Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new tree frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default A new tree frog

I am new to the forum, and have just started trying to keep a frog inside. For several years we have had tree frogs lay their eggs in the stock trough for our horses, and we have tadpoles all summer. This year it got cold early, and I took one of the tadpoles that had not changed and brought it inside and put it into an aquarium. Everything has gone well so far, and I now have a little frog. I am fairly sure that I have an American Green Tree Frog. I have done the coconut fibre substrate, and I had already brought in a tree branch that was in the water outside. I have water, etc. for the frog in the aquarium (well, it is actually a big goldfish bowl). My biggest hurdle at this point is feeding. I have tried flakes of fish food, which it ate when it was a tadpole, and some cricket pellets. I tried to buy crickets, but they are way too big. I don't know where to start finding suitable food, and I don't want to lose my frog. So, any advice is welcome right now. Thanks! Oh, I live in Eastern Kansas.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: A new tree frog

Fruit flies, you need flightless fruit flies. You can get them from Petco or on-line. Either Black Jungle or Josh's frogs can supply them and what else you will need to culture your own. You can also buy very small crickets on-line.
    Whatever, feeder insect you end up using, remember to dust with a calcium and vitamin supplements. Fruit flies by themselves do not provide enough nutrition.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you! I will go out and get some today. My frog is growing, and yesterday it started climbing on the plants (plastic) that I put inside the bowl. I will report back with the results. I assume it will catch the flies by itself? I am so excited about my little frog! I love having the ones outside. We have tree frogs around our house all spring and summer. Many of them get into my flower pots on the front porch, and when I work on the flowers I see two little eyes staring at me over the rim of the pot. But, having the little one inside is just so exciting to me!

Kurt

Just keep in mind fruit flies can walk up the side of the tank, no problem. So you will have to figure out a way to keep them from walking away. I put either a paper towel or a piece of cloth between the top and the rest of the tank/critter keeper. It allows for air flow while keeping dinner from escaping.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the advice. I have been calling around, and I finally found a place with wingless fruit flies. I have some plastic wrap with holes in it over the top of the goldfish bowl, and I realize that isn't ideal. Thanks for the tip about fabric - that should work perfectly.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Could you post a picture of your fish bowl habitat?

Nationality
    [United States]

Sure! I can do a better job later. Right now I am working.

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks fine in size for now but what is the temperature in there?

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't know the temperature. We do keep our house fairly warm, and when I put my hand in there, it is noticeably warmer. But, I can put a thermometer in there to find out.

I got the fruit flies yesterday evening, and put some in the bowl. My frog moved around more than I have ever seen him move after that, but I'm not sure if he ate any of them or not. I can tell that he's been in the little tray I had in there with the cricket pellets. But, again, I'm not sure if he ate any of those. I am going to clean it tonight and put fresher pellets on there, and this time I am going to count them.

I did have a few fruit fly "escapees," that are running around the house somewhere ........

Kurt

The sure sign to know if he is eating is poo. Even if you never see him eat, as long as food disappears and is replaced with poo, things should be ok.

"Everything comes down to poo"

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll start looking! I guess it's going to be hard to see it, though, on the dark bottom of the bowl.

Kurt

Treefrogs poop everywhere, so it shouldn't be hard to find some, especially on the sides of the tank. I have a bright LED flashlight that helps me spot poop on the coconut bedding.

Nationality
    [United States]

Kurt I am amazed you haven't linked the video again. I am kinda worried about ventilation in there because tree frogs require more then most animals.

YouTube - Scrubs - Everything Comes Down To Poo
    Last edited by Kurt; November 18th, 2009 at 10:55 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Treefrogs poop everywhere, so it shouldn't be hard to find some, especially on the sides of the tank. I have a bright LED flashlight that helps me spot poop on the coconut bedding.
    The temperature in there yesterday evening was 70 degrees. I'm open to other ways to ventilate. This is all new to me. I honestly never expected to be able to get this far with the tadpole and frog. I just hated seeing the tadpole swimming around and knowing it would freeze later on, so I took a chance and brought it inside. Now, I want this to be successful.

Nationality
    [United States]

Kurt why didn't you just make your own post?
    Well I personally would recommend getting a kritter keeper from a pet store. These are small plastic cages. You could also use a chunk of window screen as the top just make sure it is secure.

Kurt

Or a piece of cloth as it is finer so the fruit flys can't escape. You could use a piece of cloth on the fish bowl, just attach it with an elastic.

Tom, would you like me to remove the video?

Nationality
    [United States]

No I don't care Kurt.

Don't remove the video. I had never seen it before and it was most definitely giggle-worthy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah Kurt posted it on another thread but it got totally side longed in a discussion on the TV show Scrubs. So has the tank been updated yet?

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    Don't remove the video. I had never seen it before and it was most definitely giggle-worthy.
    The all NEW season of Scrubs starts Tuesday Dec 1st with a one-hour premeire. Previews can be seen at http://abc.go.com/shows/scrubs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information