lid only (Helps to keep humidity up?)
    Live pothos and philodendron planted in the tank
    A rocky drainage (?) layer surrounding the plants/their roots (we know how the pacman like to burrow )
    Coco husk bedding on top, cushy layer
    Reptile moss on the side with the heat pad
    Soaking/water dish on the opposite half of the tank (opposite to the UTH pad, Zoo Med brand)
    One fake plant that sticks to the side of the tank
    Temp and humidity gauges (Not auto)

I feel like I should be adding a better drainage layer..hydro balls or? The humidity seems to go between 70 and 80% when half the lid is covered. The tank does get sunlight during the day. I mist two to three times a day with room temp. water thats has been purified with a reptile safe water condtioner. The heat seems like it may be a little low so i was thinking that I should but another UTH? I heard and read that above tank heat emiters are to drying. Oh and there is also a dry/cooler side to the tank, same side the water/soaking dish is on. I was thinking that I should switch substrates to the Eco Earth? I was also considering purchasing an Exo Terra water fall to help with the humidity levels and getting rid of the soaking/watering bowl. Is this an ok or good idea? I read and was told that pacman frogs hardly ever move. So is it expected or normal that he has not moved but a few inches from where I placed him in the tank a few days ago? He does move when I take him out of the tank for feeding. Which is every two and every three days, I alternate. I was reading that they do not need to eat every day? I am feeing dusted crickets, dubia, wax, and meal worms. What do you guys think about that? I alternate on what I feed. For example.. one day it will be crickets and meals and the next day of feeding it will be meal and wax worms. The frog is about the size of a fifty cent piece so Chumba Wumba is still small.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
    First off welcome to Frog Forum. You've found the right place for info.

Things you should not keep with your pacman in the tank. absolutely no gravel unless there is a screen or terrarium carpet to delegate the substrate from the drainage layer. this prevents your frog from digging the gravel up to surface where it can be accidentally ingested.

No moss if feeding within the frogs home. If accidentally ingested it can cause impaction and death as will the gravel.

The substrate you should be using is Coconut Fiber not Husk.

Stop feeding him mealworms. the chitin. that their exoskeleton is made of can cause impaction and death due to it being undigestable.

Read thIs Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

There is a lot if good care info in there to get you started. Any in-depth questions just feel free to ask. There are several experienced keepers and breeders here to help.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New to frogs, have one Pacman. Please give me any and all advice on care and HOUSING/HABITAT :)

Just out of curiosity, what species do you have and is it an albino?

Putting the hand towel over the top is okay, but I've found that covering the same amount of the screen with saran wrap and duct-taping it in place actually works better, since it doesn't absorb moisture like the hand towel would. Also, if you want to up your humidity you can put the water dish on the warmer side of the tank. You'll have to fill it up more often, but the more water evaporating means higher humidity.

IvoryReptiles

Just a side note : PLEASE make sure any water you use is de-chlorinated!!
    Grif has already put you on the right track!

Thread Information